Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
gia2012
Earning My Ears

What is the best resort?

Planning my Disney World Trip and am wondering what hotel is the best for my growing family of 5? Children will be 10, 6 and 1.

Thanks!
gia2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Can you be more specific. What tier are you looking for? Value, Mod, or Deluxe.

Value- AoA suite
Mid- Only one that fits without getting 2 rooms is POR
Deluxe- Wilderness Lodge junior suite sounds great.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
dazednconfused
DIS Veteran

Hi! You're going to get different answers to this question. My opinion:
Seeing as your kids are under 12, I would probably say, Art of Animation. Now, I have never stayed there before, but the reviews are great. You might want to consider the Family Suites there. You get 2 bathrooms, a dining area and a kitchenette. Plenty of beds (typical and not-so-typical ones) for all. And you really can't beat the in-you-face Disney icons. Kids (and I dare say many adults) tend of find them fun. The pools are supposed to be good too. Especially the Big Blue (zero entry which is perfect for your youngest).

There's a lot of info here on Dis and I'm sure you'll have a blast planning this trip for you and your family. Have fun!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You didn't mention budget, favorite parks, activities, quiet resort or bustling, type of theme, etc.

It is going to be hard to nail anything done without some specifics.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
gia2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
You didn't mention budget, favorite parks, activities, quiet resort or bustling, type of theme, etc.

It is going to be hard to nail anything done without some specifics.
I guess that would help. We're really in love with the Poly... but with 5 not really sure how that would work out. Last year we stayed at the Beach Club (with 4) and know that we would never fit 5 in their rooms. I like the Poly because of the monorail since we'll be traveling with a stroller again but am most likely leaning towards a moderate or value since we'll be traveling with my parents and in-laws. Since the pool (with slide) is a big deal to my older two, I'm assuming that limits my selections to the moderate/deluxe?
gia2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
owl0306
Mouseketeer

yc/bc has the best pool the disney resorts offers and the location is amazing. you can sleep 5 plus 1 under 3
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia2012 View Post
I guess that would help. We're really in love with the Poly... but with 5 not really sure how that would work out. Last year we stayed at the Beach Club (with 4) and know that we would never fit 5 in their rooms. I like the Poly because of the monorail since we'll be traveling with a stroller again but am most likely leaning towards a moderate or value since we'll be traveling with my parents and in-laws. Since the pool (with slide) is a big deal to my older two, I'm assuming that limits my selections to the moderate/deluxe?
The Poly for sure!!! The rooms are huge, plenty of room for 5, as one can sleep in the day bed. The Poly rooms all have daybeds, that are very comfy. My DD and DS fought to sleep on it at night.

The Poly has the best transportation, super easy walk to the TTC to catch the EPCOT monorail or a bus. Monorail or boat to MK, takes 5-6 min. We thought the buses to the other locations were very quick, and buses came often.

The Poly volcano pool can be crowded, but we like the quiet pool too. Watching Wishes from the beach or pool is wonderful, much better than fighting the crowds at MK.

My vote is for the Poly

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Your family can legally fit in any room on wdw property. Your baby doesn't count toward occupancy until he or she turns 3. For a deluxe on the monorail I would actually choose the CR first and if you would like to save a little money the garden wing rooms are less expensive. The rooms are larger than the BC rooms. The pool has a slide although it is a little plain. The best part is the walk to the MK. Much quicker than the monorail. For a moderate, I would choose cbr. The rooms are large and the themed pool is fantastic with 2 slides and a separate gated kids area for the under 48" crowd
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
The Poly for sure!!! The rooms are huge, plenty of room for 5, as one can sleep in the day bed. The Poly rooms all have daybeds, that are very comfy. My DD and DS fought to sleep on it at night.

The Poly has the best transportation, super easy walk to the TTC to catch the EPCOT monorail or a bus. Monorail or boat to MK, takes 5-6 min. We thought the buses to the other locations were very quick, and buses came often.

The Poly volcano pool can be crowded, but we like the quiet pool too. Watching Wishes from the beach or pool is wonderful, much better than fighting the crowds at MK.

My vote is for the Poly
I agree .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

With the ages of your children the AoA suites might be fun!
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
bnk1120
Forget filet and champagne. Give me chicken wings and beer!

I would rent DVC points and stay in a villa. OKW has huge rooms and is a short bus ride to all parks.

Counting down to February!

Aulani in August 2015
bnk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'd go with Poly. IMO we had the best transportation there with monorail to MK, walking path to TTC, and so only had to take bus for 2 parks.
Plus the rooms are large.
The rooms are large at CR too and you can walk to MK garden wing would be a cheaper option.

If you felt squished in YC/BC you'll def feel squished in a moderate.

As mentioned, you count as a fam of 4 right now, till baby turns 3. So you can stay at any resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia2012 View Post
Planning my Disney World Trip and am wondering what hotel is the best for my growing family of 5? Children will be 10, 6 and 1.

Thanks!
The *best* resort is the one that YOU enjoy the most - to me has nothing to do with price necessarily. I LOVE going to/dining at the resort hotels, but NOT staying there - yes, maybe I'm in the minority there I LOVE POFQ - the whole ambiance thing

So, it's really what *fits* your family style and budget, and only you can know that Have a great trip!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

I would rent points from Dave's DVC rentals and go for a villa at WL. You'll have plenty of room, and with rented points I think you'll pay less than a room at Poly. You don't have monorail, BUT you have the ferry to MK, and from MK you can hop the monorail and go have lunch on the Poly beach if you want to. We stayed in a 2BDR at WLV last trip and we all LOVED it! We went with our 4 kids & my mom. The resort is beautiful, very tranquil, but lots of kid appeal (and adult appeal!).

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18
DH Me DD16 DS12 DD8 DSDs6 DDDs 5
ashleypmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: