Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
mlittig
DIS Veteran

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I agree with the other posters that it is mildew as opposed to black mold. Still, it shouldn't be there. A quick wipe with a bleach solution is all it would take to clean it.

We live in FL and have no mildew or mold anywhere in our home. It doesn't grow any faster here than it did up north. With my allergies and asthma, I would quickly detect the slightest bit of mold in the air even if it was not visible.

Glad you got moved. I would have done the same thing.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I found this link to Toxic Black Mold

It does not look like it should be allowed to Grow or where air is being blown into a room as it disperses Spores that are bad for your Health.
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/stachybotrys.html
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum View Post
I found this link to Toxic Black Mold

It does not look like it should be allowed to Grow or where air is being blown into a room as it disperses Spores that are bad for your Health.
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/stachybotrys.html
This isn't stachybotrys. This is just mildew. There is a big difference.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It does look like mildew to me as well. BUT...I have family that lives in Pompano Beach, right on the ocean, and my ds lives in Tampa, close to the Bay. Neither of them has that in their bathrooms!!! So, while it may be an issue in Florida, it isn't something that you should be expected to just 'live with'!!
Housekeeping can easily clean that...spray bottle of bleach water. Easy. And it is preventative..the more it's done, the less mildew will occur.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Think of it this way. This was the bathroom vent. Cold air coming into the bathroom because the guest likes it cold (like 68-70 degrees). Hot, humid air from the shower because the guest likes a hot shower. Hot air on cold metal makes wet surface which causes the mildew to grow.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

I wanted to thank everyone for your help and suggestions. As I said earlier we dealt with a manager at Kidani named Eric. He was fantastic! He corrected the mistakes that were made at the Boardwalk. I specifically explained to Eric that I did not want any free cupcakes and all I wanted was what I paid for. Regardless the following night we walked into this:

The few people we talked to about the situation also said that have never seen anything like that and it is unacceptable.

Regardless, this is exactly what we needed to break us out of the Boardwalk comfort zone. Nothing against the Boardwalk at all, it is still an amazing resort, but it is nice to see other resorts. Animal Kingdom is our home resort and this is the first time we have stayed there. The resort is beautiful and the animals are amazing. My BIGGEST complaint was the distance from the parks. I guess we are used to being around everything and this was a very hard adjustment to get used to. We ended up taking a taxi to most places and getting a cab at Kidani was also kind of a pain. Again, I am used to walking out of the Boardwalk and seeing cab's waiting.

Regardless it was another amazing trip for us. We were able to get into Fantasyland and even had dinner at Be Our Guest. Soooo very nice being able to enjoy a glass of wine in the MK!

Anyway, thank you all again for the help, suggestions and motivation to make our vacation better and not settle for what we were given. I think we are going to try staying at Bay Lake on our next trip.

October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)
February 2014 - Bay Lake Towers/Hard Rock Hotel (First Universal Stay)
October 2014 - Disneyland Hotel Paris (First International Disney)
PAcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcpl View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for your help and suggestions. As I said earlier we dealt with a manager at Kidani named Eric. He was fantastic! He corrected the mistakes that were made at the Boardwalk. I specifically explained to Eric that I did not want any free cupcakes and all I wanted was what I paid for. Regardless the following night we walked into this:

The few people we talked to about the situation also said that have never seen anything like that and it is unacceptable.

Regardless, this is exactly what we needed to break us out of the Boardwalk comfort zone. Nothing against the Boardwalk at all, it is still an amazing resort, but it is nice to see other resorts. Animal Kingdom is our home resort and this is the first time we have stayed there. The resort is beautiful and the animals are amazing. My BIGGEST complaint was the distance from the parks. I guess we are used to being around everything and this was a very hard adjustment to get used to. We ended up taking a taxi to most places and getting a cab at Kidani was also kind of a pain. Again, I am used to walking out of the Boardwalk and seeing cab's waiting.

Regardless it was another amazing trip for us. We were able to get into Fantasyland and even had dinner at Be Our Guest. Soooo very nice being able to enjoy a glass of wine in the MK!

Anyway, thank you all again for the help, suggestions and motivation to make our vacation better and not settle for what we were given. I think we are going to try staying at Bay Lake on our next trip.

Glad everything was resolved to your satisfaction!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: