Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #151
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

I could live with 68 if:
- rooms had ceiling fans
- it wouldn't turn off at night regardless of temp
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #152
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

There is another thread over on the Theme Parks board talking about conservation. Apparently the roof and window materials they used to make AoA are supposed to help keep the room temperatures down quite a bit. Maybe they over-estimated how effective those things would be at keeping the room temps down.

People waking up sweating is definitely not ok. And anyone has the right to complain about that. Complaining because you can't sleep under a pile of blankets is a bit different.
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #153
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
There is another thread over on the Theme Parks board talking about conservation. Apparently the roof and window materials they used to make AoA are supposed to help keep the room temperatures down quite a bit. Maybe they over-estimated how effective those things would be at keeping the room temps down.

People waking up sweating is definitely not ok. And anyone has the right to complain about that. Complaining because you can't sleep under a pile of blankets is a bit different.
they probably thought that could justify limiting how cool you get the rooms. well it didn't work... and let me tell you if they want to worry about being green and saving energy... they need to look at how these doors seal too. Mine had a lot of light coming through around the edges letting warm air in
Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #154
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Why not? At night I get hot flashes and can ony sleep in a super chilled room. I never liked sleeing under just a sheet. It remins me of summer camp. The bright side is you don't have to pay our utility bills.

The thing alot of the younger women are not getting is perimenopause and menopause. It will happen to you one day and you will be on your knees thanking God for air conditioning. You go from comfortable to broiling in a flash. The best part is you don't know when it will happen or how often each day. Oh and size doesn't matter either. I used to think being thing would save me from all that icky hot flash stuff- jokes on me.
Not only that but medications also can cause the body to heat up. As far as utilities go, what I spend in the summer on air conditioning, I save in the winter by keeping the heat down and the fan running on low, turning in the opposite direction. When I have the grandchildren over, my main concern is their safety and comfort. I put long pant/short sleeve pj's on DGS 2 and in winter long sleeve, long pants or a blanket sleeper. I will turn up the heat to 67 if it's really cold and windy outside. DGD 15, is old enough to dress for her own comfort. I can't help it.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #155
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

One thing Disney can do to keep room temps down in sunny humid FL is to blow ice chest type styrofoam on the walls and in the ceilings.
No kidding, my parents had a 7000 sq ft house and Daddy had a company spray that foam on the outside. His electric bill each month was $135.00. I don't know if it is considered a green product but using less energy definitely is green. The surface was siilar to stucco and easily painted.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #156
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgreg View Post
Has anyone tried filling the bath with cold water, and letting that act as a heat sink overnight?
I wouldn't do that if there are young kids in the room. Too dangerous!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #157
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Why sleep under blankets during the summer, then want the room freezing? We keep ours 76* at night and mostly days - we sleep under a sheet. My SIL freezes our extended family at her house. I would sure hate to pay the utility bills for a lot of folks on here

How would you dress a baby/toddler at night when they don't stay covered like you (general you) do? Winter jammies all year?
I'm an under the sheet and blanket type sleeper. Especially soft blankets. I always remove the bedspread. I was in the room with three girls (15, 10, 4). Everyone was in pajamas and everyone was under covers. Just they way we like it. I keep my house at home at 68 degrees year round. Lower temps also help keep down the spread of all those nasty bugs kids bring home from school.

Quote:
While a typical recommendation is to keep the room between 65 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit, Heller advises setting the temperature at a comfortable level, whatever that means to the sleeper.
Web MD on Best Temperature for Sleeping
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #158
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
This thread is scaring me! We leave for AoA in 3 weeks and I cannot sleep unless my room is freezing. On top of already being one of those people who keeps their house around 63-65..h.
same here, although I'm not going 'til April, but I've had my heart set on staying here for years now and this would be a deal breaker for me. I always feel hot in hotels and ALWAYS, always turn the a/c down to 60-62. Anything higher than that and I sweat all night and cannot sleep. at home I keep the bedroom vents closed so no heat comes in and I keep my windows open. It's 28 outside right now and I have my windows open so it's probably like 40 in my room - perfect sleeping weather.

I've skipped several pages but OP - have you gone to the front desk? Did you ask for the medical thermostat? Has anyone confirmed if this is just the LM rooms or is it the suites as well??
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #159
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One thing Disney can do to keep room temps down in sunny humid FL is to blow ice chest type styrofoam on the walls and in the ceilings.
No kidding, my parents had a 7000 sq ft house and Daddy had a company spray that foam on the outside. His electric bill each month was $135.00. I don't know if it is considered a green product but using less energy definitely is green. The surface was siilar to stucco and easily painted.
That would be good to keep down on noise and hearing your neighbor in the bathroom as well lol
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #160
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why not? At night I get hot flashes and can ony sleep in a super chilled room. I never liked sleeing under just a sheet. It reminds me of summer camp. The bright side is you don't have to pay our utility bills.

The thing a lot of the younger women are not getting is perimenopause and menopause. It will happen to you one day and you will be on your knees thanking God for air conditioning. You go from comfortable to broiling in a flash. The best part is you don't know when it will happen or how often each day. Oh and size doesn't matter either. I used to think being thing would save me from all that icky hot flash stuff- jokes on me.
How in the world is sleeping under a sheet like camp? That's a very new one to me.

Also, thanks for the back handed compliment of being a younger woman . I have totally been there and done that - and also learned to go with the flow. We also have ceiling fans that circulate the air at night.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #161
pugs05
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama

same here, although I'm not going 'til April, but I've had my heart set on staying here for years now and this would be a deal breaker for me. I always feel hot in hotels and ALWAYS, always turn the a/c down to 60-62. Anything higher than that and I sweat all night and cannot sleep. at home I keep the bedroom vents closed so no heat comes in and I keep my windows open. It's 28 outside right now and I have my windows open so it's probably like 40 in my room - perfect sleeping weather.

I've skipped several pages but OP - have you gone to the front desk? Did you ask for the medical thermostat? Has anyone confirmed if this is just the LM rooms or is it the suites as well??
It's the suites as well.
pugs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #162
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
I'm an under the sheet and blanket type sleeper. Especially soft blankets. I always remove the bedspread. I was in the room with three girls (15, 10, 4). Everyone was in pajamas and everyone was under covers. Just they way we like it. I keep my house at home at 68 degrees year round. Lower temps also help keep down the spread of all those nasty bugs kids bring home from school.

Web MD on Best Temperature for Sleeping
Even *freezes* do not do away with the nasty *bugs* going around

As for *recommended* sleeping temps, even the experts can't agree. When I googled it, it seemed it was mostly 68-72 with variations. In other words, as far as people's wants, the nightly temps do not matter as far as health goes (not talking about extremes either way).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #163
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

"experts" in low humidity areas probably have a different ideal range then those in high humidity areas like florida

68 in the winter time is cold at my house when the heat is on (low humidity) but 68 in the summer is warm in my opinion (high humidity) in florida during the summer
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #164
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

did you ever ask about the medical thermostat (or whatever it was called)?
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #165
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
did you ever ask about the medical thermostat (or whatever it was called)?
I didn't... didn't know there was such a thing as an option

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: