Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
RJ Cumpata
Earning My Ears

Single Parent Cruise- Magic Feb. 15, 2013

Hello-

I am looking for some a opinions.......has anyone experienced going on the Disney Cruise as a single parent?
How was it?
Are there other single parents?

I am a divorced dad with a 10 yo daughter & a 9 yo son.... I am just worried that I will be abondoned for fun...

1997 Caribbean Beach Resort
1999 Port Orleans- French Quarter
2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2005 Port Orleans-Riverside
2006 Caribbean Beach Resort
2007 Polynesian Resort & Disney Wonder Cruise
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009 Caribbean Beach Resort
2011 POP Century & Disney Dream Cruise
2012 POP Century
2013 Disney Magic Cruise
2014 All Star Movies
RJ Cumpata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
DionneEvette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Cumpata
Hello-

I am looking for some a opinions.......has anyone experienced going on the Disney Cruise as a single parent?
How was it?

I am a divorced dad with a 10 yo daughter & a 9 yo son.... I am just worried that I will be abondoned for fun...
I did but I had another single parent/family that stayed 1deck down. Thank God, my kids abandoned me! We are going again March 25, 2013-Wonder-Miami.

Hey I am sure you will meet tons of single moms on the ship!

Me , DS (14), DD (4), DD (2)
DionneEvette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've done 25+ DCL cruises as a single mom. We have always had the rule that dinner was family time--regardless of what else was on our schedule, this wa our "reconnect" time. Other than that, I let my DD take the lead. At some ages, the kid programming was the big hit and I wouldn't see her a lot of the day. On other cruises, she followed my "one hour a day in the programming" rule. This basically required her to choose one activity per day because I needed some "alone" time.

There are lunches hosted by the cruise staff for "single parent or cruising solo." These were generally enjoyable and gave a chance to meet other solo cruisers. They were not the "meat market" that some singles activities can be.

There is no where that you can't go comfortably on a DCL cruise as a "solo" or single parent.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Join your cruise meet. It is a great way to get to know some other adults.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I just did a 14 day on the Wonder to Hawaii. Best vacation ever. My son is younger than your children but I didn't let him go to the kids club all day. You can put limits on it if you want because there are lots of things you guys could go together around the ship. I looked at the navigator the day before and planned things for us to do. I let him go to the club when there wasn't much going on that I wanted us to do together. He would have preferred being in the club playing video games I'm sure but he also had fun with the things we did together.

I joined out cruise meet and that was really helpful. We arranged our dinner seating with another single mom and her child and I regularly saw and chatted with ppl on the ship from our group. I never felt lonely. I went to Palo with people from the meet. There were several other single parents on this trip so it's possible you won't be the only one. I went to a singles lunch once and it was nice to chat with others and meet new people.

A Disney cruise is the easiest and most relaxing vacation I've ever taken as a parent. You will have a blast even if you never see your kids.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

I'm going with my daughter on our first cruise in 9 days. The thing I'm looking forward to the most is not having to drive anywhere! My DD is very into Disney and I'm sure there will be a lot of things she'll want to do without me (3D movies - I don't do well with them on land, so I can't imagine being on a ship would help), but for the most part she'll hang with me. I don't have any interest in the adult-only clubs or restaurants, so we'll eat together. She's not really into electronic games so I'm not sure how drawn to the teen club she'll be, but if she is I'll have my Nook and books and there might be a class or two I could take.

But no driving, that's my vacation.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
pershing
DIS Veteran

Man, I thought there was a single parent cruise when I read the title!

I've been on six cruises and have always been involved in the cruise threads. I find it rare to have another single parent on my cruise threads. Alot of time they bring another relative along to keep them company.

This being said, I have had a ball meeting people from my cruise thread so its all good.

I've been a single parent for 15 years so I'm pretty independent. If I want to do something or go somewhere, I don't back down because I'm alone. I've done Palo with other people and by myself.

The one suggestion I would make is to let Disney or your travel agent know you definitely want to be seated with another family for dinner. I have 3 kids so one cruise they gave us our own table, which isn't ok as my kids don't ever come to dinner with me. It was our third cruise and I had no idea DCL would do that so I didn't specify ahead. Luckily, my nearby cruise thread people adopted me right away to their table . (The waiters were very unsettled about the change though, I gotta say. But we prevailed.)

Sue
01/02/14-01/05/14 Disney Magic 04/13/13 - 04/20/13 Disney Fantasy 04/19/12 - 04/22/12 Disney Dream 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 Disney Dream 05/10/09 - 05/14/09 Disney Wonder 04/14/07 - 04/21/07 Disney Magic 01/15/05 - 01/22/05 Disney Magic 11/13/03 - 11/16/03 Disney Wonder
pershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Oh, you will be abandoned for fun, but it's all good -- there's plenty of fun to be had for you too. This will be cruise #8 as a single parent for me, and now you & I each have a new single parent friend to hang out with -- I'm sailing 2/15 as well! Come join our meet thread, there are tons of great people already there... we'd love to have you join us!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

Can someone tell us more about the single parent lunches? When are they generally held? Are they in one of the dining rooms? Are the dates/times announced prior to cruising or do you find out on board? It sounds interesting, but I am also planning on trying to get a Palo brunch one day and wouldn't want to schedule them for the same time. I am very excited about our cruise. I think after two summers in the parks, a cruise will truly be the easiest vacation we have had in a long time!

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocrobro View Post
Can someone tell us more about the single parent lunches? When are they generally held? Are they in one of the dining rooms? Are the dates/times announced prior to cruising or do you find out on board? It sounds interesting, but I am also planning on trying to get a Palo brunch one day and wouldn't want to schedule them for the same time. I am very excited about our cruise. I think after two summers in the parks, a cruise will truly be the easiest vacation we have had in a long time!
The lunches showed up on the Navigators but probably someone at Guest Services on board could tell you when they are planned for. They took place at noon. On our 14 day I think it occurred 3-4 times. On my 7 day it occurred twice. On the Wonder it was always in Parrot Cay (one of the dining rooms).

Yes, cruising is WAY easier than a park vacation for me. You will have a blast!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Cumpata View Post
Hello-

How was it?

I get off of the Magic on the 15th of February - I am a single mom with an DD11 and DS15. We will see how it goes - both my kids don't seem interested in the clubs so maybe they will stay arond me because I also told them they are not running all over the ship. I also figure in the two excursion days they will be with me and as a previous poster mentioned they will be required to join me for dinner each evening.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
KMG1969
Earning My Ears

I am a single mom traveling with my 3 kids on the April 26 Magic out of Galveston. I would love to hear if there are some other single parents cruising on this same date.
KMG1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1969
I am a single mom traveling with my 3 kids on the April 26 Magic out of Galveston. I would love to hear if there are some other single parents cruising on this same date.
Did you join your cruise meet? That's where I met other single moms, linked dining and made friendships, etc. it's really a helpful thing to do as a single mom.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Join your cruise meet. It is a great way to get to know some other adults.
Our family is on this cruise. (DH, myself & our three kids & his parents) There are a few single parents already in our cruise meet group.

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
RN611
Earning My Ears

Feb 15th Disney dream

Hi there! I'm also curious if there is a single meet on this cruise. My 6 year old and I are going and he loves the kids club so much. I went two years ago and although I loved going to the gym, dinners were a little lonely for both of us(he is a social butterfly). Any suggestions?

Melissa
RN611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: