Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

POR or Dolphin?

We are arriving a day earlier than we had originally planned and now I need to decide on a place to stay. My thoughts were POR or Dolphin for one night. We'll be going to Magic Kingdom the night we arrive and EPCOT the next day. We'll be transferring to AKL.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Will you need Magical Express? If so, it is not offered for people staying at Dolphin so you'd have to stay at POR (or another Disney owned resort) to get ME. If you don't need ME, I might go with POR anyway. It's closer to MK than Dolphin is, and they have the boat to DTD which I would take advantage of before I transferred to AKL.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

If you dont need ME, I'd stay at the Dolphin. It's a deluxe resort in a great location.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
jcriket
DIS Veteran

Dolphin is in walking distance to epcot, if that makes a difference.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

If you are not using ME I would go with Dolphin. Excellent location, it is a Deluxe and all the Boardwalk nightlife is walking distance!!

Not to mention walking to Epcot!!
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

In the past, I'd have wholeheartedly recommended the Dolphin but after many lovely visits, we had an awful stay there in May and we won't be back again. I'd go with POR and the ME.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Belle83
DIS Veteran

If you don't have a car, I would stay at POR. Not just for Magical Express, but Disney will transfer your bags from POR to AKL. I'm not sure if they will transfer bags from Dolphin to AKL?

If you do have a car, I would stay at the Dolphin. Take the bus from Dolphin to MK that night (quicker because of avoiding the TTC), and then the next day, just walk over to Epcot
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
BuzzLiteyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83
If you don't have a car, I would stay at POR. Not just for Magical Express, but Disney will transfer your bags from POR to AKL. I'm not sure if they will transfer bags from Dolphin to AKL?

If you do have a car, I would stay at the Dolphin. Take the bus from Dolphin to MK that night (quicker because of avoiding the TTC), and then the next day, just walk over to Epcot
At this point, it looks like we will be driving. So we should have a car. I like the idea of walking to Epcot.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Dolphin WILL transfer bags to any Disney resort, we've done it many times, as recent as March.

I'd vote Dolphin hands down. I just stayed at POR & while it was quite lovely, I missed being in the Epcot Resort Area.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

The POR, we have had 2 great trips to this resort. Beautiful walking paths, great food court, pools are Clean... Free parking

We stayed at the Dolphin this summer. (dh had a convention there) --I was so under impressed .... talk about a huge let down. We switched rooms 3 times. ( noise, smells.) The pool was filmy, and not maintained well. it might be convenient to Epcot, but that is about it.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
BuzzLiteyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme
The POR, we have had 2 great trips to this resort. Beautiful walking paths, great food court, pools are Clean... Free parking

We stayed at the Dolphin this summer. (dh had a convention there) --I was so under impressed .... talk about a huge let down. We switched rooms 3 times. ( noise, smells.) The pool was filmy, and not maintained well. it might be convenient to Epcot, but that is about it.
Thanks! You say pools, there are more than one?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLiteyear View Post
Thanks! You say pools, there are more than one?
Yes. POR has a main pool, Ol' Man Island, and 5 quiet pools throughout the property. Then there's the main pool at POFQ also, Doubloon Lagoon.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
BuzzLiteyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad

Yes. POR has a main pool, Ol' Man Island, and 5 quiet pools throughout the property. Then there's the main pool at POFQ also, Doubloon Lagoon.
That's awesome! Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

My itinerary is very similar to yours. Added a day on to our vacation and had originally booked POR (we are also transferring to AKV). However, we are going on New years eve and really want to spend the day at Epcot without worrying about the crowds using disney transportation. So for an approx. $60 more, I switched to Dolphin. I've never stayed there but I am really excited to check it out and I love the idea of being able to walk to Epcot and Boardwalk. The pool area is supposed to be fantastic too. I love POR and you can't go wrong with either resort but for the convenience, my vote's for the dolphin. I've heard it's comparable to deluxe resorts.

September '13- Boardwalk & Disneyland Hotel, December '12- 10-Year New Years Anniversary Trip- AoA, BCV & AKV Kidani, November '11- Old Key West, February '11- Family Trip- AKV Kidani & SSR, September '10- Disneyland Grand Californian, September '09- POR & Polynesian, October '08- CSR, March '08- Old Key West, October '07- <3 Disneymoon at BCV <3, '05- All Star Movies, '02- Polynesian, '01- Contemporary, '00- Girls Graduation Trip- Caribbean Beach, '98- Port Orleans French Quarter, '96- Port Orleans French Quarter, '94- All Star Music, '92 Contemporary & COUNTLESS off-property trips that I won't count
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Li Li
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at POR, but I stayed at the Dolphin in Sept. I really enjoyed it. I loved being able to walk to Boardwalk, Epcot and DHS. DHS is just a bit longer walk than Epcot but I enjoyed it. And the boat stop at Dolphin is plenty convenient if you don't want to walk. Plus tons of food options by staying at Dolphin. The pool was excellent; really big with a waterfall and slide!
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: