Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
2olddisneynutz
Earning My Ears

I'm with you, i wouldn't mind a little fun time for the kids but all afternoon is a bit much. I'll be at Por in 2 weeks and was planning a somewhat relaxing day at the pool with hubby, maybe the quiet pools will be better?

Last edited by 2olddisneynutz; 11-06-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
2olddisneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Back in the day before Value Resorts you got sensory overload at the parks. You went back to your resort to unwind and relax. Yes even the kids could take it easy for awhile without being entertained constantly.

Now, if a Resort doesn't have giant cartoon icons everywhere some people say it's not Disney enough or it doesn't have any Disney theming.

You used to be able to go to the resort pool and relax and listen to the kids laughing and having a great time just being in the pool, even at the Values. Not anymore. Now we have to have music blasting and CM's shouting over loudspeakers all day. Maybe if it had always been that way I wouldn't mind. But this is fairly recent and for people who can entertain themselves at the pool it's very annoying.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

I will agree with you on this also. I have 3 kids ranging in age from 5-16, and think the noise is a bit much. Dont get me wrong, we thought the games and activities were fun, but there is NO reason for the volume level. The kids that were participating would have been able to hear if the volume was cut to a more comfortable level. Not complaining about the pool party, just maybe they could turn the volume of the speakers down a bit.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
JoAnnPan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
Back in the day before Value Resorts you got sensory overload at the parks. You went back to your resort to unwind and relax. Yes even the kids could take it easy for awhile without being entertained constantly.

Now, if a Resort doesn't have giant cartoon icons everywhere some people say it's not Disney enough or it doesn't have any Disney theming.

You used to be able to go to the resort pool and relax and listen to the kids laughing and having a great time just being in the pool, even at the Values. Not anymore. Now we have to have music blasting and CM's shouting over loudspeakers all day. Maybe if it had always been that way I wouldn't mind. But this is fairly recent and for people who can entertain themselves at the pool it's very annoying.

JoAnnPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
I will agree with you on this also. I have 3 kids ranging in age from 5-16, and think the noise is a bit much. Dont get me wrong, we thought the games and activities were fun, but there is NO reason for the volume level. The kids that were participating would have been able to hear if the volume was cut to a more comfortable level. Not complaining about the pool party, just maybe they could turn the volume of the speakers down a bit.
I'll third that . We also had no problem with the activities & while the music wasn't our taste we had no issues there. It was the volume . espcially during the 3:00 "pool party" hour.
POFQ had no quiet pool to escape to and the closest one at POR was under going work so it was out of commission
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Agreed! No reason why the volume can't be turned down so that those participating can hear, but others can't.

And I don't understand the "shouldn't go there if you don't have/like kids" comments. Not all kids are the same. Not all kids will want to participate in the activities or like blaring music. And you know what some kids do during the day? NAP. Kind of hard to do with music blaring.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisus View Post
I understand that the pool activities that begin at 1:00 EVERY DAY are great and fun for the kids but I kind of found this unnerving after a while! A lot of the resorts have resort specific music that is relaxing and enjoyable until the chaos starts! We were at Wilderness Lodge last week and had to listen to rock music blaring all day with the activities girl screaming into the microphone! Do we really need to be listening to pink floyd and freebird for the kids at the pool! We moved to the beach for some peace and quite but there was no escape. I am sure this is fun for the kids but wouldnt an hour or so be fair for everyone and not the ENTIRE afternoon! Sorry just had to say it!
Yes .... I absolutly hate it. I complained to a CM last trip and she told me the reason they have this activity was because some parents complained that their kids we bored while at the resort(s). I replyed, Isnt that what the parks are for? and the CM just shrugged their shoulders and said sorry.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

The kids are bored at the resorts? So, Disney should be entertaining children at the resorts too.
We leave the parks to get some peace. Some kids need some quiet time and hence you leave the parks and go to the hotel.
Or is it maybe the parents don't have money to go everyday to the park??? Hmmm hmmmm
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

My response to "bored" kids?? "Bored? You're boring."

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Or as my mom would say "bored? I'll find you something to do!"
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #26
Kimberle
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnPan View Post
I agree - would be different if the quiet pools were actually quiet but that is usually not the case; a whole other issue I would rather not get into right now .
Just a friendly FYI, "quiet" pools mean there is no slide, lifeguards, or organized activities. They are not ment for slient swimming. WDW actually calls the leisuer pools.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
tennessee
Mouseketeer

i go to the quite pool,but understand where you are going with this. I would love to see disney do an all adult resort, I feel people would love that. I understand I am at disney and there is lots of kids, but we all know that not all kids are behaved or parents dont make them behave.I have seen tons of parents put the kids in the pool, go to sleep or drink and just let them do whatever. Just show respect.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I thought the pool parties were fabulous! We could have a cocktail while DS did the party. Total win win. I didn't notice the music being extra loud.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #29
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Just a friendly FYI, "quiet" pools mean there is no slide, lifeguards, or organized activities. They are not ment for slient swimming. WDW actually calls the leisuer pools.
True--but in my experience, the quiet pool at BWI is VERY quiet and the quiet pool at the Poly occasionally had a few kids playing but no music so it was more relaxing than the pool with the slide and activities.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

Not a fan of the pool parties. It's too much, and I have two kids "of that age". Even they're not into all the racket. If a pool and the other amenities a resort have to offer are not enough to keep a kid entertained, something's amiss, IMO.

As someone who's been going to Disney since I was 5, I miss the days when you could hear the resort music and make friends on your own at the pool. The structured games and loud music take away from the opportunity to create your own fun or just wind down as even kids need to do sometimes.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Missus Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: