Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
susiee
Earning My Ears

DDs dream has me a little freaked!!

We leave on our first cruise 3 weeks from tomorrow.
DD always tells me about her dreams - some really strange ones and some tame ones.

She said last night she had a dream our family was on a cruise and there was a bomb. A woman came up to her and told her not to worry.
Now,
A) we don't watch the news that often and
B) we haven't told her we are going on a cruise yet so
C) it was quite freaky to hear her tell me about this!!!
D) I am not worried...she has an active imagination and has had very bizarre dreams in the past.

But boy....it sure freaked me out for a while this morning!!!
susiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
chateau
DIS Veteran

not the first time I've heard of children's subconcious capabilities far surpassing adults.... why someone hasn't seriously checked into this point, i'll never know
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Trying to give you some words that may help with those fears.
Dogs have a sense of smell 50 times as powerful as humans.
All checked luggage gets the dogs.
I know that's thin but ....
It gave me solace fwiw.
HTH

Last edited by Bear3412; 11-02-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
not the first time I've heard of children's subconcious capabilities far surpassing adults.... why someone hasn't seriously checked into this point, i'll never know
And that's what makes this so spooky to OP IMHO.

It's only the carry on bags I worry about. Those bags are small enough where as not to worry.
The whole subject crossed my mind too several times.

Please try not to worry. We have some great port folks in this country, encompassing five agencies. Trust me.

Relax and have a great stress free trip.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Could be your DD has subconsciously picked up on the general anxiety caused by Sandy, and she is translating it into 'a bomb'. I would reassure her about the cruise.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
And that's what makes this so spooky to OP IMHO.

It's only the carry on bags I worry about. Those bags are small enough where as not to worry.
The whole subject crossed my mind too several times.

Please try not to worry. We have some great port folks in this country, encompassing five agencies. Trust me.

Relax and have a great stress free trip.
I'll second your confidence in our agencies. My question is this now... how do you intend to tell her she's cruising after this? I'd suggest working through the dream with her (talking it out, letting her express her thoughts and concerns, if any) not just letting it go. I'd seriously also not let her know, if possible, that it freaked YOU out, or she definately WILL be also!!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Could be your DD has subconsciously picked up on the general anxiety caused by Sandy, and she is translating it into 'a bomb'. I would reassure her about the cruise.
This. How old is DD? Is she watching TV?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
There are other cultures that put great faith in that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Yes, but she doesn't yet know about the cruise...

I'm sure you'll figure out a way to tell her about the cruise without her worrying too much.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Evi
DIS Veteran

Not to take away the idea that children may be more intuitive then adults but from a psychological stand point, dreams of fire and natural disasters are common amongst children who've seen or heard about traumatic events. She could have seen something on the news on tv or even heard her friends talking you just never know. Dreams are also a safe place we play with what if scenarios. So its entirely possible she knows your going on a cruise and could be a little afraid. Again you just never know. I wouldn't feed into this dream but keep listening and see if she has other scary dreams and talk to her about them. If nothing else you can reassure her of any subconscious fears she may have.

Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

This may be a stretch but I think she may suspect that you're going on a cruise at some point and is waiting for you to "drop the bomb". That's why everything was going to be ok in her dream. Just my 2c
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

[QUOTE=Bear3412;46616320]And that's what makes this so spooky to OP IMHO.

It's only the carry on bags I worry about. Those bags are small enough where as not to worry. The whole subject crossed my mind too several times.

All carry on items go through the belt scanner though like in the airport. Are the scanners not as thorough as checked baggage-is that what you meant?

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Mel2421
Mouseketeer

My dd and I are scheduled to leave for our very first cruise in 28 days. I was having some very scary dreams about being on the ship. My disney husband is NOW joining us and all the bad dreams are gone. Weird huh!

My dd also has very strange dreams and so far nothing scary about our upcoming cruise. Thank God!
AS Sports/Movies Sept 2008
Pop June 2010
Disney Magic Dec. 2012
Disney Wonder Dec. 2013
Pop Aug 2014
Mel2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
susiee
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone!

We have had the news on since we were in Sandy's path...but we were prepared and neither me or DH had any panic or worry. LIke I said, she has had really strange,vivid dreams before. She does say she wants to go on a cruise when she sees ads about them. The part about the bomb was just strange - but it was near Halloween and I don't know if she hears other kids talking about costumes/pretend play, etc. She is 7.

I asked her more about the dream, and it has made me feel a little better. Apparently we were getting cereal (all her favorite kinds and it was unlimited!!) and another boat came up and some men threw bombs at our boat. We got inside and everyone was ok.

I think we will keep an eye and ear on her. We do talk about going to a beach and trying snorkeling, so we have been overtly talking about things we will be doing. Will need to keep saying positive things about safety and let her know when we tell her that it will be a fantastic time with no worries.
Wow - leaving 3 weeks from today!!!!
susiee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: