Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

A la carte restaurants?

At which restaurants/quick service can you order a la carte? They all seem to have planned meals rather than sides. We have very picky children, who one day will eat baked potato only, another day broccoli, etc. (Although they'll eat junk food every day, but would like them to eat something healthy on our trip at WDW.) TIA!
ptlohmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
AuntPol
Earning My Ears

I have a vegetarian 13 year old (or should I say pastafarian lol-pickiest child known to mankind!!!)

At Tony's and Mama Melroses, we were able to get pasta with sauce without the meat for our vegetarian girl. I would think at non price-fixed restaurants, you could easily order a la carte.

I don't have an answer but at Cinderella's Royal Table, they allowed my older kids to order adult size portions of the kids menu (or kids portions of adult menu) and switch out rice for mashed potatoes, etc. I asked the customer service person when planning the trip and I got a personal email from Chef Bubba that he would work around whatever mood my kids were in that day.

At Garden Grille, we got a kids meal in adult size also -though it took some effort there because our waiter didn't seem to understand that vegetarian girl wanted mac and cheese and not the vegetarian plate (Polenta w/grilled veggies-looked wonderful but she doesn't like polenta).

At quick services, you can order without fries or just order fries, etc. There is a place in Magic kingdom in Liberty square that had just a baked potato as a snack credit.
AuntPol is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

I've never had a problem switching around sides (as long as they are things already on the menu) at any WDW location, CS or TS. So, for instance, even if the meal comes with fries, they will sub broccoli instead.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
AdventureIsOutThere
Just a girl, boy and their dog.

You should be able to order a la carte at all the quick service locations. Even though the menus list full meals you can order any of those items on their own i.e. just a burger, just a fries, or the whole meal with a burger and fries. If you were to order just a burger, for instance, the price would go down to reflect the a la cart price.

When in doubt, just ask when you order
The MountainEars is the chronicle of two twenty-something Disney aficionados centrally located in Colorado. The blog follows their adventures in the 'Land and around the World including what they rode, ate and experienced while visiting their favorite Mouse!

Next trips: DL in Aug/Sept for the Disneyland 10k, WDW in November for the Wine & Dine Half, WDW January for WDW Marathon Weekend (half of us may be Dopey!), and maybe a special graduation trip to DL in April/May!
AdventureIsOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlohmysoul View Post
At which restaurants/quick service can you order a la carte? They all seem to have planned meals rather than sides. We have very picky children, who one day will eat baked potato only, another day broccoli, etc. (Although they'll eat junk food every day, but would like them to eat something healthy on our trip at WDW.) TIA!
You can order just sides at ANY Disney restaurant. I've done it. As I tell my husband, look at the entire menu and if something is listed on it, you can order it alone. Or combined with something else. Your child likes a baked potato and broccoli and both are on the menu, order it. Disney will provide.

You can order things without sauce, you can change sides, you can order just an entree, you can just order an appetizer. You can pretty much do whatever you want at Disney World.

As a PP mentioned, for counter service, you can order things separately. A basket served with fries but you just want the burger? You can do that. Grapes offered as a side - you can order just those. Same with just fries.

Look at the entire menu and then pick what the kids will want. Very easy.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Disney is the most accommodating dining place for people with allergies and finicky children alike.

This is not a reason to worry.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!
ptlohmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: