Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #856
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie
Just wanted to say that if anyone is on the cliff of whether to book a trip or not my advice is JUST DO IT!

I wasn't sure I really could afford our recent trip this past August but it was so much fun to be with my grown kids. This is our first trip since my DH passed.

Fast forward to this past week. Hurricane Sandy hit us! My sister lost her entire home and I lost the first floor of my home. We had no power for a week and I have seen more devastation then I ever want to remember. I won't be going to WDW for a long time so I am so happy to have my memories this past August.

SO Please if any of you or your families are thinking about going, please just BOOK IT! You never knows what tomorrow brings.

I will personally give a heads up to the National Guard from all over the USA, Military as well as services from every state imaginable. Your hospitality and help has been tremendous!

If anyone has clothing or personal items please donate them to the Red Cross. Temps at night here are 38 degrees and going down each night. Our people are freezing and homeless. Do I even say there is a NorEaster hitting us on Wednesday. This is just too much to bear

Thanks for letting me share!!
I am so sorry for everything you and your family have been through. It has to be so hard for everyone. I have family in Pennsylvania and they also got hit but not nearly as much as some others. My heart goes out to everyone that went through this. Praying for everyone
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #857
Specter
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
Just clarifying your last point: there is no direct MK bus from SOG. The TTC bus runs every 20 minutes though.
Sorry, yes, TTC is what I meant, not MK.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #858
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
Just wanted to say that if anyone is on the cliff of whether to book a trip or not my advice is JUST DO IT!

I wasn't sure I really could afford our recent trip this past August but it was so much fun to be with my grown kids. This is our first trip since my DH passed.

Fast forward to this past week. Hurricane Sandy hit us! My sister lost her entire home and I lost the first floor of my home. We had no power for a week and I have seen more devastation then I ever want to remember. I won't be going to WDW for a long time so I am so happy to have my memories this past August.

SO Please if any of you or your families are thinking about going, please just BOOK IT! You never knows what tomorrow brings.

I will personally give a heads up to the National Guard from all over the USA, Military as well as services from every state imaginable. Your hospitality and help has been tremendous!

If anyone has clothing or personal items please donate them to the Red Cross. Temps at night here are 38 degrees and going down each night. Our people are freezing and homeless. Do I even say there is a NorEaster hitting us on Wednesday. This is just too much to bear

Thanks for letting me share!!
I am just so very sorry for the loss and devistation you and the communities around you are experiencing.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #859
Kmhamrick
Earning My Ears

Need Info on SOG...1st Trip!

Hi everyone. My husband and I are taking our first trip to SOG at the end of December. It's a last big thing before he gets deployed. We have already booked our room at SOG, but still I would like some info on the place. You can only tell so much by photos on the web. A few things I wanted to know about is the transportation. Is it just easier to walk to the Polynesian and take the buses from there? How is the food there?

I think we'll rent a car when the time comes closer that we'll just pick up at the airport in Orlando, but how is the parking at the resort? Do you have to pay?, I know some places charge. This is also my husbands first time to WDW and I want him to have a great time. Staying at SOG is wayyyy cheaper than staying at an "actual" WDW resort.

Any info that any of you have would be so helpful. I just want this trip to go smoothly and I want us to be able to enjoy our last vacation before his trip over the pond. Thank you all in advance!
Kmhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #860
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

We just got back Monday. We find the bus transportation to be good. They run buses to DTD, HS, AK and BB (Typhoon Lagoon is closed for refurb) once an hour on the half hour. If you work your schedule around those times, great. If you don't there is a bus to the TTC every 20 minutes and bus stops for both AK & HS are right by the Shades bus stop. This is what we did probably half the time. I don't think we ever took a Shades bus back except from DTD. We'll hop on any bus to the TTC or monorail resort rathen than wait. Once we hopped a bus to the new Art of Animation resort just to see it

Food... we only ate breakfast. We had the Great Fall special that included a free buffet. I think the breakfast was good. They have an omlette station that will make whatever you like including eggs over easy. So you can get something hot and fresh if you want.

One shout out for the bar (not the food) at Evergreens. We stopped our last night for a couple drinks and were pleasantly surprised. Tasty and not overpriced like at Disney bars and restaurants. We wished we'd stopped sooner but past experience prevented us. Ooooh fresh popcorn too! Always a plus.
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #861
wlvsfnz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmhamrick View Post
Hi everyone. My husband and I are taking our first trip to SOG at the end of December. It's a last big thing before he gets deployed. We have already booked our room at SOG, but still I would like some info on the place. You can only tell so much by photos on the web. A few things I wanted to know about is the transportation. Is it just easier to walk to the Polynesian and take the buses from there? How is the food there?

I think we'll rent a car when the time comes closer that we'll just pick up at the airport in Orlando, but how is the parking at the resort? Do you have to pay?, I know some places charge. This is also my husbands first time to WDW and I want him to have a great time. Staying at SOG is wayyyy cheaper than staying at an "actual" WDW resort.

Any info that any of you have would be so helpful. I just want this trip to go smoothly and I want us to be able to enjoy our last vacation before his trip over the pond. Thank you all in advance!
I just made my reservations for SOG last week and was told that the price for the parking garage is $5 a day and it was even on our confirmation notice. This is our 4th time staying at SOG and we have always found the buses to be ok as long as you watch the schedules. As for the food, we do the breakfast buffet at the Garden Gallery. It's not bad, considering you really can't screw up breakfast. Hope you and your husband have a great time!

OFFSITE - 3 times
1996 - CBR
1998 - All Star Music
2003 - WL (Honeymoon)
2004 - WL (1 Yr Anv)
2008 - SOG
2010 - SOG
2011 - SOG
2013 - SOG (10 Yr Anv)
2014 - SOG
wlvsfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #862
Kmhamrick
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the great and helpful info. I've stayed at other Disney resorts before and just wasn't sure how this would measure up. We're both excited and from what I've read, I sure we'll have a great time! Can't wait to get to Disney...December, hurry up!
Kmhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #863
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmhamrick
Thank you for the great and helpful info. I've stayed at other Disney resorts before and just wasn't sure how this would measure up. We're both excited and from what I've read, I sure we'll have a great time! Can't wait to get to Disney...December, hurry up!
Its great you are doing wdw before he gets deployed. We did this one year right before my dh was deployed. You will like SOG it is very nice. We were just there this past October. The rooms are nice and spacious and clean. It is a huge hotel I was shoked how big it was. I didn't realize it until we started walking around. The difference is that you don't get that Disney feeling while there. We had breakfast and dinner at the buffet. My family thought it was pretty good. Oh...the butter they have for the waffles....mmmmm so yummy. Lol the parking is $5.00 a day.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #864
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmhamrick View Post

To get to the MK or EPCOT it's easier to just go to the front entrance of the resort and ask the bellhops if you could take the Shady Shuttle to the end of property so you can walk to the Polynesian. From there you just hop the monorail straight to the MK or if you are going to EPCOT the monorail will loop to the TTC and you just walk across and hop the EPCOT monorail line. That's what we did when we were there in August. I hope you have a good time!
Edited to add: at night and for EMH you will have to catch a bus back to the resort from the TTC. They dont run the monorails from an hour after the parks reg. closing hours.

Last edited by lilsk8nmac; 11-09-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: adding more help!
lilsk8nmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #865
DisneyDreamer0610
Earning My Ears

How so cheap?

I'm confused, my husband is 100% disabled and the price rate that is on the website is like $105-135/night. how are people posting 7 days for like $350? Did I miss something?

(sorry I'm new to this!)
DisneyDreamer0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #866
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

what is the best way to get from AOA to SOG and back?
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POR Royal Room, Surprise trip for kids!

wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #867
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

We just booked our SOG stay March 17-23, 2013 for $76/night!!!

Can't beat that!

Disneyland- June 2003-CL at Disneyland Hotel
WDW - March 2013 - Shades of Green

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!
deannaf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #868
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmtexas View Post
what is the best way to get from AOA to SOG and back?
You should could either go to the Poly and take the monorail to the MK and pick up a AOA bus from there and then do the same thing back. Or go to the TTC and take the monorail or ferry across to MK and pick up the bus there to AOA, then you'd have to take the AOA bus back to the MK and then get back to the TTC to get the SOG bus back to the resort.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #869
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

We were just at SOG in October. When we wanted to go somewhere we would have someone from SOG take us to the end if the property and we would walk to poly then a monorail to Epcot or MK or to ttc. Coming back same way but it never failed every time we got lucky enough to get a bus as it was pulling into SOG as we were ready to cross from the poly.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #870
MomToPirate&Princess
Mouseketeer

Getting back to SOG from AK, HS, Water Parks if just miss the SOG bus

We've never had problems getting to the parks using the bus schedule, but on our last trip there were several cases where we just missed the SOG bus at AK, HS, or Water Parks. Then we're torn as to what is a quicker option back - a TTC bus, a Poly bus, wait for the next SOG bus. What do you think is quicker?
MomToPirate&Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: