Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
DOPEYLUVER
DIS Veteran

Good point F & D. This furthers my point that the whole institution of marriage is just antiquated.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Vangogh
"Professional" Walt Disney World Vacation Planner/Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Marriage, for most of its existence has (and still to a point is) been about property. The idea of "marrying for love" is a relatively recent concept. The point of marriage was to seal deals, transfer land/keep land/property/money within a family.

It's only "recently" that women were no longer considered property in the Western world, and people seem to blithely forget that. It's been, what, only 100 years that they could vote in this country? People forget that too... a woman, only 100 years ago, was a mere accessory and possession of her husband, and in some places/schools of thought they are still considered to be so (can't get any more detailed due to board rules).
that's what i was gonna say, pretty much verbatim. well said!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

Gay married man here.

I love my marriage. We were finally allowed to marry (New York) after 11 years together. My marriage means I've publicly committed to my husband, and celebrated our relationship with our loved ones. It means we have the right to be recognized as equal. It means we wanted to share an event with those who were supportive of us for 11 years. We're not really very political people, but also ...

On the flip side, it means we can visit each other (without question or interference) in the hospital. It means we can choose whichever insurance plan we want, and provide it for our spouse. It means when one of us passes on, the other is legally entitled to the things we accumulated together for 40+ years.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
DVCDan36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s View Post
Gay married man here.

I love my marriage. We were finally allowed to marry (New York) after 11 years together. My marriage means I've publicly committed to my husband, and celebrated our relationship with our loved ones. It means we have the right to be recognized as equal. It means we wanted to share an event with those who were supportive of us for 11 years. We're not really very political people, but also ...

On the flip side, it means we can visit each other (without question or interference) in the hospital. It means we can choose whichever insurance plan we want, and provide it for our spouse. It means when one of us passes on, the other is legally entitled to the things we accumulated together for 40+ years.
Remembering, my husband and I have been together for almost 13 years, and just recently got married as well. 10 years ago, my husband was hospitalized and I had to lie just to visit him and when he was unable to work due to medical issues, we lost out on many benefits due to our inability to be married at the time or the fact that we shared a house. We are not ones to look for hand outs, but at the time we nearly lost everything, how we squeaked by and made it is a miracle. Thankfully, he got better, and things are looking up every day.
We sometimes think about moving out of state, but realize that we won't get the same benefits outside of New York. Now, only if the rest of the US and the Federal Government would stop treating marriage and rights as a bargaining chip and give all tax payers equal rights.
P.S. we are at the foothills of the Adirondacks and enjoy many trips through area.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulika View Post
In France, the government want to legalize gay marriage. I am happy for the people who are going to be able to get married but i am not looking forward to the debates around this topic. This is not going to be pretty.
Frankly, i don't care about people sexual orientation and i don t think it should be a public matter. The world would be a better if we would just stop judging other people lifestyle choice.
I believe thatthe Church are entilted to do whatever they want our only choice is notto attend them not to support them. My choice does not care about what you do in bed as long as it is only between consenting adults and i love them for that.
Late as usual - but please note it's not a lifestyle "choice" .
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

I have been in a committed same sex relationship for 25 wonderful years. We live in a state that has determined that marriage is only between a man and a woman. I guess that makes us Criminals!!!

However, what marriage is is a legal contract between two individuals. There was a time when the Chruch did not allow for marriage so why is it in it now. The reason most people get married has to do with civil issues like tax breaks, health insurance, death issues surrounding property and having the right to make decision for each other in the event that the other become unable to do so. I do not see the Chruch in any of that.

I love the fact that we have made ground in that there are states now that allow for gays to share the same legal rights and benefits as others but we are a long way from ending the fear that creates the hate.

I will continue to be out and work toward helping people see that Gays are not to be feared. We just want a life like everyone else. In our relationships we fight about and enjoy the same things as others. We have some that join together and stay together and have some that go from one relationship to another just like everyone else. There is way more that is similar between us then there is that is different. If we could just look for what is common and focus on that this world just might find a way to get along!! I pray for peace daily.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck352 View Post
I'm so sick and tired of all the news lately over gay and same sex marriage.The Boy Scouts,the Chik-Fil-a etc.Give me a D*%# BREAK!!!

I'm not or ever will be gay.I've been married to my wife for over 25yrs.
On that note,we have got some of the best freinds,male and female,that are gay and I'm PROUD to call them very close freinds.Not one has ever pushed there beliefes on my DW or I.

Fact of the matter,I prefer to hang out with them in public then some narrow minded idiot that bashes them...

Yes I'm hetero to the core,but sick and tired of the bashing!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent.I hope I do not get points over this.
Same here (but not married quite that long). That's why I'm at this thread..... may be straight but enjoy the company of those who aren't (often moreso).
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

The whole subject just makes me sad. I have two very close relatives that are open with me about their same-sex relationships, but keep them hidden from the rest of the family. Our family is pretty religious and they very much look down on Homosexuality. Both of my family members are deeply in love with their partners and they have
been together for years. I'm sick of the whole 'being gay is a choice' crap. I could no more chose to be a lesbian than my brother could chose to be straight. My family is also of the mind that being gay is a punishment for past generations sins. After being religious most of my life... I no longer am. They ruined it for me.

I've raised my kids to be very open minded. They
Don't look at gay relationships any different than straight ones. I'm just sort of rambling but I guess I just wanted to say that I long for the
day when someone's sexuality is no longer a defining issue. When all relationships have the same rights and people are judged only by their character.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
sweetbambi
Mouseketeer

A little off the subject, but I was at my daughter's house when my granddaughter (who we got from artificial insemination) asked how the two men next door had a baby. My granddaughter was at the time 6 and when my daughter told her about surrogacy, she was so confused that she sat on her bed and drew diagrams of both her conception and Brooklyn's (the new baby) conception and announced that she and everybody else was pretty lucky and that they all had a lot in common!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockshockbarrel View Post
most people would say its religion that has played a big part in why people think its so wrong (at least most straight people who are pro gay that i know) that the church doesn't believe in marriage unless it's between a man and woman. which truthfully, the church has every right to say who can and can't marry. A state or country who tries to make that decision however, that's a whole nother story.

at least in the states, i can't believe we've gotten so far away from the original freedoms and rights and ideals that were fought so hard for. It's so cliche but people need to "get used to it!" why so many feel like its any business of theirs who someone wants to love is beyond me.
ita!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

I totally agree OP!!! I have three boys and my oldest two are in Cubscouts. I also happen to be a den leader. I get very worried that people will think I have the same stance on gay rights as the boy scouts. I DO NOT! Our local pack has never once mentioned anything that I would even deem slightly discriminatory towards gays and if they did my boys would not be involved. I am very hopeful that the Boy Scouts stance will change because the scouts really does teach a lot of other great stuff.

I also firmly believe in what a PP said:
Quote:
I am confident that things will change and everyone will have equal rights. It will be a hard road and I will fully support it!
Change will happen. Discriminating due to sexual orientation is the same as discriminating because of race.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Staight married woman here from NYC and I agree, I don't get the gay bashing or why it's such a big deal to allow gay marriages. I think it's just a way for politicians to divert people's attention from the real problems we face that they are not helping and get them heated over a subject that does not affect our daily quality of life but will get them votes.

Look, if two people love and care for eachother - no mater what their sexuality - they should be able to join together in love, marriag and be recognized as a legal couple. Period. When I married my husband we automatically gained certain legal rights with eachother just becaue we were married. Under the law he is considered my family - next of kin- and can be there whem I'm sick, help make importaant decisions, etc. Well mine and my husbands love and commitment towards eachother is not different from a gay couples love and commitment so they should have the same right and priviledges of marriage as I do. Give me a break! A married gay couple is not hurting my lifestyle, my ability to earn a living, my child, my right to pursue the American dream so why not allow it !?!?!

I'm sorry, I just find it all so ridiculous. Live and let live. We are who we are...born as we should be born...and as many who arugue against gay marriages say - God does not make a mistake...I agree - He does not make mistakes. He created all people of all colors, all sizes and all sexualties. No one is a mistake...everyone is as they should be and difference is wonderful..if everyone and everything was the same, life would be boring.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55
Staight married woman here from NYC and I agree, I don't get the gay bashing or why it's such a big deal to allow gay marriages. I think it's just a way for politicians to divert people's attention from the real problems we face that they are not helping and get them heated over a subject that does not affect our daily quality of life but will get them votes.

Look, if two people love and care for eachother - no mater what their sexuality - they should be able to join together in love, marriag and be recognized as a legal couple. Period. When I married my husband we automatically gained certain legal rights with eachother just becaue we were married. Under the law he is considered my family - next of kin- and can be there whem I'm sick, help make importaant decisions, etc. Well mine and my husbands love and commitment towards eachother is not different from a gay couples love and commitment so they should have the same right and priviledges of marriage as I do. Give me a break! A married gay couple is not hurting my lifestyle, my ability to earn a living, my child, my right to pursue the American dream so why not allow it !?!?!

I'm sorry, I just find it all so ridiculous. Live and let live. We are who we are...born as we should be born...and as many who arugue against gay marriages say - God does not make a mistake...I agree - He does not make mistakes. He created all people of all colors, all sizes and all sexualties. No one is a mistake...everyone is as they should be and difference is wonderful..if everyone and everything was the same, life would be boring.
THIS exactly!!! Very well said!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

http://samuel-warde.com/2013/02/this...ng-down-video/

Better?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
Minesota
Earning My Ears

ohh... not about g a y s LOOL
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: