Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #166
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

The difference here is that Snow White was made in 1937, Cinderella was made in 1950, Sleeping Beauty in 1959, Rapunzel was made in 2010. I can't see why they needed to change Cinderella or any of the Disney Princesses. They didn't need to be "modernized", they already make Disney an unimaginable amount of money. The changes aren't going to get people MORE people to buy Disney Princess merchandise and movies. I'm not saying the changes will STOP people from buying merchandise either. But I personally don't like the changes, on Cinderella or any of the other Princess changes either
I agree with you 100%. Not that I don't like the new looks because I think the dresses are beautiful.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #167
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Not that I don't like the new looks because I think the dresses are beautiful.
If it were just the dresses, I could get used to the changes. Jasmines "new outfit" looks terrible though! But it's the fact that they've changed their faces too! Outfits can change, I'll even bend to hair changing (although Belles now looks like a mess, I loved her half updo from the movie! ) But now they have even changed their facial structure. Cinderella now looks like a Barbie doll dressed up as Cinderella and the other Princesses don't look far behind her. I'll be be sad once they have changed them in the parks.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #168
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

If it were just the dresses, I could get used to the changes. Jasmines "new outfit" looks terrible though! But it's the fact that they've changed their faces too! Outfits can change, I'll even bend to hair changing (although Belles now looks like a mess, I loved her half updo from the movie! ) But now they have even changed their facial structure. Cinderella now looks like a Barbie doll dressed up as Cinderella and the other Princesses don't look far behind her. I'll be be sad once they have changed them in the parks.
I didn't know jasmine has changed. Yeah I think they should just leave them alone.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #169
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
I didn't know jasmine has changed. Yeah I think they should just leave them alone.
Yes. Jasmines hair has changed slightly (her fringe and she now has a lone curl) and her outfit is changed Sparkles aside (since all the dresses are going to be sparkly now) her pants now have an extra layer of "material" over them. It's hard to explain but on the Disney Store there is a picture of her new pants.

http://www.disneystore.com/jasmine-t...07762/1000228/
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 11-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #170
tcp0421
DIS Veteran
 
tcp0421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83

Yes. Jasmines hair has changed slightly (her fringe and she now has a lone curl) and her outfit is changed Sparkles aside (since all the dresses are going to be sparkly now) her pants now have an extra layer of "material" over them. It's hard to explain but on the Disney Store there is a picture of her new pants.

http://www.disneystore.com/jasmine-t...07762/1000228/
Thank you for the link. I really do think its a shame.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I Have Been Booed!!!!!
tcp0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #171
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Thank you for the link. I really do think its a shame.
Me too!
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #172
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Yes. Jasmines hair has changed slightly (her fringe and she now has a lone curl) and her outfit is changed Sparkles aside (since all the dresses are going to be sparkly now) her pants now have an extra layer of "material" over them. It's hard to explain but on the Disney Store there is a picture of her new pants.

http://www.disneystore.com/jasmine-t...07762/1000228/
Yuck. And I actually liked Cindy's new gown.

I'd like to think this is just a merchandising phase, sort of like when they dressed all the princesses in gold for a while. But since they are changing the look in the parks too, I'm not so sure about that.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #173
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Yuck. And I actually liked Cindy's new gown.

I'd like to think this is just a merchandising phase, sort of like when they dressed all the princesses in gold for a while. But since they are changing the look in the parks too, I'm not so sure about that.
I think this is a complete change, at least for the time being. If it was just the merchandise, I could live with that. I just couldn't buy the merchandise as I really don't care for the new looks. But since they are also changing the looks in the parks now too.... very disappointing.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #174
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?
 
t_daniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OK
Posts: 3,835

The parks don't bother me, since the facial changes are my biggest problem.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #175
fitzperry
DIS Veteran
 
fitzperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
The parks don't bother me, since the facial changes are my biggest problem.
I agree. Their looks aren't historically accurate; it's more that they represent the time period during which the films were made. They're classics, and I hate to see them modernized.
__________________
Jen

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #176
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
I agree. Their looks aren't historically accurate; it's more that they represent the time period during which the films were made. They're classics, and I hate to see them modernized.
Exactly this! There is no need to "modernize" them. I don't see exactly what Disney is hoping to "achieve" by giving them an updated look. The fact that they are also changing their faces
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #177
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Exactly this! There is no need to "modernize" them. I don't see exactly what Disney is hoping to "achieve" by giving them an updated look. The fact that they are also changing their faces
i bet their marketing department know$.
__________________
OCT '15 | MAY '15 BLT | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #178
starrynightrose
Earning My Ears
 
starrynightrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123

i bet their marketing department know$.
This is true.

Marketing looks at trends in population data. We had to do the same thing in our Girl Scout Council when we went though Strategic Learning for the merging of the legacy NH and VT councils 5 years ago. The biggest fact was that in our two states, the population of potential girl members was (and still is) going down! The national organization, GSUSA, discovered this as a trend nationwide. This combined with the fact that Girl Scouts had to compete with other extra curricular activities was causing a decline in membership. To continue retention of the current members and market to those girls we were losing to other activities, the program had to change. Girl Scouts began offering different paths to participating in the program, such as the traditional troop, one path where girls only attend camp, online troops, an independent pathway, and other different paths. GSUSA also changed the structure of the program. Girls went from learning skills by earning badges to learning their leadership skills through a Journey where they were the ones that designed their program, yes badges are still earned, but they are not the focus of the program anymore. All of this was was done with input from the girls that the program was serving. (I realize I must sound like someone who was a part of this process, however a lot of this information came from a book that was written by the former CEO of GSUSA; it's "Tough Cookies" by Kathy Cloninger. I also learned a lot talking to my mother who was involved with the Strategic Learning for our new council).

So what does this have to do with Disney refreshing the looks of the princesses? Remember the trend of girl population going down? Disney probably discovered that same fact and found that the interest in princesses was waning. So just like the Girl Scouts, they realized something had to change. They had to change the way they marketed the line. A change in marketing wouldn't be effective if something else didn't change, which is why the refreshing of the looks comes into play, they needed something new to market. So this just me speculating on Disney Marketing's part, but it's based on the lessons learned from Ms. Cloninger's book.
__________________
Me DFiance Cali

1989 - WDW staying Off-Property
1998 - WDW at Summerhill Suites
2000 - Disneyland with my Marching Band for a DL Parade and the Tournament of Roses Parade!
2010 - WDW at Port Orleans Riverside for Food & Wine!
2011 - WDW at Old Key West for BFF Reunion Trip!





starrynightrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #179
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!
 
rantnnravin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Posts: 1,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
i bet their marketing department know$.
There was a marketing department involved in the creation of "New Coke" too
"To hear some tell it, April 23, 1985, was a day that will live in marketing infamy.

That's the day The Coca-Cola Company took arguably the biggest risk in consumer goods history, announcing that it was changing the formula for the world's most popular soft drink, and spawning consumer angst the likes of which no business has ever seen.

The Coca-Cola Company introduced reformulated Coca-ColaŽ, often referred to as "new CokeŽ," marking the first formula change in 99 years. The company didn't set out to create the firestorm of consumer protest that ensued; instead, The Coca-Cola Company intended to re-energize its Coca-Cola brand and the cola category in its largest market, the United States."
__________________
lisa on LI


rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #180
CandiceH
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
There was a marketing department involved in the creation of "New Coke" too
"To hear some tell it, April 23, 1985, was a day that will live in marketing infamy.

That's the day The Coca-Cola Company took arguably the biggest risk in consumer goods history, announcing that it was changing the formula for the world's most popular soft drink, and spawning consumer angst the likes of which no business has ever seen.

The Coca-Cola Company introduced reformulated Coca-ColaŽ, often referred to as "new CokeŽ," marking the first formula change in 99 years. The company didn't set out to create the firestorm of consumer protest that ensued; instead, The Coca-Cola Company intended to re-energize its Coca-Cola brand and the cola category in its largest market, the United States."
I am betting that move was motivated by $$. . as in they wanted to move to using corn syrup instead of sugar. . .which is why coke has NEVER tasted the same since.

The change in the princesses is very sad. . . . cinderella's hair looks like she rolled out of bed and pulled it up in a ponytail bun. And the packed on makeup frankly looks trampish. . .but with the sexualization of our young girls before they even hit middle school (just look at the popularity of pageants and how they tart them up), that is the market I guess they are going after. . Next they will remake the whole movie to make her thinner, messier and with a lot more makeup. So disappointing, with our trip looming in 60 days. So glad my daughter had her photo taken with them all last time.
__________________
CandiceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: