Originally Posted by ninjagirl
Last update: the moral if this is that it pays to do your research and know when something isn't right --- even when your agent tells you it's okay.
We still weren't on the site as of yesterday so I emailed our closing agent and told her that deeds closed as early as yesterday were already showing up and something had to be wrong with ours because I knew this wasn't normal.
Our agent called the clerk over at the comptrollers office and our deed was rejected 6 days prior due to overpayment on our part. They have someone going to pick up the documents today at which point, they'll rewrite them and issue us a refund. I'm guessing they over charged us in the closing costs.
Sometimes in these transactions you have to be your own advocate. If the agent had looked into it when I first emailed her, it would already be done by now. Obviously you can't be obnoxious about it and call 1900 times before its supposed to happen but in our case it literally paid to know what the process was and how long it takes - even when our closing agent said it was fine.
Wow- glad you stayed on top of this! But bummer that now you have even longer to wait. At least you know what happened and that it is being resolved.... And that some $$$ is coming back to you! I hope everything from here on goes smoothly