Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLinDisney View Post
We went in September. It was worth every penny! Added bonus for us was that we were the only two on the tour at that time!!(10:15am) We had lots of extra attention and we were the only two on the photo CD, which we received a week after the tour! Here is a Link to my TR for the Trek:

WILD AFRICA TREK

Also here are some photos from my DR of the lunch/snack part:

LUNCH ON THE WILD AFRICA TREK
Thanks for the posts! Those are called Tiffin Boxes btw!

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Per a guide who was at our party this past Friday Night . . .
1) They do 3-5 tours per day, based upon demand.
2) The lunch "tin" comes from Tusker House kitchens.
3) $189+tax
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

just got home last night.

we took our tour on thursday, the weather was PERFECT! we took a 1:15 tour with the discount and saw many animals. the hippos were amazing! I loved the extra time with the animals.

the "trek" part was light walking.. up and down small hills with roots sticking out of the ground but not long, long walking and fun! the bridge was fantastic as was the truck tour and the light lunch/snacks. so beautiful!

can't wait to get my photos. the tour guides were wonderful as expected from anything Disney. great experience if you love the safari!
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
Thanks for the posts! Those are called Tiffin Boxes btw!
Thank you!! Now to remember the word Tiffin!
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

You will have a wonderful time. TDBIASWS
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
buzzgirls&dad
DIS Veteran

We are booked for this a week from tomorrow. I just have one other question and that is do we tip the guide?
'12 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP--Wild Africa Jungle Trek
'13 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP-lunch with an Imagineer
'14 Mar-Aulani'14Oct-BCV/MNSSHP/F&W

"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
buzzgirls&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
sharon78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgirls&dad View Post
We are booked for this a week from tomorrow. I just have one other question and that is do we tip the guide?
Bump

I would also like to know this.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon78 View Post
Bump

I would also like to know this.
I have never heard of anyone tipping the guides. We went at the end of Sept. and no one in our group (as far as I could determine) tipped the guides.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
I have never heard of anyone tipping the guides. We went at the end of Sept. and no one in our group (as far as I could determine) tipped the guides.
we didn't.. I didn't see anyone else do it either.. your stuff is away and there are two guides. When we left they seemed to be distant and not really around as one would be expecting a tip. I didn't even occur to me! I hope that was the norm.
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
gwmort
DIS Veteran

My daughter and I have reservations to do this tour in 14 days (+/- 90 minutes from now). I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with the following:

1. What counts as "closed toe" shoes?
2. How strict is the weight limit enforced?

I booked the tour 6 months ago when I was over 360 lbs. My weight is now 311.4 lbs, and I am still planning to do lose 4 more lbs in the next 2 weeks, but getting nervous. I have literally been training for nothing but qualifying for this tour.

I have picked out the outfit I intend to wear that day. In order to reduce "shoe weight" I purchased what I believe to be the lightest close toed shoes available (FILA "skeletoes"), they are a hard sole covered in neoprene, they were advertised as ultralight weight trail running shoes. They look a bit like a cross between a pair of crocs and a pair of water shoes. I don't want to get there and be told my shoes aren't sufficient, nor do I want to have to switch to my other shoes (which were 1.2 lbs heavier).

Any guidance? I am really getting nervous (and incredibly hungry).
gwmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
My daughter and I have reservations to do this tour in 14 days (+/- 90 minutes from now). I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with the following:

1. What counts as "closed toe" shoes?
2. How strict is the weight limit enforced?

I booked the tour 6 months ago when I was over 360 lbs. My weight is now 311.4 lbs, and I am still planning to do lose 4 more lbs in the next 2 weeks, but getting nervous. I have literally been training for nothing but qualifying for this tour.

I have picked out the outfit I intend to wear that day. In order to reduce "shoe weight" I purchased what I believe to be the lightest close toed shoes available (FILA "skeletoes"), they are a hard sole covered in neoprene, they were advertised as ultralight weight trail running shoes. They look a bit like a cross between a pair of crocs and a pair of water shoes. I don't want to get there and be told my shoes aren't sufficient, nor do I want to have to switch to my other shoes (which were 1.2 lbs heavier).

Any guidance? I am really getting nervous (and incredibly hungry).
Closed toes shoes - no flip flips/open sandals. Keens are ok because they have a closed toe.

Frankly, I would call them and ask about the FILA. If you aren't used to wearing them, I wouldn't wear them for that event. You need something with a good sole because the terrain, etc. isn't level and you are going across rope bridges. You need something you can definitely maneuver in.

Drink lots of water the day before or so and watch your salt intake 2-3 days out and you should be fine and help you meet your goal for the Trek! Good for you!!!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
Closed toes shoes - no flip flips/open sandals. Keens are ok because they have a closed toe.

Frankly, I would call them and ask about the FILA. If you aren't used to wearing them, I wouldn't wear them for that event. You need something with a good sole because the terrain, etc. isn't level and you are going across rope bridges. You need something you can definitely maneuver in.

Drink lots of water the day before or so and watch your salt intake 2-3 days out and you should be fine and help you meet your goal for the Trek! Good for you!!!
Thanks, they are actually ridiculously comfortable, much more so than the boat shoes I was planning on wearing. I do intend to break them in a bit beforehand. Here's a pic -

My DD is 8 and is super excited about the tour, the thought of disappointing her has really been motivating me to keep going.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say that my Mom and I will be doing this tour three weeks from tomorrow! Very excited about it!
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #29
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I would also like to hear from anyone else who already took the tour and was worried about the weigh in, or even if possible anyone who did not make it and how it was handled on site.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort
I would also like to hear from anyone else who already took the tour and was worried about the weigh in, or even if possible anyone who did not make it and how it was handled on site.
Not sure how its handled on this tour but Disney is very strict about weight requirements. It is a liability issue based on the equipment and CMs have no flexibility.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: