Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
kdka421
DIS Veteran

"There's only ONE Wreck-It Ralph!" Our Oct 2012/F&W TR *3/11 FINAL update!*

Hello everyone, and welcome to my Trip Report. We got back from our trip last Thursday, and if you followed along with my PTR, or if you're following along from the October facebook group, you already know that wasn't part of the original plan. In fact, a lot of things didn't stick to our original plan, so even if you read through my PTR, be prepared for a number of surprises.

Some basic information about our trip:
This trip was just myself, Kate, and my husband, Aaron.

This is the third trip we've taken to Disney together, in the last 5 years we've been married. We both love WDW, although with 2 trips in the last 14 months, we think it will be a few years until our next visit to the World. [Side note: that's what we said last trip...]

Our vacation dates were Oct 23-30th, although we ended up staying 2 extra days until Nov 1st. That story will unfold, but if you've paid attention to the news recently, pretty easy to deduce the reason why.

Hotel: We stayed at Coronado Springs Resort, our first time at this hotel.

Planned events: Food & Wine festival, Halloween Party, Party for the Senses

About the title: When thinking about my trip report, I was first going to name it something like "A 9th trip with multiple Firsts", [This is Aaron's 3rd trip, as mentioned above, but my 9th] since we had many things on this trip we were doing for the first time. However, even though we did all those things, it didn't really "feel" like a trip of firsts. The quote I ended up using, I'll explain it later in my trip report, but it's one that stuck with us through the trip, and makes me laugh every time I think about it.

And those are the basics! I have a ton of pictures, and especially since we're foodies and many of our goals/plans revolved around food (both F&W and our ADRs) much of this will be about food - but it will definitely involve all of our day to day plans as well. This will include the events mentioned above, plus some other majorly cool things such as the Fantasyland Expansion!!

Index of Posts:
Day 1 - arrival
Day 1 - exploring resort, lunch at Pepper Market
Day 1 - Boardwalk, dinner at Flying Fish, Jellyrolls

Day 2 - EPCOT, Future World
Day 2 - EPCOT, Food & Wine Festival reviews
Day 2 - EPCOT, dinner at Yorkshire County Fish Shop, Illuminations, EMH

Day 3 - Magic Kingdom, morning/afternoon, lunch at Sleepy Hollow Refreshments
Day 3 - Magic Kingdom, dinner at Pecos Bill, MNSSHP (part 1)
Day 3 - Magic Kingdom, MNSSHP (part 2)

Misc - Photopass pictures from first 3 days

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom, morning/afternoon, lunch at Flame Tree BBQ
Day 4 - dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse, quick trip to DtD

Day 5 - EPCOT morning plus relaxing at CSR
Day 5 - EPCOT afternoon, lunch at Via Napoli
Day 5 - EPCOT: Party for the Senses (description)
Day 5 - EPCOT: Party for the Senses (photos)

Day 6 - Hollywood Studios morning, lunch on Sunset Blvd.
Day 6 - Hollywood Studios afternoon/evening/EMH, dinner at Fairfax Faire

Day 7 - Magic Kingdom morning, New Fantasyland preview
Day 7 - Be Our Guest lunch
Day 7 - Magic Kingdom, and changing our travel plans
Day 7 - Magic Kingdom evening, dinner at The Wave

Day 8 - EPCOT, lunch at Le Cellier, more F&W reviews

Day 9 - Cookes of Dublin, Narcossee's drinks/dessert and Wishes viewing

Day 10 - Travel home

Looking forward to sharing my trip with you! Here's a picture from us at the Halloween party. Many, many more pictures to come!

Last edited by kdka421; 03-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Oh, how I love the Swedish Chef!
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
STAYC18
Mouseketeer

subbing...

October 2012 with DH, DS and DSD's all their 1st time...Can't wait hope they like it as much as I do...

Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
cute!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAYC18 View Post
subbing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
cute!
Thanks everyone! His costume was a big hit.

First updates will start soon. I have the post written up, but just need to get the first batch of photos uploaded to photobucket.

I'll be back soon!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Here we go!!

Day 1:

Our first day got off to a very early start. The first of many firsts - this was the first time we were flying to Disney. In 6 trips with my family, all from New York, I'd only ever driven or taken the train, because my mother doesn't fly. Our 2 trips that Aaron and I took from Virginia, we drove because it wasn't nearly as long a trip from that point. However, now that we're living in New York again, we did not want to do the 24+ hour drive, and since it was just the two of us, we decided to fly! It didn't hurt that I found really cheap airfare with United; in fact, the low airfare was one of the reasons we went ahead with this trip.

In any event, our flight left the Albany airport at 6:58am. Even though the airport is never crowded, we knew we should leave plenty of time. So our alarms went off at 4:30am, with a goal of leaving the house by 5:15am. And as everyone knows, we tossed and turned all night in our excitement, so we were up right when our alarms went off, and even out the door a few minutes early. It is a short drive to the airport, we parked, and took the shuttle to the airport. I had already checked us in, so we just dropped off our checked bag, went through security, and were inside with plenty of time to spare. We grabbed a simple breakfast at McDonalds, and waited for our flight.

Our flight left right on time, and we quickly arrived at our connection in Newark. Our short connection left us just enough time to take the shuttle, walk to our gate, and get on the next leg of our flight. We even met up with another family who had come from Albany, was going to Disney; and not only that, was staying at the same hotel for the same dates. Funny coincidence.

The flight to Orlando was just as prompt, and we even landed about 15 minutes ahead of schedule. This was my first time at the Orlando airport, but the instructions on how to get to Magical Express were very clear, and we easily found our way to the area. There was NO ONE around, we got in at an extremely slow time. They checked our paperwork, and we literally walked right onto our bus. We waited about 15-20 minutes for the bus to fill up, and then we were on our way, 1st stop Coronado Springs resort!

Our Magical Express driver was great! He was really funny talking to us as we were on our way, was sure to point out the Disney World arch as we went under it, and he really got everyone even more excited. We arrived at Coronado at 12:15pm, about an hour after our plane landed. We had done online check in, so we went to registration (which also was practically empty), found out that we had gotten the area I requested (Casitas), and were told our room was ready and we could go right over!

Next segment: our first impressions of the resort, and lunch at Pepper Market.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Count me in for your TR! Great start!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Day 1, continued:

After checking in, the first thing we did was head to our room to drop off our carry-on bags. We wanted to shower and change, but we had only packed our dress clothes for later in the evening in our carry on bags, so we didn't have any clean casual clothes to change into. So we skipped the shower for the time being, and headed back to the main building for lunch.

We had lunch at the Pepper Market, which has a lunch buffet. We really liked the set-up, that it was a quick service credit, but that there was still a waitress and a full buffet option. It was definitely a really good value. Our waitress was really sweet, and she took some pictures of us, and went and got our refillable mugs for us. We each sampled a number of different options from the buffet. It was pretty typical buffet food/quality, but it hit the spot. Among the things we tried were: carved pork, potatoes, beans, pasta, fruit salad, etc. As for desserts, they have seasonal ice cream flavors, that day it was gingerbread ice cream, as well as unlimited churros. YUM!

After lunch, we decided to explore the resort a little, so we walked the long way (counter-clockwise) back to our building. We loved the overall look of the resort, and it was really peaceful every time we were out and about. The first day or two we saw a lot of convention guests, and we saw others throughout the rest of our trip, but that never was a bother to us. And all in all, we never saw that many people at all, the resort felt very empty and peaceful.

As for the room itself, we really do agree with many others who say that Coronado feels more like a deluxe-moderate. The rooms seemed more upscale than the ones we've stayed in at POFQ and POR. The theming was just a little nicer, less blatantly "Disney", although still plenty of hidden Mickeys! We had 3 towel animals in our room when we arrived, and they remained in the room for the entire trip, but we did not get new ones. Hands down we would stay in this resort again, this is easily our favorite of the mods.

Our building was Casitas 5, so the furthest away from the main building. We were probably a 8-9 minute leisurely walk to the main building, which didn't bother us since we didn't spend much time there. We were very close to "bus stop 2", which is actually the first bus stop picked up and dropped off at. We loved the location. I would have been disappointed if we were in Ranchos, since the only thing it's really convenient to is the pool, which I never used. Cabanas would have been a fine location too, but being at the first bus stop was really nice. There was only one time, our entire trip, that we stood on a bus, and that was coming home from the parks one evening.

Coming up next: our evening at the Boardwalk, including our dinner at Flying Fish.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
MsHershey
Mouseketeer

Subbing and looking forward to the next update.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm in for your TR! Looks like we were there almost the same dates. I've never been around the CSR but it looks like a very pretty resort.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Count me in for your TR! Great start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHershey View Post
Subbing and looking forward to the next update.
Welcome everyone! Thanks for joining in! Should start to get more exciting with the next update, when we actually start doing stuff, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm in for your TR! Looks like we were there almost the same dates. I've never been around the CSR but it looks like a very pretty resort.
Cool! I bumped into quite a few Disboard members this trip, so I always wonder how many I unknowingly crossed paths with.
I will have to make my way over to your TR as well!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Duzzygirl
Mouseketeer

Love the costumes!

Our trip in April will be our first flight to WDW as well. We're typical road trippers as well. I can't wait to hob aboard the Magic Express! lol

Coronado Springs looks great. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'd love to join in and read about your adventures! I'm loving the CSR pictures. We have reservations at the CSR for our May, 2013 and it will be our first time there. Normally, we book the CBR but decided to mix things up a bit next trip.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
foodrocksluver
It's been you all along

Oh my gosh. I read the first bit about you guys and got giddy. Mainly because my name is Kate and my boyfriends name is Aaron. Kindrid spirits!

Love love love Coronado! And unlimited churros. Hello!!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzygirl View Post
Love the costumes!

Our trip in April will be our first flight to WDW as well. We're typical road trippers as well. I can't wait to hob aboard the Magic Express! lol

Coronado Springs looks great. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Thank you! How exciting about your first flight to Disney too. I remember my very first trip, when I was 10, my brother and I drove down with my parents, while my grandparents flew. I was so mad that they left the day after us, and still got to Florida before we did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'd love to join in and read about your adventures! I'm loving the CSR pictures. We have reservations at the CSR for our May, 2013 and it will be our first time there. Normally, we book the CBR but decided to mix things up a bit next trip.
Thanks for joining in! Yay for CSR! CBR was the first resort I stayed in, and we almost stayed there this trip, but CSR opened up last minute, and I'm really glad we made the switch. I'm sure you'll love CSR. Let me know if you have any questions about the resort that I might be able to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodrocksluver View Post
Oh my gosh. I read the first bit about you guys and got giddy. Mainly because my name is Kate and my boyfriends name is Aaron. Kindrid spirits!

Love love love Coronado! And unlimited churros. Hello!!
That's so awesome! I've never met another Kate/Aaron couple before! Very very cool.

Have you stayed at Coronado before? Do you have any trips coming up?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: