Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer

We ate there last week and I loved it. Everything was delicious. I thought this would be the one meal I wouldn't like so much but it was probably my favorite dinner of the trip. The characters were wonderful and stopped by our table twice. The restraunt rotates very slowly so you probably wont even notice and I doubt you would get motion sickness from it.

charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

We loved Garden Grill. We loved the character interaction, and I thought the food was quite good -- especially the fresh veggies.

DS10 requested that we go back in March!

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
AuntPol
Earning My Ears

I ate there last Thursday night and got motion sickness and vomited after exiting the restaurant and my daughter missed the fireworks because she got sick too. My husband also was very dizzy. I don't usually get motion sickness but the restaurant was moving at a good pace. It wasn't so bad when eating and interacting with characters but the other times were hard. Only my son didn't motion sickness (he was only one that didn't get sick on Mission Space Orange though).

It took 10 minutes for our waiter to come and take our drink order. We asked for a new straw because we got our drinks mixed up and the waiter slammed about a dozen down. We asked to have mac and cheese substituted for the fish (we don't eat fish and my daughter is vegetarian/picky). We got the fish and a vegetarian plate that I had to send back to get mac and cheese that we requested. It took a long time to get food because they had to make the vegetarian plate that we didn't want and sent back from scratch.

The food was mostly mediocre -the butter/bread is great and the dessert was very good.

When making reservations, we indicated that this was was a birthday celebration for my son. We reminded at check-in and it was on the slip that goes to waiter and my son had on his birthday button. The waiter did not acknowledge the birthday at all. (Fortunately, the waitress at Akershus noticed his button and did a great celebration the next day-though it wasn't put on reservation there).

The character interaction was among the best. Most of the characters spent a lot of time at our table (Chip and Dale were especially hilarious -Pluto was boring and just came and posed each time -though he was much better on his last visit to the table but I had to initiate the interaction). Dale came about 5 times, Chip and Pluto 4 times, and Mickey 3 times.

The restaurant seemed to be mostly older adults without kids and there were only a few families with kids.

This is one of the restaurants that we did that we won't do again on a different trip.
AuntPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntPol View Post
I ate there last Thursday night and got motion sickness and vomited after exiting the restaurant and my daughter missed the fireworks because she got sick too. My husband also was very dizzy. I don't usually get motion sickness but the restaurant was moving at a good pace. It wasn't so bad when eating and interacting with characters but the other times were hard. Only my son didn't motion sickness (he was only one that didn't get sick on Mission Space Orange though).

It took 10 minutes for our waiter to come and take our drink order. We asked for a new straw because we got our drinks mixed up and the waiter slammed about a dozen down. We asked to have mac and cheese substituted for the fish (we don't eat fish and my daughter is vegetarian/picky). We got the fish and a vegetarian plate that I had to send back to get mac and cheese that we requested. It took a long time to get food because they had to make the vegetarian plate that we didn't want and sent back from scratch.

The food was mostly mediocre -the butter/bread is great and the dessert was very good.

When making reservations, we indicated that this was was a birthday celebration for my son. We reminded at check-in and it was on the slip that goes to waiter and my son had on his birthday button. The waiter did not acknowledge the birthday at all. (Fortunately, the waitress at Akershus noticed his button and did a great celebration the next day-though it wasn't put on reservation there).

The character interaction was among the best. Most of the characters spent a lot of time at our table (Chip and Dale were especially hilarious -Pluto was boring and just came and posed each time -though he was much better on his last visit to the table but I had to initiate the interaction). Dale came about 5 times, Chip and Pluto 4 times, and Mickey 3 times.

The restaurant seemed to be mostly older adults without kids and there were only a few families with kids.

This is one of the restaurants that we did that we won't do again on a different trip.
I am sorry that your experience was disappointing. It certainly is no fun to be sick.

However, I did want to point out that there is NEVER a guarantee that you will get any special treatment for a celebration, even if it is noted on your reservation. That is really completely random and should be treated as an extra surprise when it happens--not something to be expected. It is possible at most restaurants to order a special cake at an additional cost--this is the only way to guarantee a celebration.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
AuntPol
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
I am sorry that your experience was disappointing. It certainly is no fun to be sick.

However, I did want to point out that there is NEVER a guarantee that you will get any special treatment for a celebration, even if it is noted on your reservation. That is really completely random and should be treated as an extra surprise when it happens--not something to be expected. It is possible at most restaurants to order a special cake at an additional cost--this is the only way to guarantee a celebration.
Yes -we discovered that! We booked 8 table reservations -and 3 of them were celebrations (one birthday, one anniversary, and one personal triumph). None of them were even mentioned by server (not even a verbal acknowledgement) so I am not sure why they even ask at reservation if they are not going to do or even say anything? Then you would be beside a table that they predecorated, etc (different server). However, we did have the birthday acknowledged with a cupcake 3 times without mentioning it and at Akershus, they brought out a birthday card which was unexpected. Once was the restaurant that we were celebrating our anniversary LOL -and the other two were just random. That was a nice surprise. It really comes down to the servers and their mood that day. I found the range in service very extreme at Disney.

Anyway, with Garden Grill -it was not so much the lack of celebration as the that was just one example of the poor service (waiting over 10 minutes for to be even acknowledged that we were sitting there much less getting drinks, slamming straws down, slow refills, not bringing the food we wanted). I think the restaurant spinning might make it harder for the servers to keep up since people are in a different place every 5 minutes!
AuntPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
ladeeesquire
Mouseketeer

We were there in sept. Here's an excerpt of my experiences/opinion:

"After many hours of sweating it out around the world, it was time for dinner!! This time a character meal at the Garden Grill. The food was ok. I thought it was interesting that Disney actually grows some of the vegetables served for the meal there on Epcot property. The characters were only ok: Chip & Dale (no costume special or otherwise), Pluto (with a plaid neckerchief--big whoop) and farmer Mickey who was actually quite cute. The restaurant is unique in that it very slowly turns as you dine. Because I'm on a quest to experience every attraction/eatery/show on WDW property at least once, I'm glad we ate there but there wasn't anything special enough to bring us back. "

Do not be afraid of the "motion" as it goes so slowly you can hardly tell you're moving.

You can see pix of the characters on my blog here: http://crowellgang.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

We were there in March and really enjoyed it - we liked the food (I'm in love with the maple butter that comes with the bread), the character interaction, and our server (I think his name was Chris - he was great). You barely notice the restaurant is moving.

Here are the 2 platters:

March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ
August 2015 - Beach Club??

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Just ate there last week and it is a must do now. Food was delish and the character interactions were plentiful. Our server Barry was really nice and efficient. I start to drool thinking about the steak. So tender!!!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #24
ktate82
DIS Veteran

We went in Sept of 2010 and 2011 and loved it! It was among our favs. But this year, it wasn't very good. Service was slow, we didn't even see our server but a few times, sat with empty drinks, and they have changed the food so it was just eh. We were pretty disappointed.
Sept 2014 AKL, June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantDisaholic View Post

This sums up probably my biggest complaint with the food. The adult platter was slathered with sauces and not much of a vegetable to speak of but the kids platter is even worse. Sweet potato fries AND mac-and-cheese? Why both? The teeny bit of broccoli could get lost in all that starch. And chicken legs are okay for older kids, but 2 of my 3 needed me to pull the meat off the bone for them which is annoying to me and something I would never order in a restaurant specifically for that reason. With all the talk of how fresh their food is and all those veggies they grow right there, would it kill them to put a few of 'em out there?

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
jad215
Mouseketeer

We are trying Garden Grill for the first time on our upcoming trip! I have a quick question, is it possible to ask for the meat to be well done? in the picture is looks more like medium. Thanks!

Last edited by jad215; 11-06-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: missing word
jad215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Can you ask for more veggies only? I agree, the sad little broccoli spear on the kids plate is not enough. Could I ask for an entire plate of broccoli?
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
linn9431
Earning My Ears

We went to the GG on our last trip in June and it was hands down the best food I have had at disney. I only wish it was open to regular dinning and not just character.
linn9431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
ladeeesquire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
Can you ask for more veggies only? I agree, the sad little broccoli spear on the kids plate is not enough. Could I ask for an entire plate of broccoli?
Yes! you can and we did. The waiter, who was fine btw, acted like it was a very strange request. Like the poster above I was kind of shocked that there really wasn't a vegetable served. We did get a full plate of broccoli and it was ok. The fish was inedible but the turkey and mashed potatoes were good. I'm not a fan of sweet potato fries so they did nothing for me. It would just be nice if there were some more veggies or something. It all seemed so carby and starchy and not very flavorful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: