Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #151
macleod1979
Mouseketeer

It's a smart buy, and I think its going to really benefit the fans. New films every few years? Great news!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #152
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I'm not sure I follow.

Walt raiding competitors and other studios/art houses was something you would have objected to?

I think sequels are, at this point, a way of life. They invest so much time and money into developing (or re-developing) an IP...companies need to maximize that investment. That means, among other things, redeploying the IP into public consciousness every few years.

We are not the society we were 30 to 40 years ago. Our public attention span doesn't seem to have the length and breadth it did back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. We don't seem to "latch on" to mythos for as long as we used to, and, instead, jump from one thing to the next. It's like cultural ADHD.

One symptom of that means that companies have to keep their IPs right in front of us, or they fade in popularity and income generation. SW is the perfect example.

There were YEARS between sequels...but if you look at Star Wars merchandise sales, they remained strong throughout...even as Star Wars (the original movie) had been out of theaters for years. Or, I should say, was no longer in it's original RUN in theaters. It was a summer staple, year after year, at drive ins and $1 movie houses across the country.

But that's rather the point. You don't see that anymore. This years summer blockbuster (Avengers) will, by next summer, have it's shelf space replaced by whatever big IP comes out NEXT year. That cycle continues year after year, and, actually, the time span seems to get shorter and shorter.

I'm with you: I prefer original IPs to sequels when it comes to films. But I understand WHY the studios do this stuff. It's a reflection of our culture, as much as anything else.
No argument then. I too understand why these things are done but I don't have to like it nor must I believe it will always be this way.

Pixar, just a few years ago brought quality and imagination first to the forefront with great success. Disney, no longer able to imagine anything bought them. They will eventually drift down to Disney standards but the fact that Pixar did it means other well backed dreamers can still do it too.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #153
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2

I think you almost always agree with with me but still wish to appear more diplomatic.
Are you accusing me if being diplomatic?

Take it back! I'm offended...I'm as "diplomatic" as an armored cavalry division
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #154
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk

99.9% of the time (with the exception of the "character meet and greet", obviously), I'm right there with you.

But this is a different enough scenario to grant some pause.

I THINK (though we'll have to wait and see) Star Wars might be the exception. Mostly because there is 30 years worth of material already "in the bank", so to speak. They're not rushing to create something based on a new, unproven IP.

They're rolling out THEIR vision of an existing IP. It's more like opening Toy Story Midway Mania..which rolled out prior to TS3 by a couple years...than it is, say, something based on "Brave" or "Princess and the Frog" or "Rapunzel".

I can see them wanting to "synergize" that with the movie opening...at least somewhat. Again, I don't expect completion by the release date...but within 6 to 12 months? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
I do agree that this buy is different...because they already KNOW the crap merchandise sells (star wars merch has been the top selling licensed material in 6 of the last 7 years...and the material coming out has been absolute crapola)...so there is more of an "immediate construction" opportunity than with the prior buys...

But I still need to see some real commitment to new construction at WDW and we haven't got there yet.
MK didn't need the construction - but got it for merch expansion...

Epcot is falling behind and needs a concerted effort again.

Studios and AK have needed more vision since day 1...and though they've been expanded...they are not worth $100 bucks a day.

For gods sakes...downtown is crying for help and they have sat on it in embarrassing fashion for 5 years.

I'm critical on this...I know. But I need to see it. All parts need more "re-investment"...and they can use Lucas freely to try and do that now.

But as I have stated before "Trust only the shovels" at WDW
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #155
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

George Lucas Will Give Most of His $4 Billion From Disney to Charity
http://www.slashfilm.com/george-luca...ey-to-charity/
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #156
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I like that. It sums up my thoughts very concisely.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #157
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
I do agree that this buy is different...because they already KNOW the crap merchandise sells (star wars merch has been the top selling licensed material in 6 of the last 7 years...and the material coming out has been absolute crapola)...so there is more of an "immediate construction" opportunity than with the prior buys...

But I still need to see some real commitment to new construction at WDW and we haven't got there yet.

Studios and AK have needed more vision since day 1...and though they've been expanded...they are not worth $100 bucks a day.

For gods sakes...downtown is crying for help and they have sat on it in embarrassing fashion for 5 years.

I'm critical on this...I know. But I need to see it. All parts need more "re-investment"...and they can use Lucas freely to try and do that now.

Oh, I agree. No matter what they announce, until there is vertical construction (and not always even then..Witness Pop Century Phase II), there's no sure thing.

But this is different. We're speculating on likelihood, not certainties, or already announced projects. For sure, it's not a definite.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #158
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:

FWIW's... Here's my take on a couple of things above...

MK didn't really need the construction, But i'll be willing to say it got it for more than just the merch possibilities. I'm betting the increased capacity of the park (so they can cram more people in during capacity crowd times like the holidays), The addition of a people-eater (Mermaid Omnimover) to chew threw Fantasyland Crowds, and the addition of a tableservice restaurant (to use up all those "Free Dining" credits in the MK) wher also big considerations.

EPCOT..... Totally agree....At the very least, 'Futureworld' needs some SERIOUS help.

MGM.... I believe it had a decent 'vision' at the beginning, it just didn't have much in the way of capacity. It did however meet it's initial goal of a working studio with a few attractions for paying guests to visit. (and of course, back then one-day tickets were much cheaper than $100). Today however... It really does need some help. With the closing of the functional studio, The park doesn't really have the focus or vision it could have, and the layout no longer really fits the needs of the current use of the property.

AK... Totally needs some help, and i'm thinking/hoping that what they do with the Pandora Project will help fix some of the gaps within the park's offerings.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #159
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Are you accusing me if being diplomatic?

Take it back! I'm offended...I'm as "diplomatic" as an armored cavalry division
Lol! Only with me because YOU know I'm one of the old-timers ... who is not trying real hard. How's that?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #160
bwang123

Last edited by bwang123; 11-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: