Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Keeping carryon beer cold

I had to buy beer cold....special gluten free kind. Anyhow how should I keep it cold? Can I pack cold packs near it I'm our backpack?
Should I leave in boxes or take out and wrap in towel? They are glass.

Thanks!
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I think spell check did something to your post. You cannot bring ice on board, but you can use cold packs. I don't think it makes any difference if you keep it in the boxes or wrap it up in something....since it will be in your carry on, you are the one keeping it safe.

Once on board, newer ships have real refrigerator. Classic ships have "beverage coolers" in the rooms. Get a cup of ice and place it in the beverage cooler with your beer--it will stay nice and cold. We've had times when the ice didn't even melt for a 24 hour period.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
schoen
DIS Veteran

you may not need to keep it cold. Last week my DH and I were looking all over Orlando for warm cans of beer that we could carry on. We found ourselves at a REALLY nice alcohol store, ABC Spirits, and I asked the guy working if they had any more warm beer. He told us that as long as you let the beer warm slowly, and to just about room temperature that it would be fine, and wouldn't "skunk"

he said that we should just avoid leaving it in the trunk of a car, or sitting in the sun outside. He seemed very knowledgeable so we bought some cold cans of beer and left them in our room, we carried them on and they were just fine.
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoen
you may not need to keep it cold. Last week my DH and I were looking all over Orlando for warm cans of beer that we could carry on. We found ourselves at a REALLY nice alcohol store, ABC Spirits, and I asked the guy working if they had any more warm beer. He told us that as long as you let the beer warm slowly, and to just about room temperature that it would be fine, and wouldn't "skunk"

he said that we should just avoid leaving it in the trunk of a car, or sitting in the sun outside. He seemed very knowledgeable so we bought some cold cans of beer and left them in our room, we carried them on and they were just fine.
Thanks. It's expensive beer to skunk! so ill keep it cold during our car ride and then transfer to backpack!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
I think spell check did something to your post. You cannot bring ice on board, but you can use cold packs. I don't think it makes any difference if you keep it in the boxes or wrap it up in something....since it will be in your carry on, you are the one keeping it safe.

Once on board, newer ships have real refrigerator. Classic ships have "beverage coolers" in the rooms. Get a cup of ice and place it in the beverage cooler with your beer--it will stay nice and cold. We've had times when the ice didn't even melt for a 24 hour period.
Yep! I'm is supposed to be in. I knew about the ice but want sure about cold packs as they can puncture too. Good to know and away we go tomorrow morning!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Temperature will not make your beer get "skunky". It is exposure to light that is the culprit If your beer is in a brown bottle it should be ok. Green or clear is where you run the risk. This is why beers like Heinekin and Becks tend to smell/taste skunky A LOT!(and most times they are like that when you buy them, especially if you buy them cold, in a cooler with the bright lights above them) Brown bottles block the light better than green.
Temperature changes doing this to beer is a myth most of us have heard at least once in our life.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: