Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #136
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSandwich

I promise doing the CP will only help you get the PI! Plus, arrange a meet n' greet with a retail manager while you are down here. On a day off, ask any merchandise cast member for their managers name. Look up the manager's phone number or e-mail address on the HUB. Send them an e-mail asking to arrange a meet n' greet, and tell them you are a current CP and a PI hopeful. In theory this is supposed to be an informal meeting, but treat it like an interview! Ask questions about how they got where they are today, and what you can do now as a current CP to improve your chances.

This is the advice I got, and I found it super helpful! Also, tell EVERYONE you want to apply for the PI! Your trainers, co-workers, managers, coordinators. You never know what advice they might have, or who they might know. Good luck!
I know and I'm excited to get the training in a new role. But I've already done a CP and doing another (after college graduation) seems kinda stagnant or even moving backward. Ok I'm done being a negative nancy.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #137
Musings
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post
I know and I'm excited to get the training in a new role. But I've already done a CP and doing another (after college graduation) seems kinda stagnant or even moving backward. Ok I'm done being a negative nancy.
It is okay to grieve for your loss but you have to look at it another way: there a ton of qualified candidates applying for these positions. You can't help who applies and hiring isn't 100% hit in the hole, that one answer will win you all. You aren't on the other side of the table and you don't know what the other candidates have done or said. In this job market and economy, it is fairly normal to receive quite a few rejections. And the rejections aren't necessarily about you, it is simply that someone else could've said or had more qualifications or had something that tipped them over. You shouldn't overthink it, if you think you did well, then it just wasn't your turn this time. If you want it, keep trying and connect more during your CP. Get yourself out there and don't give up hope. Keep trying, rejection is tough but you still have the CP and you've been accepted before. That is a good sign, you should never take a rejection personally ever. They're not rejecting you personally, it is just quite a few people out there, and you should feel ecstatic you got to the final rounds, that means they saw something in you. But they did have limited spaces. It means you're more likely to be closer next time.
Musings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #138
tggrbuny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post
Thanks. This was my second time applying for it too though. I've applied 2 semesters ago but didn't get far at all. I got further this time, but it just wasn't enough I guess. Don't really feel like my chances would be any better next semester - probably worse. A lot of people do PIs after graduation and more people graduate in May than December, so most likely even more people will be applying for the Fall 2013 PIs. I graduate in December, so my last to chance to apply for PIs anyway is for Fall '13 since being in the CP counts towards PI requirements (since I won't be in school). Super bummed.

I am doing the CP (mostly because I don't have any other job lined up and I've already paid the fees), but I'll be in Hospitality. So, it will be hard for me to connect with retail managers. My merchandise training at Disney has expired, so it's not like I can pick up shifts either. No idea where to even improve on how my interviews went. I thought I did well. I was pretty much told a lot of what I said in my interview by my former manager. So, I don't know what they're looking for when I took advice straight from a manager.

I'm still in interview stage for CP Alumni Only PIs, but little hope for it now.

Excuse my negativeness. Just really bummed out. Congrats to everyone else.
I am feeling your pain. However I might be able to be of help. I have a CP in merchandising. Perhaps you can stop by from time to time and I can introduce you to retail managers.

I have to admit that I am feeling much like you are, I was so excited for going as a PI and being a CP seems like a settling. BTW Hospitality was my first choice...how life is full of twists. I have decided that Disney is Disney and I will make the best of it regardless of my location or status.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #139
tggrbuny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
Ugh that sucks. That's one of the bad things about the 'net. You end up knowing too much sometimes. Ihope he's offered something else and this one opens up for you.
I wish you were right, but the guy on FB posted that he accepted the position this afternoon. My only hope is that he gets offered a better positon and they seek me out. If not I will work my CP and be happy.

I am trying really hard to smile and go on, but I am still sad. It really changes everything I was expecting, so I have to make a new plan.

Regardless, thanks for all the support. It helps
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #140
tggrbuny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymarie View Post
Your very welcome!!! Good luck on the PI, I'm sure everything will workout
Well it doesn't look look good right now, but I will be try to positive and move forward.

My degree to be is forensic accounting. Perhaps you could introduce me to some of your managers or send me the names of people that it would be good to talk with at some point later in the season. It might help for the next round of internships.

Regardless I am going to spend the winter in Florida and that is a good thing!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #141
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

My CP last year was in merchandise so I'm definitely not new to Disney merch and have kept in touch with all my old managers through this process. I'll probably still maintain these relationships in case I do apply again for a PI.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #142
raionheart
Earning My Ears

Does anyone happen to know the average pay rate for PIs? Like the minimum to expect to the maxium. I am really curious but it's not the type of question you would ask in an interview lol.

And what apartments are offered to them with the rate depending on the # of roommates?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by raionheart; 10-31-2012 at 09:04 PM.
raionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #143
Ikcerog
The Adventures Continue

Greetings, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raionheart View Post
Does anyone happen to know the average pay rate for PIs?
I can't speak for the Alumni, but this write-up indicates around $19/h.
http://www.careerleak.com/walt-disne...al-intern-908/

As far as the apartment rates, I'm not sure; if you're living in one of the four CP complexes, it's probably the standard pricing model. I was told there are plenty of properties for rent with the 6-month turnaround in mind. My interviewer said it's never been a problem. (Possibly a sweeping statement, and perhaps there are exceptions.) Is the stuff that's available in the CP housing probably Patterson and Commons?

On a side note, I recently received the background check and work authorization email; on the 30th. I replied that evening, but my Dash not changed. Does this mean anything? Anyone else with a similar situation? *Reading backwards thru the thread now, will delete these questions if they've already been answered.*

Last edited by Ikcerog; 11-02-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Ikcerog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #144
Dani_H
Earning My Ears

Pay and Apt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raionheart View Post
Does anyone happen to know the average pay rate for PIs? Like the minimum to expect to the maxium. I am really curious but it's not the type of question you would ask in an interview lol.

And what apartments are offered to them with the rate depending on the # of roommates?

Thanks in advance!
It ranges depending on your PI, The lowest I know is 9.50 and I think the highest was $19. most of them are around $10 an hour. Unless you have a MI and they get paid a lot more since they are salaried.

As far as apartments, PIs who live in disney housing live at Falcon square

Address: 14600 Avenue of the Groves, Winter Garden, FL 34787

When I did my PI, I lived in Disney housing but it was Cumberland park and had a two bedroom (so 4 people total) and paid about $500 a month
Dani_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #145
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_H View Post
It ranges depending on your PI, The lowest I know is 9.50 and I think the highest was $19. most of them are around $10 an hour. Unless you have a MI and they get paid a lot more since they are salaried.

As far as apartments, PIs who live in disney housing live at Falcon square

Address: 14600 Avenue of the Groves, Winter Garden, FL 34787

When I did my PI, I lived in Disney housing but it was Cumberland park and had a two bedroom (so 4 people total) and paid about $500 a month
MIs don't get paid "a lot more". It's within the range you posted depending on position. Only they are salaried and will be working 60+/hrs a week. So if you broke that down hourly, well it would be a lot less than hourly PIs.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #146
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Somebody said MIs are salaried at about $600 a week I thought. I've also never heard a MI say they've worked a 60 hour week... But maybe they do.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #147
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Its a bit more than that, but salaried and DH is expecting to work no less than 50hrs (standard workweek in the industry) but more along the lines of 60hrs. That's pretty common for food and bev management.

I think it is generous for an internship but it isnt a whole lot of money esp in such an expensive city.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 11-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #148
littlehamsterz
Earning My Ears

Wink

:D Hey guys, I just found this thread.

Anybody accepted a PI yet?

I just accepted the PI at the Animal Kingdom Vet Hospital. I'm very excited! It was my second time applying. Funny thing is I got a rejection email at first (this past Tuesday), and I thought oh well. However, the recruiter kept calling me, and I initially thought they had made a mistake. When I finally spoke to him last Friday, he explained that I was actually accepted! :D

I'm considering the Disney housing, but I'm kind of against the idea of sharing a room with somebody. I'm not against room mates, though. I just really wouldn't want somebody in the same room as I am just because I'm terribly messy and I'm sure they would hate me after just a couple of weeks.

I was curious if anybody has considered setting up an external apartment rental maybe at Bella with somebody else in this forum? I haven't found out how much rent is, but I feel like it is not unreasonable to pay around the same price (~$500 monthly) as Disney and not have to share a room if we had room mates in the same suite at some other apartment complex.

Good luck to anybody still interviewing!
littlehamsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #149
delmar411
DIS Veteran

You should connect with other ppl on facebook. DH accepted his MI and already has an apt and 2 roommates setup and he found them through there.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #150
littlehamsterz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
You should connect with other ppl on facebook. DH accepted his MI and already has an apt and 2 roommates setup and he found them through there.
Congratulations to him :D I'm happy for him! I am certainly working on that through the facebook group. Hopefully something works out.
littlehamsterz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: