Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
suprgymbo
Earning My Ears

cruise birthday ideas

My son will be turning 10 on our 8n Bahamas cruise out if Galveston in January. My daughter will turn 9 4 days after our cruise so we will be celebrating bboth on board. Any ideas on how to celebrate?? What is everyone's experience with the cakes and packages?? Thanks
suprgymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
jlynch924
Mousin' Around

I don't have previous experience with this, but DD turns 10 on the Galveston 12/29 cruise and I'm getting the birthday stateroom package. DH convinced me that even though I could do it cheaper by bringing it, there's something special about it being done by them. We aren't doing the celebration cake, as I've read on these boards that they are less than delish. I do plan on asking our server for a special cake on her birthday (1/1). I am also creating birthday magnets for the stateroom door and I got her a Birthday Girl ribbon to wear that day (and a hat, but I doubt she will wear that -lol).
Hope those help you plan the big days!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

My dd turns 10 on our April cruise and it's her bday present we are going to do the bday package for the room and ordering hopefully a delicious cake ..,,

Nikisha421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The problem with the birthday package is that the decorations will be up when you board--they don't go up on the day. I don't want to be a bummer, but there are about a zillion cakes on the ship. There would be no way we could eat the cake that comes in the package before it would be stale, but maybe if you had a bigger groups.....

My suggestion would be that you take along decorations and do them yourself on the big day. If cruising from Port Canaveral, consider a treat from "The Perfect Gift." It will cost less and be way more personalized than anything you can get from Disney.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
cigarboo
Mouseketeer

I ordered the birthday package for my ds12 on our 10/18 dream sailing and was disappointed that the package no longer included the small cake. I wasn't totally surprised because when I looked on-line, the cake was not listed, however when I called to order, the CM stated that the package did include a cake. I think this is a fairly recent change since the CM didn't even know. I thought a few months ago, I remember the cake being listed with the choice of flavor and gluten/nut allergy options.
cigarboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

We celebrated my sons 6th birthday on our September 30 cruise. His actual birthday was October 2. We ordered the birthday celebration package (decorations, magnet, cake) which was all in our stateroom when we checked in. The decorations were great. However, the cake had to e kept refrigerated and once it has left their control they can't keep it in their refrigerator. So we had to keep it in our stateroom refrigerator for two plus days (which was a hassle because we couldn't have water or anything else in there)
Them on his birthday, we brought the cake to dinner and asked the head waiter to hold it until dessert. They almost couldn't do it because they didn't want to risk contaminating other food and they also were concerned for our safety and that of our table mates (who we planned to share with)

In the end, they did keep it for us. The cake was not good at all. It had strawberry filling and was just not very good at all. It didn't have butter cream frosting more like a whipped cream. The package was $53 with tax.

However my son loved having everyone sing to him. Maybe buy a cupcake at one of your ports or buy a cake at a port?

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
suprgymbo
Earning My Ears

Thank you. I'm debating on the package. If we don't purchase a cake, do they still sing?? Where does everyone get there door magnets from. I'm afraid to print them myself. Any thoughts??
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Our cruise in May my son is turning 10. I am bringing my own decorations and plan on ordering the cake of the day or something on his actual birthday-plus reminding our servers.(nothing that is extra money out of our pocket)
One of our port days is the day in between my sons bday and my own and the excursion I am booking will get a cake for us that day too (Not booking thru DCL) My son is aware that the cruise is his birthday gift/party, so that is the main thing! His birthday falls on a sea day, so I am sure he will feel special with so many people wishing him a happy birthday.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
suprgymbo
Earning My Ears

Our birthdays will be on cruise days too I'm happy that they are
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Smileneyes
Father & Son Cruisin' Buddies!

Make sure to have your reservation noted with the person celebrating the birthday and the date. The dining staff usually attempts to bring a "small celebratory cake" to your table.

Will be celebrating my 50th on the first day of our cruise...looking forward to it!
Disney Wonder - June 2005 (4 night) Disney Magic - June 2006 (7 night Western) HAL Zuiderdam - August 2006 (7 night Alaska Interior Passage) Disney Wonder - June 2007 (4 night) Disney Wonder - June 2008 (4 night) Disney Magic - June 2009 (7 night Eastern w/Tortola) Disney Wonder - June 2010 (5 night Double Dip AND 4 night back-to-back) Disney Wonder - June 2011 (7 night Alaska) Disney Dream - September 2011 (B2B) Disney Fantasy - July 2012 (7 night Eastern) Disney Fantasy - December 2012 (7 night Western) Disney Fantasy - December 2014 (7 night Eastern) Disney Wonder - July 2015 (7 night Alaska)

Smileneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileneyes View Post
Make sure to have your reservation noted with the person celebrating the birthday and the date. The dining staff usually attempts to bring a "small celebratory cake" to your table.

Will be celebrating my 50th on the first day of our cruise...looking forward to it!
They aren't the cakes anymore...But they look delicious I think it is chocolate mousse or something.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas
May 2013 Disney Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprgymbo View Post
Thank you. I'm debating on the package. If we don't purchase a cake, do they still sing?? Where does everyone get there door magnets from. I'm afraid to print them myself. Any thoughts??
Whether you purchase a cake or not does not influence the celebration in the dining room. Provided you have noted the celebration on your reservation and/or confirmed it with your head server, the birthday (or anniversary or whatever) person will get a special dessert and they will sing HB. There is often a button presented, but this can be inconsistent. The dessert used to be a cake that would serve about 8 people. This does not exist any more. The dessert is now a mousse thing.

People usually make their own door magnets. You can use magnetic paper in your printer OR use regular paper, laminate it, cut it out, and glue on a piece of magnetic strip to the back.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

We are cruising on Dec 9, 5 days after both my DS and DH birthdays. I ordered the birthday celebration package for the room, but passed on getting a cake. After reading here about how they weren't that good, and knowing how many sweets we will be getting on board, I decided the cake wasn't worth it. I am looking forward to opening the cabin door and seeing the decorations, as neither my DH nor DS will be expecting it.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: