Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

Stroller on cruise

we have a day in the MK before our 7 nights in the fantasy in may. Would love to bring a stroller for that and to use in airport. Is a regular graco single stroller too large to store in cabin? Or should I try to bring umbrella stroller instead? I just love the storage underneath my regular stroller.

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
jjiillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We took our Jeep stroller. It's not any good if the kid can't take a nap comfortably in it, IMO. We put it against the wall in the stateroom or in the tub when that wasn't being used during the day. We went several cruises before one of the kids didn't fall asleep right before dinner and need to be rolled to the MDR. They slept next to the table until they woke up and then joined us well rested. It's the only way we would have taken DD off the ship. She was comfy, had shade and we had storage.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you are on one of the new ships, there is room for the stroller under the bed. That said, you really don't need a big stroller on the ship and you'll have the pain of a big one on the elevators and in the relatively narrow halls.

If you want the big one at WDW, go for it. However, if a small one will do for that part of the trip as well, the ship does have big ones to loan to guests for excursions.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjiillee
we have a day in the MK before our 7 nights in the fantasy in may. Would love to bring a stroller for that and to use in airport. Is a regular graco single stroller too large to store in cabin? Or should I try to bring umbrella stroller instead? I just love the storage underneath my regular stroller.
Take the one you love. There is plenty room on the Fantasy. We were on a sold out summer sailing and had a stroller for DD And another for DS. We were always able to maneuver fairly easy and catch elevator rides together.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

I new to cruising with kids so this might be a silly question, but when you board the ship can the stroller be open and pushed on? Or does it have to be folded up?

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
jjiillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I new to cruising with kids so this might be a silly question, but when you board the ship can the stroller be open and pushed on? Or does it have to be folded up?
Nope, you can use it to board! we used ours to board, (through the entire process), in all the ports, and several times on the cruise because DS's sensory issues didn't let him walk when we could feel the ship moving. Ours is a little bigger than an umbrella stroller. It could have fit in the closet, but we actually kept it on the verandah to be out if the way.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
lbgraves

It can be open and in use. We quickly learned that when using the elevators avoid the midship ones. Also, don't wait for one going the direction you need to ultimately go. IOW, if you are on deck 3 and need to go to deck 10, get on the empty elevator that is going down. You only have 2 decks at most to go before you are heading in the direction you need to go AND for some reason people tend to avoid getting in an elevator not going in the direction they are heading. We still use this trick even though the strollers are long gone.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ohhhh I think so, but call and find out. We checked our stroller at the terminal (rookie mistake) because we wanted to get Dis strollers from guest services as soon as we got on board (was under the impression that they would be nicer then they were) and the wait in the terminal before boarding with two, unrestrained toddlers was deadly!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
It can be open and in use. We quickly learned that when using the elevators avoid the midship ones. Also, don't wait for one going the direction you need to ultimately go. IOW, if you are on deck 3 and need to go to deck 10, get on the empty elevator that is going down. You only have 2 decks at most to go before you are heading in the direction you need to go AND for some reason people tend to avoid getting in an elevator not going in the direction they are heading. We still use this trick even though the strollers are long gone.
Oh my goodness, great Idea! The "hit the button, watch like a hawk and RUN for the elevator" game got old after a while! I don't know why I didn't think of this!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
lbgraves

LOL! People look at you like you have two heads when you try to have them get on the empty elevator because it is going "the wrong way". Usually at busy times like dinner/show after you get to deck 1, the car fills up so when you get to deck 3 again the doors open and there isn't room for anyone else to get on -- and those people who looked at you like you had three heads are left watching the doors close and you continue to where you need to go.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Firemouse145
Earning My Ears

Take your stroller.

By all means take your stroller. The inconvenience of storage is more then made up for in comfort for you and the baby. We have taken ours for the same reasons as previously listed. Nothing beats the strolls along the deck while they fall asleep. The comfort, storage, and the ability to provide shade are well worth it. Yes you can wheel them right down the ramp and onto the ship. Enjoy your cruise.

Firemouse145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
It could have fit in the closet, but we actually kept it on the verandah to be out if the way.
DCL specifically states that guests are not allowed to store anything on the verandahs. It is a safety hazard, and if everyone stored items on the verandah it would detract from the look of the ship. Please keep it in the room. If too large for the closet of under the bed, store it in the tub except when showering.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
aaklang
Mouseketeer

The stroller will easily fit under the bed. We had three suitcases (two were pretty large) and a stroller under ours. We chose not to bring our own stroller and instead borrowed one of the Peg Peregos that they had on board. We kept it for several days (though we only used it once in Costa Maya). It's totally free, though you do pay a deposit (they only keep it if the stroller is damaged).

That said, we didn't go to Disney World before and my daughter is 2 so she was able to walk in the airport. If she'd been younger, we would have taken our stroller from home.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

Sailed 9/29 Fantasy, and we saw lots of strollers at the end of the night outside in the hallway by their cabin. It didn't impede walking for us. Not sure if this is a safety hazard or not, but the strollers we saw were regular full size strollers, NOT umbrellas

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: