Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Not on a dining plan, any reason we can't order an appetizer for DS's meal?

Our son will be 3 for his first trip to WDW. He is a decently adventurous eater, and is accustomed to eating what we eat for dinner. I'm horrified at the prospect of him eating chicken nuggets and mac & cheese two meals a day for a week, and since he will eat better, I'd rather feed him better. Since we'll be paying out of pocket, any issues with him sharing some of what we're eating, or ordering appetizers for his meals? We'll be paying out of pocket. Expect to do a handful of table service meals, otherwise counter service.
manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

The only places where this would not work are the buffets and family-style meals. Those you have to pay the full price for everyone, no matter how little they might eat. Otherwise, what you describe is fine.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Since your not on the DDP, I would imagine the only time you would have an issue is if your at a buffet. But otherwise you should be free to share or eat whatever you want. I've never experienced any issues anyway and I like to share, when it's just the two of us (adults) we often get one appetizer, one entree and one dessert and share everything.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

I think your plan sounds great. I'm often drawn more to appetizers on menus than entrees.

Enjoy and have fun.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

As the PPs have noted, there is nothing wrong with your proposed plan. However there is no need for you to be horrified and there is no need for your child to eat chicken nuggets and mac n cheese twice a day during your stay. Spend a little time checking out the children's menus at allears.net, or here under the dining tab. You will find that there is an ever increasing number of restaurants (both TS and CS) that have healthier choices on the kids menus. Hope you all enjoy your Disney dining.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

You can order anything in the World you would like for your DS off any menu. Sometimes we would order a selection of appetizers ourselves to share. Regarding buffets, you'll pay the ages 3-9 price for your DS, but you certainly to NOT have to limit his food to nuggets and Mickey waffles. He will be welcome to enjoy anything on the buffet.

Enjoy! And Kudos to you on boycotting nuggets and mac and cheese!!! However..... there is a lobster mac and cheese somewhere that is phenomenal (i just can't remember where )
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

You can order your son anything you want off the menu. No need to be horrified, there are plenty of choices and you don't need to stick to the children's menu.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

You can order anything off the menu. We have done this for our children and it has never been a problem. Anything from appetizers to sides, never a question raised or an issue. Once our son only wanted a plain baked potato, that's all. Nothing from the children's menu. And they brought him the baked potato.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Disney doesn't care if you order an appetizer for your meal so why would they care about your son. Many times my wife and I have ordered an appetizer and main course and told them we were sharing. Depending on the main course they would split the meal between two plates in the kitchen before serving.

Never a question or an odd look, just good service.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer

We went to WDW a couple of weeks ago and I dont think my son had mac-n-cheese or chicken nuggets once and we were on the deluxe dining plan so we ate alot. My daughter had mac-n-cheese a couple of times but that was pure choice. She thought WDW mac-n-cheese was the best thing to ever go in her mouth. lol. Her words. I think the selections for kids are pretty diverse. You should check out the menus on allears.

charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: