Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #76
vleeth
I heart Disney

Great update
vleeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #77
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

Loving this report so far!

We will be leaving in a week! What was the weather like at the ports?
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #78
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool
I meant to ask...how was the water temperature in Grand Cayman? That is our one real "water" day, since we're also going to Stingray City and snorkeling (still afraid of how the kids -- and I -- will react to those rays!). I don't like cold water, I'm hoping the western Caribbean is still fairly warm in early November...we went to CC in mid December a few years ago and it was way too cold for this Florida girl!
The water was perfect! I am a huge wimp about cool water too! We've done that same excursion in late November and the water was cool, but not unbearable. CC was too cold for me on that same trip. It was sunny though, that can make all the difference IMO.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #79
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus

We docked at Puenta Lagosta Pier...I don't know if the Magic always docks there or not? All of the shopping in the shopping "insert" in the navigator was to the left once you got off the ship. Yes, we are on the Feb 5th sailing next year
Thanks for the info on the pier! I can't help myself from reading and planning. Someone's got to do it! I love the pics of your Mom in the round window. She looks too cute!! 😊
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #80
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
Great update
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
Loving this report so far!

We will be leaving in a week! What was the weather like at the ports?
Grand Cayman the weather was perfect...warm but not too hot and partly cloudy, Costa Maya it was very warm, the tour guide told us the heat index was over 100 at the ruins, but it was really humid too. Cozumel was overcast, probably the coolest of the days we were at port, but again, nice temps.

The Navigators had the following: All aboard: High 82, partly cloudy, Sunday: High 82, mostly cloudy, Monday: High 84, Partly cloudy, Grand Cayman: High 88, Partly cloudy, Costa Maya: High 89, Partly Cloudy, Cozumel: High 84, overcast, Friday: High 86, Partly cloudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysrus View Post
Thanks for the info on the pier! I can't help myself from reading and planning. Someone's got to do it! I love the pics of your Mom in the round window. She looks too cute!! ��
I love the planning! To me it's "almost" as good as the trip!

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Captain's Gala - Semi Formal Night

Captain's Gala is one of our favorite nights in the dining room. We love lobster...I could eat it by the bucket load!

We all got ready for dinner, and I forced everyone to take another obligatory family photo seeing as we were somewhat dressed up again...

Dinner tonight was in Animator's Palate...and cocktail of the night was a Tuxedo...Sparkling wine, Ketel One Vodka and Chambord...

Yummy bread...I just love their bread...

I had Garlic and Herb Sauteed Shrimp, Wild Forest Mushroom Soup, Oven Baked Lobster Tail and Captain's Sweet Temptations (Amaretto Cheesecake, Banana Creme Brule and Coconut Macaroon)

Shrimp...

Mushroom soup...

Lobster...

Scott had the same but added the Pan Seared Venison Medallions in addition to the lobster....

... and had Banana Creme Brulee Cheesecake for dessert....which I just now realized that we didn't take ANY photos of dessert....

We were back to our room at 9:45 pm....

... and took our favorite spots on the balcony for about 15 minutes before calling it a night.

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #82
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Friday - Day at Sea

Our early night paid off and we were up at 7 am so we ordered juice, coffee and a couple of muffins from room service to keep us going until our Character breakfast...the muffins were bran...and needed a LOT of chewing ...the coffee was definitely needed to wash them down.

I just love these cups...

The sea was absolutely still...I donít think weíve ever seen it so calm...it was almost like glass. As we sat outside there were lots of flying fish coming off the wake at the front. We had seen them while we were on the Magic in 2010 but hadnít seen them since. Its incredible how far they can go. We had our character breakfast in Parrot Cay that morning so we meandered down there for 9:45 am.

Breakfast was really good:

The characters started to come by....although they were in a hurry!

Chip was first to arrive...

...then the big cheese...but it was so hurried we didn't get time to get one with all four of us together...

Goofy was up next...

Then the silly hat party began.... ...although our servers didn't make us look quite as silly as they could have......

...so now with silly hats in place...the photos continue....here's Dale..

We made our servers get into the photo....Oliver (left) and Erwin (right)...

Then we took the "hats" off...

Minnie was next...again...we weren't quick enough to get one of all four of us...although we may just have been tired of getting up and down...

Final guy up was Pluto...

It could have been worse....we could have been this guy...

I really enjoy the Character Breakfast...and it's a definite "perk" of being on one of the Classic ships. The only downside was that the interaction with the characters felt rushed...especially as the dining room was half empty, but we got to see them all...and it is a ton of fun...even if you are a table of all adults....

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #83
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I'm continuing to enjoy your TR.....Our Magic cruise is now less than a month away!

It is so weird that the characters were in such a hurry with a half empty dining room. On our Alaska Wonder cruise they did at least stay at the table long enough to make sure everyone got one or two photos with them...and that was with the dining room full!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #84
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Yay! Two weeks left.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #85
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We left PC and went to guest services to sign up for the mojito tasting that afternoon in Animator's Palate. We decided to stroll around the ship and ended up sitting on loungers in Quite Cove for a while. The weather was overcast and breezy and you could feel a sprinkle of rain in the wind every now and then.

Even though we were absolutely stuffed full, we decided to check out the food in Topsiders at about 12:15 pm because our server Oliver had said it was going to be a really good seafood buffet. Im sure that if you were hungry it would have been delicious..... and even though none of us were .......we each got a small plate.

Starting at "noon" & going clockwise: Fennel, Tomato & Cucumber salad, Salmon En Croute with spinach & herbed cream cheese, potato salad, snow crab, bread roll...

They also had a BBQ going outside behind Topsiders, it was on the port side of the ship. They were serving steak, chicken and salmon and veggie kabobs. Because we were too stuffed to move at this point we headed back to our room and just vegged out. We found the Corpse Bride on TV and watched it, and even though I felt for sure I would take a nap, I managed to stay awake through the whole thing.

Finally we faced the sad truth that we were on our last day and needed to be packed by the end of the evening. We pulled our suitcases out and got 90% of our packing done and our customs forms filled out.

But!! It was time to go to our first tasting session ever! Yummy!!

We got to AP just a little early.... 3 people there already....one other lady arrived after we did, so there were 8 of us total. It looked like they could have had another table of 8 though.. it was ready, just didn't have the set ups on it.

In front of each of us were all the "fixins" to make 3 mojitos and a caipirinha.

We made a regular mojita, then a melon, then raspberry and finally the caipirinha.

I don't remember the name of the CM that was running the session, but she was from Jamaica and did a good job. Did I mention that I love mojitos!!

Mum and Mo decided there was no way they could drink 4 drinks, which was very fortunate for us! LOL

The caipirinha was my favorite though the sweetest.... go figure. We ended up taking most of Mum & Mo's back with us to our room and then didn't drink them because they were melting and we were so full.

We watched the world go by from the verandah for a little while...

...and then decided to head out and watch a movie...Frankenweenie was playing in the Buena Vista Theatre at 5:15 pm....Mum and Mo decided to come along as well. We all agreed it was just OK...I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan....but it was perfect timing to go and catch a movie...and with Halloween right around the corner it was a good one to see.

We showered and changed for dinner, the breeze on the balcony was pretty cool and I began to wonder how cold it might be in the morning ....but by the time we got back from dinner it had warmed up again.

The closer we got to the Texas coast the busier the horizon was filled with tankers, oil rigs and all kinds of other shipping traffic. It was crazy to think how much stuff is out there!!!!

Jenny & Scott

Last edited by ukintheus; 11-03-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #86
amycramer76
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your details! We are heading out in a few weeks for our first cruise and I you did a great job of describing everything!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #87
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Just caught up with the rest of your report. Oh, how I miss the Magic. Good to see you have a few more bookings on her.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite ports - just beautiful and so relaxed on the island. I was wondering how Costa Maya would be as it has never been on my radar. The ruins sound like the perfect excursion there!

Sad to see your cruise coming to an end, but with a few more in your back pocket at least you have something to look forward to!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #88
Crecia27
Earning My Ears

We did a similar excursion in Cayman last week, and I told my husband I was sure there had been a cut out devil on the deck the last time we'd been there. Of course that was 9 years ago so he just rolled his eyes at me. I'm glad to know it was there two weeks before us as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #89
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Just caught up with the rest of your report. Oh, how I miss the Magic. Good to see you have a few more bookings on her.

Grand Cayman is one of my favorite ports - just beautiful and so relaxed on the island. I was wondering how Costa Maya would be as it has never been on my radar. The ruins sound like the perfect excursion there!

Sad to see your cruise coming to an end, but with a few more in your back pocket at least you have something to look forward to!
We are so lucky to have the Magic right here...it wouldn't be right to not have a few trips booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crecia27 View Post
We did a similar excursion in Cayman last week, and I told my husband I was sure there had been a cut out devil on the deck the last time we'd been there. Of course that was 9 years ago so he just rolled his eyes at me. I'm glad to know it was there two weeks before us as well.
Yes, the corny cut out was there...I take it that it wasn't when you were there last week?

Jenny & Scott
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #90
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Dinner - last night :-(

Dinner tonight was in Parrot Cay and we headed down for our last night of our server team and someone waiting on us hand and foot.

It was the Til We Meet Again menu...such a cute menu cover..

I had the Dungeness Crabmeat Stuffed Tomato, Potato and Leek Soup, Roasted Filet of Beef Wellington and...of course... Baked Alaska. I don't know WHY I feel like I absolutely HAVE to have the Baked Alaska...it's not even my favorite...

Stuffed Tomato...

Soup...

Beef Wellington...

Baked Alaska...

The Beef Wellington was really, really good ...I really think it might have been the best piece of beef I ate all week, and that included the Filet at Palo.

Scott had Sesame Crusted Tuna Sashimi, Edamame and Napa Cabbage Salad, Roasted Filet of Beef Wellington.....and .... Baked Alaska

Tuna...

Edamame Salad...

Beef Wellington...

I didn't upload a second picture of the Baked Alaska...see above... LOL

We clapped and cheered as the chefs and servers did their parade.

I always wonder how they manage to look so happy about it when they do it week after week, but they always pull it off.

Our server Oliver...

After dinner went back to the room to put our bags out....towel animal of the day along with the questionnaire...

We then headed down to the main atrium to see the 'Til We Meet Again show. It's the first time Scott and I had ever made it down there and it was really neat to get to see all the characters. I didn't realize that they come down and stand at different points around the atrium for photos etc. It was cool and sad all at the same time...talk about a reality check that they are really kicking you off the next day!!!

After we had said Good Night to Mickey and all the gang, we headed back to our cabins. Scott and I sat on the balcony and tried to figure out what all the different lights...flashing lights...ships...tankers...oil rigs....oil platforms...etc were. The entire horizon was literally FULL of lights it was really strange to see. I tried to take some photos but they didn't come out well...you just couldn't capture enough of the horizon to really do it justice.

Jenny & Scott

Last edited by ukintheus; 11-06-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: