Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
My husband and I have been on 15 Disney cruises and 9 Celebrity cruises and a few other cruiselines too. Disney and Celebrity are obviously our favorites. We travel with no children. We do a 14 night Celebrity every year in January and was on one last January and have another one set for this January.

Disney provides plenty of adult only space and adult only entertainment options so you can be away from children if that is an issue. We love Disney and the Disney characters and therefore enjoy the Disney entertainment much more than the shows on other cruise lines.
While the adult areas are nice, we still had to contend with kids chasing each other up and down the hallways outside our room when we were trying to sleep. Running feet make loud thudding noises on a ship.

One day at Cabanas I nearly collided with a kid who stopped in his tracks right in front of me and screamed at his mother, "I don't wanna eat here!"

We've noticed that the two-week DCL cruises (Panama Canal, Hawaii) have fewer kids, so it was a real eye-opener to see so many of them on the Fantasy this past week.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
While the adult areas are nice, we still had to contend with kids chasing each other up and down the hallways outside our room when we were trying to sleep. Running feet make loud thudding noises on a ship.

One day at Cabanas I nearly collided with a kid who stopped in his tracks right in front of me and screamed at his mother, "I don't wanna eat here!"

We've noticed that the two-week DCL cruises (Panama Canal, Hawaii) have fewer kids, so it was a real eye-opener to see so many of them on the Fantasy this past week.
I agree with you. There are still loads of kids running around the ship. On the Fantasy, we stay clear of Cabanas!! Instead we eat at the buffet at Enchanted Garden. The kids seem to definitely be running wild at the main buffet more so than at the smaller buffet. Plus we enjoy servers getting us our beverages.
TeenaS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
I agree with you. There are still loads of kids running around the ship. On the Fantasy, we stay clear of Cabanas!! Instead we eat at the buffet at Enchanted Garden. The kids seem to definitely be running wild at the main buffet more so than at the smaller buffet. Plus we enjoy servers getting us our beverages.
Another vote for Celebrity. We've cruised Europe, the Med and The baltic as well as Alaska with them. We love their family staterooms (600 sq ft). We took the Russia Scandanavia cruise with Celebrity. I'd priced DCL for the same trip and it would have be $10 000 more for the five of us. I also really like that our kids are in the minority. The kids clubs are great and not too crowded. The food is great (a major complaint on DCL from what I've read). For us though the price and staterooms can't be beat.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Hi Jean, we haven't been on Celebrity, but knowing how much you like Disney, I think you would enjoy maybe a 5 night DCL cruise. The shows are wonderful and the Disney touches make it a special experience.

We enjoy Princess the most. We book by itinerary when it's just the 2 of us sailing. We're doing the EBTA next year, (we're celebrating retirement and 45 th anniversary and doing it on Disney because I like it that much)!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I've been on 3 4-night Disney cruises (Wonder and Dream) and 2 longer Celebrity cruises (14-night TA on Constellation and 12-night Med on Silhouette). I loved the Disney ships, but the dining room service on the last 2 cruises was mediocre at best. Both Celebrity cruises were great, and we loved the Silhouette so much that we booked a cruise on the Solstice for Jan. 2014. My husband thought the buffet set-up and selection on the Silhouette was the best he'd ever had on a cruise.

I don't agree with some previous opinions about Celebrity's entertainment. I thought the production shows on Celebrity were excellent, and the Silhouette had aerial acts in the main theater several evenings. The guest entertainers were especially good on Celebrity. I love Disney's shows, but they are "Disney" shows. I thought it was pretty cheap of DCL to make the main show on the 4th night of a 4-night cruise a movie that had been playing regularly in the movie theater throughout the cruise!

Before my first Disney cruise, I believed what people said about kids being so well entertained that you'd hardly know they were there. As I waited on the stair landing for our room to be ready, and the area was packed with kids and STROLLERS - I knew that was a lie! The kids are also quite evident in the dining rooms and the theaters.

As I read hints of where DCL might go in 2014, it's great that they will be adding some new ports. On the other hand, I don't need to wait for DCL to go to some of these places, as I am perfectly happy to cruise there with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL, or Princess - and probably for considerably less money.

**After rereading others' posts, I had to comment on "activities" on the ship. Maybe this is just due to being on Bahamas cruises on DCL, but Disney wins the award for "fewest scheduled adult activities while the ship is in port"! They filled in the Navigators on Castaway Cay and Nassau days with such exciting offerings as "books and magazines are available at the Cove Cafe" and "the sports court is open"! I went to an afternoon DVC presentation on my first cruise because it was the only thing going on before dinner that didn't have an extra charge (like alcohol tastings). I have since learned not to see any Disney movies in the 6 months before I sail on a Disney ship, as that is how I spend my afternoon on CC day. If you're traveling with kids, there are lots of activities scheduled for kids and/or families on port days - just not for adults.

Last edited by NancyIL; 11-04-2012 at 08:46 AM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I have not been on Celebrity, but have been on RCCL and NCL in addition to a 4 night DCL. Opinions are subjective, especially on food. The food we had on all 3 lines were great. However, DCL had the only dish that my mother was so enamoured with, she had to reproduce it as soon as she got home. And it wasn't even from Palo or Remy. We are not foodies, so it doesn't take much to impress us.

I'm no longer a kid but my parents and I are huge Disney fans. We feel Disney is the best at what they do, and our experience on the 4 night Dream was overall superior to the 7 nights we had on the other lines due to service and entertainment. We went in mid-January, so we didn't feel like we were overrun with kids. In fact, for the most part, the children were more well-behaved than on the other lines or at the parks! We love cruising, so we're not opposed to going on other lines, but DCL has spoiled us and we're choosing DCL for our Alaska trip.

I say, if you love Disney, go on the cruise. Go in January, when kids are less likely to dominate. We had no problems with kids running the halls, and our stateroom was dead center of the ship. If food is a high priority, book Palo and/or Remy.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Having cruised HAL, RCCL,Celebrity & DCL. By far, DCL & Celebrity are our favorites, Celebrity has very good food and excellent Customer service. We like the DCL staterooms, its hard to beat the split bathrooms. Additionally, shows are top notch, Castaway Cay is always fun & Remy is out of this world. We don't know what it is; but there is something very comfortable about DCL, maybe it's the HORN. But these are just our subjective opinions.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Referring to activities...I was trying to compare similar cruises. We don't do Bahamas cruises as I don't like short ones. When comparing a 7 night DCL cruise to a 7 night Celebrity (Magic/Infinity), DCL had a lot more adult activities that didn't involve gambling.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: