Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Do Zebra Domes at Boma Have Alcohol?

Rot-roh....

My DD (8) and I have been watching YT videos of the various Disney Restaurants we'll be visiting during our Dec trip. The one she is MOST excited about is our Boma dinner reservations... And I think it's mainly the anticipation of tasting a zebra dome shown on one of the videos we watched... However, I just read that they may contain liquor? Does anyone know if it's just a "flavoring" and not the real deal?

If there's alcohol in them, I better move on and try to get her revved up about another treat somewhere else!
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermiebudge View Post
Rot-roh....

My DD (8) and I have been watching YT videos of the various Disney Restaurants we'll be visiting during our Dec trip. The one she is MOST excited about is our Boma dinner reservations... And I think it's mainly the anticipation of tasting a zebra dome shown on one of the videos we watched... However, I just read that they may contain liquor? Does anyone know if it's just a "flavoring" and not the real deal?

If there's alcohol in them, I better move on and try to get her revved up about another treat somewhere else!
I honestly don't know the recipe, but you do realize that if an alcohol is an ingredient it's used to flavor and the actual alcohol content cooks out, right?

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
smiths02
DIS Veteran

They not limited to adults, so they are not "alcoholic." However, they taste strongly of coffee and alcohol to me...I don't care for that. Would your 8 year old?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I honestly don't know the recipe, but you do realize that if an alcohol is an ingredient it's used to flavor and the actual alcohol content cooks out, right?
It is true that SOME of the alcohol content in baked goods cooks out, but something would have to be burnt beyond the point of edible for ALL of the alcohol content to cook out.

That said, if there were enough alcohol in these things for it to cause a problem, they'd have to ID you before they gave you one. I'm sure your DD will be fine.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies- I thought it would be safe to assume they are o.k. if at a buffet with access by all (I also wasn't sure if there was an adult-only limitation to them), but you know what they say about assuming things

I think my DD would like the coffee taste (she likes coffee flavored ice cream), but not sure about any kind of liquor flavoring. I know with alcohol, you can "cook it off", but have never tried the domes myself. If there was any question though, I'd rather we get her geared toward another treat since there are so many to look forward to!
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
It is true that SOME of the alcohol content in baked goods cooks out, but something would have to be burnt beyond the point of edible for ALL of the alcohol content to cook out.

That said, if there were enough alcohol in these things for it to cause a problem, they'd have to ID you before they gave you one. I'm sure your DD will be fine.
THIS, I have never heard of We have always cooked with alcohol, and have never heard that it doesn't cook out while cooking your dish. It isn't that heard to burn off alcohol.

Just googled this because I was curious. Depends on dish cooked, how long, etc. the alcohol content that remains. It would not be enough to be concerned about, except maybe to some reformed alcoholics. That's why they mention that on the desert bar at Boma. Otherwise, definitely not enough to be concerned about *under age*, etc.

Last edited by North of Mouse; 11-03-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: new info
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

They definitely have a strong amarula taste, which i love!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Cooks Illustrated did tests a few years ago to determine how much alcohol cooks out and the bottom line was, "Not as much as you think," but yes, it varied. People also make an assumption with cold desserts that the component containing the alcohol was cooked--not always the case and sometimes the alcohol is added AFTER cooking.

In any event, as PPers have said, just beacuse it contains alcohol does not make it an "adults only" item--at all.

Years ago they DID contain alcohol and there was a small sign saying so by the domes, but in many recent trips, I do not recall seeing it. In every dessert buffet I've ever seen at WDW there were small signs by each item that contained alcohol. Some people do not partake for personal or religious reasons, but there are others on medications that prohibit even tiny amounts of alcohol.

I think it is safe to say your daughter can enjoy.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
...Years ago they DID contain alcohol and there was a small sign saying so by the domes, but in many recent trips, I do not recall seeing it. In every dessert buffet I've ever seen at WDW there were small signs by each item that contained alcohol. Some people do not partake for personal or religious reasons, but there are others on medications that prohibit even tiny amounts of alcohol.

I think it is safe to say your daughter can enjoy.
We ate at Boma about three weeks ago and there were signs at the Zebra Domes stating they contained alcohol. They had other coffee flavored desserts (Kenya Coffee Tarts) that did not contain alcohol.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

If you dip them in your cocktail, can you still take the bus home?

I have had zebra domes too many times to count and this is the first time I have ever heard anything about them having alchohol in them. No wonder I like them so much.

Thinking now that they might just be the EXACT reason behind the "sick in Epcot' thread about weekends at the F&W.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

They are good but do have a VERY strong alcohol taste to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: