Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
blessedmomofboys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmonti View Post
How long were you gone for and how old were your kids??
My kids were 6, 3 and 2. We were gone for 5-6 hours. We made sure to tell the CMs we were going on excursions and which one.

John, Heather, Carter (5), Preston (3), and Liam (2)

blessedmomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Not because the child isn't verbal or because I had any issues whatsoever with the Disney staff, but simply because you can't get back right away if you need to. It's one thing if you are on CC and have your wave phone, or if you are walking around the port in Costa Maya and can get back to the ship in 10 minutes or less. On the stingray excursion, even if they had a way to reach you, it could easily take you an hour to get back (time for the boat to travel back to shore, then have a bus pick you up and drive you 15 minutes or so to the port, etc).

The nursery on Fantasy is great. There are a lot of really nice toys in there, the cribs and sleeping area looked good (we didn't need to use it), they will give snacks/food/bottles, they check the diapers every hour and the staff are wonderful. They also report back to you and let you know how your child did, what they ate, if they had a dirty diaper, etc.

One other thing to consider is how well your daughter does in new situations. Mine (who was just shy of her 2nd birthday) did not like being dropped off at all. She LOVED the nursery when we went with her during open house, but she hated being left without us. That is very typical behavior for her though. The staff never called us to pick her up early, but whenever we put her in there, we always expected a call. They were obviously able to soothe her and find things to keep her busy, but she wasn't ever really happy there. Five hours would have been excruciating for her.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

I think it's a personal decision on what you feel comfortable with. I think if I worried about the "what ifs" every time I wasn't with my kids I would probably never leave the house! That said I have used the nursery many times, both leaving the ship in a foreign country (europe) and staying on board. Recently with my 15 month old- but only to CC with him. The staff is amazing. The kids are in the best of hands. If something were to go wrong they have resources on board. Likely with a baby that young they will be napping a good chunk of that time anyway. This last trip if my son was sleeping when we came to pick him up we let him sleep and had them call us when he woke up. He doesn't go to daycare so he was upset at drop off but they assured me he calmed right down in a few minutes he was playing away. Good luck with your decision, but don't feel guilty either way.
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
jeanmonti
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzsd View Post
I think it's a personal decision on what you feel comfortable with. I think if I worried about the "what ifs" every time I wasn't with my kids I would probably never leave the house! That said I have used the nursery many times, both leaving the ship in a foreign country (europe) and staying on board. Recently with my 15 month old- but only to CC with him. The staff is amazing. The kids are in the best of hands. If something were to go wrong they have resources on board. Likely with a baby that young they will be napping a good chunk of that time anyway. This last trip if my son was sleeping when we came to pick him up we let him sleep and had them call us when he woke up. He doesn't go to daycare so he was upset at drop off but they assured me he calmed right down in a few minutes he was playing away. Good luck with your decision, but don't feel guilty either way.
Thanks so much. I feel like anything can happen at any time, and like you said, if you're constantly worried about that you'll eventually be paralyzed! I think my main concern (after my parents made me a little paranoid about it) is whether or not she will receive good care and attention. The excursion coordinator said I can bring her on the boat if I'd like, so I think I'll make the decision once I get on the ship and get a feel for the staff in the nursery. I scheduled 2 hours the first day at sea, so I'll see how we do during that time and go from there. Thanks for your response - it was helpful.
jeanmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

2 reasons I wouldn't have done it at that age...

1. After 5 hours, my breast would explode.
2. After 5 hours, my other breast would explode.

DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
jmb910
Obsessed with anything Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post

That's awesome!
WDW: May 2014 / WDW: March/April 2014 / WDW: October 2013 / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: April 2013 / WDW: April 2013 / WDW: September/October 2012 / WDW: June 2012 / Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera: March/April 2012 / WDW: February/March 2012 / Disney Dream 4-Night: October 2011 / WDW: October 2011 / Aulani Resort: August 2011 / WDW: March 2011 / WDW: November 2010 / WDW: October 2010 / WDW: February 2010 / WDW: October/November 2009 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: October 2009 / WDW: May 2009 / DLR: December 2008 / WDW: October 2007 / Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean: April/May 2007 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: December 2006 / WDW: April 2006 / DLR: September 2005 / WDW: Too Many Times to Count 1999-2005

jmb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

We left our DD in flounders when we went on an excursion and would do so again. Whenever we cruise at first she would hesitant to go to the nursery but she got used to it. We would put here in there for adult dinners or during a late night show we wanted to see. I believe we were doing the Virgin Gorda Tour (approx 8am to 2pm) at the Tortola stop. Obviously on an excursion as other have stated it would be difficult to get back to the ship in a hurry. I think you just kind of have to let that go. We use daycare at home and both commute to work, if something were to happen there then we would be have trouble getting back in a hurry also. Sure there is the possibility of something going wrong on an excursion, but once again we have a similar risk even when we are at home. That's an unexpected variable. Even at our daycare at home, if there is an emergency we get a call then they would have to take her to the hospital, there is no doctor or nurse at the daycare. On the ship there are doctors and nurses. We looked at the medical facility, its better equipped then some of our clinics. And actually the teacher child ratio in the nursery is probably better then our daycare too.

Also we felt that she had a much better time staying on the ship versus us finding a kid friendly excursion. It is still a vacation for everyone in the family so everyone should have some fun. We have taken her on excursions with us as well but it is hit or miss, and when she is cranky it is generally a poor experience for all.

We have grandmas with us in the past for this reason and it has generally been good. We just get her a room and she has fun with the kids either grandma generally wouldn't enjoy the excursions we do.

Also we have given the crew our phone number as well in case they need to reach us, when we are at a place that has cell coverage. Before this gets out of hand, we use iphones, we turn the data off, so basically we are just using voice, no one calls us no charges.

It is up to you of course. We were in the same position before and disagreed about whether to try it or not. And I am glad we did because we wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post

So true, so true. Though with my dude, it would have been more along the lines of 3 hours.

If I were in this position, I would have trust in the people Disney hired. BUT I still wouldn't do it, because if the baby wants me, that's a LONG time for the baby to be upset. Babies don't have a sense of time, so every minute they cry is an eternity for their little hearts. I once used the playcare at my gym for DS, and even though we did everything "right" in terms of being chipper and happy and walking away to work out...about half an hour later I could hear him crying OVER the music and the free weights and the machines and TVs. I rushed back there, and he had been crying for the entire time, but they didn't want to interrupt my workout. I felt so so so bad for my guy, who must have felt entirely abandoned for that period of time.

Also, when I was 11 I injured myself badly maybe half an hour after my mom left for work (latchkey children at home for the summer). She had an hour commute each way, so even though we called and left a message at her work, it took the rest of that commute, parking, and getting ot the office to get her message, then she had to reverse all of that. It was a long LONG time to wait, while bleeding. Our neighbor didn't have any authority to take me to the ER, so he just sat with me and my brother, waiting. I was 11 and somewhat mature in that sort of way, and could rationalize it...a baby can't.

So that's why I wouldn't do it if I were faced with the decision. That and issue of the explosions that would be bound to happen in my bra.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: