Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #31
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

As the OP

I NEVER said the service was bad, maybe others have. I said it is a shame that servers are now responsible for bussing as well as serving which certainly leads to uneven service, which has been reported. Our servers have always been friendly and at least adequate. The Polynesian bent is almost totally missing though for anyone who has been going for years.

The food is not great and never was, IMO, but it always was quite good, if you like this type of food (I do) and is still better than average.

Some people criticize venues over personal ideals. I try to be objective. I have always loved the overall dining experience but is now way, way below what it once was in every way. That said newbies or people new to 'Ohana over the last couple of years may still like it but please realize my opinion is based on years of patronage.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl

If I had to pick one for dinner, it would be Biergarten. But lots don't like that you have to possibly share tables with other park guests.
I agree, Biergarten is better. id gladly pick that place over ohana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Kelly
Now I take the opposite view. I was at O'Hana in September for breakfast and I really enjoyed it. Breakfast is a character experience and I didn't feel rushed at all. We had plenty of time to eat and wait as each of the characters stopped by our table for a visit. As for the quality of food, breakfast was delicious. DH and my in-laws loved the bread while I loved the Mickey waffles. My only complaint would be that the bacon was salty.
I thought this thread was about DINNER. Not breakfast. I hated the dinner but I loved the breakfast! Two totally different experiences. Given the choice id obviously pick the breakfast over dinner.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer

Our first visit to Ohana was last week. I wouldn't fight for a reservation but I liked it well enough. I though the pork chop was the best part. The shrimp had a smoky flavor that I didnt like. The chicken and steak were good. The noodles were dry and not good at all. I thought the service was great. All of the food came out right away and it was all hot and fresh but I didnt care for the desert. I would eat at Ohana again if there is a reservation available but I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get to eat there.

charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

DW and I went to Ohana for the first time earlier this month. While we thought the food was good we had some issues. First off the pacing is terrible. Way too fast. I know others have mentioned this before and we were prepared and tried to slow them down but things still came out way too fast and we had to send back noodles/broccoli/wings/potstickers twice because they got cold before we even started on them. I think our servers got frustrated about us sending it back and requesting it later because when it was time for the skewers to come out, there never came over and we had to continually flag them down for them.

Second of all, we were seated on the "Race Track" where the kids did the coconut races. I got whacked in the shins twice by brooms and coconuts. We will probably give it another shot in the future but if things go the same way next time it will be our last.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Gonna be there next Wed for DH first time. I have hyped it up so much it will never live up to his expectation! I have been twice w/o him and had a great meal. Service needs to slow down. IMO the courses came out too quickly but I guess they want that turnover! $$
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #36
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Our family dined there a few years ago. It was just that once because my family asked that we not book it again. Our experience was colored by the fact we weren't seated until an hour after our ADR time. Of course, this can happen at any restaurant, but what made it really bad was the fact that there were a lot of empty un-bused tables that could be viewed from the waiting area. In addition, we were treated to a group of four CMs at the podium who did nothing for the entire hour except discuss their personal lives. The food was dry and we had to ask three times for the shrimp. It took a very long time to get the check and pay. Just not a pleasant experience!
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
Jakesmom504
DIS Veteran

We ate there 4 years ago for breakfast and LOVED it! I just booked an ADR for dinner and now I'm kind of nervous! Thinking maybe I should switch it.

POP...Dec 2012 POP...Sept 2008 Jake's First Trip!
POR...Dec 2000 Honeymoon! CBR...July 1991 OFFSITE...Aug 1985 POLY...July 1982...my first Disney trip!
Jakesmom504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #38
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

We were first timers who ate at 'Ohana on 10/9/12. The food was satisfactory, except for the steak which was especially good, but we weren't expecting much beyond that. However, our two servers were fabulous. One was from Costa Rica, the other from Mexico. They couldn't have been more accomodating and friendly. We would definitely go back even though the food was so-so. We did leave full. The service from the bar was kinda slow but we don't blame the servers for that. Perhaps the bartenders were backed up as the lounge was full of people.
L&Lfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
Space Mountain Kid
Mouseketeer

ohanas is always our must do every time we go. Great food and the last time we went for the leap year in February and just made it for the fireworks.

Space Mountain Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #40
7165red
DIS Veteran

I have always enjoyed Ohana and loved the bread pudding and ice cream. I go again if I could.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #41
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I have always enjoyed Ohana and loved the bread pudding and ice cream. I go again if I could.
I guess my review is totally irrelevant then...
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #42
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Peter I think what this proves is that this is possibly the most inconsistent eatery on property.

There are so many "never again" posts, but you see "best ever" comments as well. Either the food/service is inconsistent or people are so far apart on what constitutes a nice meal that you can't get a legitimate reading(which may well be the case)

To quote that old laxative commercial "What's a mother to do?" We'd love to love this place (some years ago it was pretty darned good).

If I were in charge, I'd work to improve the food quality even if I had to raise the prices. I'm sure there's some formula/ratio Disney demands from its restaurants that must be met which may prevent this solution from being possible.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #43
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Were you only looking for people to agree with you?

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #44
TaraBara
Mouseketeer

We just ate there on October 26th. It was probably one of the best meals I have had. Everything came out hot and all the meats were very tender. This is the third time we have eaten there. I think it is a place where anything could happen. Our second trip there was just okay, but this trip was outstanding.
You really just have to find out for yourself because there are always going to be pros and cons about every place. Plus, I think people tend to be more vocal when they have had a bad experience rather than a good one.

CBR - Sept 2001, offsite - May 2008 , CBR/AKL - Aug 2010, CSR/CBR - Aug 2011, CSR - Oct 2012, YC - Aug 2014

TaraBara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #45
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I had this one booked at 180 days out for our December trip. Never having been, this was the one ADR in my head that I "couldn't change or cancel", even though there were other restaurants that we were interested in. In the end, I ended up asking for some pro advice (thanks Rusty, lol) and decided to scrap it and go with Artist Point instead. After reading this thread I see we made the right pick.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: