Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Day 2 Part 1: Ready for Rope Drop

Day 2: Sunday October 21st

Finally it was here, our first day in the parks! Originally, we were supposed to fly in this morning, so even though we had not made it to a park the night before like we had planned, at least what was supposed to be our travel day was now our first full day. It started out very early, as our alarms were set for 7 am so DH and I could get dressed and pack up all of our toiletries and dirty clothes from the night before. I got DS up at 7:15 to start getting him ready while DH started bringing the suitcases down to the car so we could get ready to check out. We would be homeless that day, since we were checking out of Wyndham Cypress Palms and couldn't check in at Wyndham Bonnet Creek until after 4 pm!

We were checked out and in the car at 7:45 am. First stop, breakfast! Luckily there is one of these right behind the resort, so we stopped for food and some milk for DS.

Unfortunately, since I was trying to make sure DS ate well in the backseat without making a huge mess, I forgot to take a picture of the doughnuts before we started eating them! Haha But we got 4 regular glazed, one chocolate covered with sprinkles and one sugar doughnut, and they were every bit as delicious as I remembered.

Second stop, TTC! We were heading to Magic Kingdom that day, and hoping to make it in time for rope drop. So far, we were actually a little ahead of schedule which is nothing short of a miracle when traveling with a toddler. We parked and started following the signs to the monorail station!

We got right onto the Express Monorail and we were on our way to MK!

DS, quit being silly!

Much better

As we zipped around, I just took in all of the views I had missed for a little less than a year. I couldn't believe we were really here!

In no time, we were being let off at the Magic Kingdom and I was practically bouncing as we headed down the ramp towards the gates! I took this picture, although I was a little disappointed we were not going to the event and this was another little reminder of that.

We had a little while to wait before the park would open, so we took the opportunity to take some pictures. This year, DS has been obsessed with pumpkins so that's where we went first.

Someone got a little tired of waiting and needed some entertainment while we were waiting...

Lucky for him I had packed it in my backpack that day because I didn't want to leave it in the car all day. Not lucky for me, as between carrying all of the crap we needed for DS plus the iPad and my Nook, that backpack was HEAVY!

Another distraction...the switching hats with Daddy game!

And then...look, someone is up on the train station platform! Here we go, it's time for some magic!

UP NEXT: Our Magic Kingdom morning!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
khertz

Bonus Post: Halloween!

I thought I would just post a couple of pictures from our night of Trick or Treating with DS since a lot of you followed my PTR and I had posted pictures of his Halloween costume there.

Again this year, we went to my friend's house a few blocks down for dinner before the Trick or Treating, this year pizza from Little Caesar's. I was worried about DS not eating with all those people around, but give that boy some pizza and he's good to go! So once we ate, we headed outside to start ToT'ing around our neighborhood. It's very popular in our subdivision and a lot of people come from other towns to ToT there. People set up haunted houses at some homes, and everyone sits out on their front porch or driveway handing out candy, so no having to go up and ring doorbells. We almost perfected DS saying "Trick or Treat" so he managed to get it out at a few stops, and he almost always said Thank You.

Ferocious T-Rex! (He was actually crying because he didn't want his picture taken, but it kind of looks like he's growling, right? )

Ready to go!

My big boy, Trick or Treating (mostly) by himself!

It was even more fun this year than last year because DS at least had some idea of what was going on. So I'm sure next year will be even better!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
xkaittloveex
Mouseketeer

He is your TWIN! That picture of you two together, oh my goodness, you look completely alike!!

And, ahhhhh, he looked adorable in his costume!!!!! Did he have fun?!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We were at DTD on the 20th too, and OMGoodness was it ever a mess. We got stuck in a row of traffic trying to turn left that wasn't moving (while a CM was just standing talking to people instead of helping direct traffic) The guy behind me ended up passing me on the left and pulling into oncoming traffic just to get out and around and about caused at least 3 accidents. It was pure madness.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkaittloveex View Post
He is your TWIN! That picture of you two together, oh my goodness, you look completely alike!!

And, ahhhhh, he looked adorable in his costume!!!!! Did he have fun?!
That's so funny, people usually say he looks like a mini-DH! But I guess in that picture I can totally see it.

He had a lot of fun, except when I let another kid ride in his wagon. That was a near catastrophe!! But he loved going up to everyone to get candy and petting all the neighborhood dogs that were out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
We were at DTD on the 20th too, and OMGoodness was it ever a mess. We got stuck in a row of traffic trying to turn left that wasn't moving (while a CM was just standing talking to people instead of helping direct traffic) The guy behind me ended up passing me on the left and pulling into oncoming traffic just to get out and around and about caused at least 3 accidents. It was pure madness.
That's nuts!! It was definitely packed, which is why we just wanted to get in, eat, and get the heck outta there! Luckily we were able to go back another night and actually walk around and shop.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #36
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

I didn't quite realize how crowded DTD gets on Saturdays until I read your description. I had been entertaining the idea for a DTD visit on a Saturday for next trip but I think I'm going to put an end to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
This picture makes my mouth water! When I lived in the midwest, I used to look for the "Fresh" neon sign turned on at the Krispy Kreme store and would pick up a dozen of the glazed ones fresh out of the oven. They would just melt in my mouth. Sadly, we don't have stores here in the DC area.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #37
Dugette
DIS Veteran

I love his Halloween costume! Very cute!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #38
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I'm always tempted to try new sandwiches at Earl. I LOVE the All-American, but the other ones sound so good too! I'm not that big of a fan of roast beef though, so it knocks out a bunch of others (I've tried it though from my mom, and I think if you like roast beef, it's good!). The Cannonballs one is definitely one I'm interested in. Since we're going in December, it seems like a very appropriate cooler weather treat! Are the meatballs really dense or are they tender? Haha, is that a weird question? I'm not a fan of really dense meatballs. Of course, we might have to make TWO visits since they'll also have the holiday sandwich!

Ahhh, your little dino is so adorable! Maybe you wrote about it in your PTR, but why would he not want to eat in front of all those people? Haha, that's like me ... even now!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #39
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
This picture makes my mouth water! When I lived in the midwest, I used to look for the "Fresh" neon sign turned on at the Krispy Kreme store and would pick up a dozen of the glazed ones fresh out of the oven. They would just melt in my mouth. Sadly, we don't have stores here in the DC area.
I just have to pop in here and let you know that they DO have Krispy Kreme in the DC area. There is one in Alexandria, right outside of Old Town on Richmond Hwy (Rt 1). I'm assuming you live in Falls Church, so it wouldn't be that far from you. We lived in Old Town, and it used to take us less than 5 mins to get there, you should look it up!

Ok, no onto commenting! Yum Krispy Kreme, that is the true breakfast of champions!

I can't believe you were running early, even after having to check out of one resort and make it to the MK! Way to go, you earned your Disney stripes!

Glad you didn't have to wait too long for rope drop, I know how difficult it is with an antsy little boy!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

This is just cruel. I didn't get any breakfast this morning because it took a lot longer to vote than I expected and I get to come in here and read about sandwiches and Krispy Kreme???

Looks like a good start to your Disney visit. That first ride in on the monorail is always a great feeling.

I just got DW an iPad for an early Christmas gift so that she'll have it for our drive down, and so that we can use it as a distraction for DS. Trying to decide whether we want to actually carry it in the parks or not. I'm kind of thinking we might, but I need to find a backpack to throw all our stuff in.

Paxton looks like he made a great trick or treating dinosaur.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
amazingact21
Upendi

DTD on a weekend is just pure madness. I don't get why it's that crazy, and it stinks that you had to park all the way on the other side of the marketplace just to get some dinner. Although, Earl is pretty tasty, and if my DH had his way, we'd eat there everytime we were in the area.

Love your DS's Halloween costume!

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I just have to pop in here and let you know that they DO have Krispy Kreme in the DC area. There is one in Alexandria, right outside of Old Town on Richmond Hwy (Rt 1). I'm assuming you live in Falls Church, so it wouldn't be that far from you. We lived in Old Town, and it used to take us less than 5 mins to get there, you should look it up!
Just made my day!! Thanks!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I didn't quite realize how crowded DTD gets on Saturdays until I read your description. I had been entertaining the idea for a DTD visit on a Saturday for next trip but I think I'm going to put an end to that.

I don't know whether Saturday during the day would be any better, but seriously, if you can avoid Saturday night, do it! It was insanity. I thought to myself as I was pushing the stroller through the throngs of people that this must be what it's like Christmas day in the Magic Kingdom. People EVERYWHERE!!

They got a Krispy Kreme in Metairie when I was in high school, and my aunt loved them so much that she got them ALL the time, so I loved going to baby sit for her kids because there was always Krispy Kreme in the morning. SO delicious!! We don't have one here in Lafayette either, but we do have a little local chain called Meche's that is really yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
I love his Halloween costume! Very cute!
Thanks!! After spending hours agonizing over costumes on the internet, I found that one for $10 at Party City and it was perfect for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
I'm always tempted to try new sandwiches at Earl. I LOVE the All-American, but the other ones sound so good too! I'm not that big of a fan of roast beef though, so it knocks out a bunch of others (I've tried it though from my mom, and I think if you like roast beef, it's good!). The Cannonballs one is definitely one I'm interested in. Since we're going in December, it seems like a very appropriate cooler weather treat! Are the meatballs really dense or are they tender? Haha, is that a weird question? I'm not a fan of really dense meatballs. Of course, we might have to make TWO visits since they'll also have the holiday sandwich!

Ahhh, your little dino is so adorable! Maybe you wrote about it in your PTR, but why would he not want to eat in front of all those people? Haha, that's like me ... even now!
Yeah, the sandwich I had was a LOT of roast beef, so you probably wouldn't like it if you don't like roast beef! The Cannonball sandwich is very good too though. The few times I've had it, the meatballs were really tender, and the sauce is really good too.

He has a hard time eating when there is a lot of activity going on, like at the Halloween party! When there are a bunch of kids running around him having fun, the last thing he wants to do is sit down and eat. So in environments like that, it is usually hard to get him to eat well. Luckily he was hungry and LOVES pizza, so that wasn't an issue this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post

Ok, no onto commenting! Yum Krispy Kreme, that is the true breakfast of champions!

I can't believe you were running early, even after having to check out of one resort and make it to the MK! Way to go, you earned your Disney stripes!

Glad you didn't have to wait too long for rope drop, I know how difficult it is with an antsy little boy!
We had forgotten about the Krispy Kreme right there until we were driving into the parking lot, and then we were like breakfast!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe we were running early either! I thought for sure we'd be squeezing through the turnstile as the train was pulling into the station or we'd miss the opening show all together, but we had plenty of time to wait for the show to start!! It helped that we ate in the car though too, and that we had packed a lot of our stuff the night before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
This is just cruel. I didn't get any breakfast this morning because it took a lot longer to vote than I expected and I get to come in here and read about sandwiches and Krispy Kreme???

Looks like a good start to your Disney visit. That first ride in on the monorail is always a great feeling.

I just got DW an iPad for an early Christmas gift so that she'll have it for our drive down, and so that we can use it as a distraction for DS. Trying to decide whether we want to actually carry it in the parks or not. I'm kind of thinking we might, but I need to find a backpack to throw all our stuff in.

Paxton looks like he made a great trick or treating dinosaur.
Sorry you missed breakfast to vote!! It seemed very disorganized at a lot of the polls around here, so I can about imagine. I got to the polls at 6:10 am and the line was already out the door!

With all of the other crap I had crammed in the bag, it was just too heavy for me to carry the iPad every day. But it was GREAT the two days I did have it with us, despite the extra weight! It will pop up a couple more times in the TR as a distraction tool. Our iPad is in a super heavy duty case that adds some weight too. So if you can disperse your crap into multiple bags so that the iPad is not as heavy on the person carrying it, you should be okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
DTD on a weekend is just pure madness. I don't get why it's that crazy, and it stinks that you had to park all the way on the other side of the marketplace just to get some dinner. Although, Earl is pretty tasty, and if my DH had his way, we'd eat there everytime we were in the area.

Love your DS's Halloween costume!
Yeah, we didn't really think it all the way through when we decided to go there, but it was definitely a good first Disney World dinner, despite fighting the crowds to get it!!

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #44
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

That pic of him "growling"...I really thought he was being a good trex...only to find out he is crying!!
Too funny!

Looks like you guys had a great start to your MK day...hope it stayed that way!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I just had to say Hi! because our trip has so much overlap so far! We're from WI, but our flight connected in New Orleans and were on the same plane that you were! We also stayed in Bonnet Creek for our trip, although we checked in there on Saturday AND we decided to go to DTD and Earl of Sandwich for dinner that night AND we had to park in Timbukto (as we called it!) and walked forever to get to Earl of Sandwich! We love that place though, so even with the really long line it was worth the wait!

Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: