Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many dresses for Formal/Semi/Palos
1 dresses for all 3 4 2.80%
2 dresses 18 12.59%
3 dresses 25 17.48%
Let your wife decide. You are crazy for having an opinion! 96 67.13%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the links. I do not like dresses and am very frugal, so I have a feeling this shopping trip won't be enjoyable.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

I say 3 We girls like to bring lots of clothes!

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara619 View Post
Thanks for the links. I do not like dresses and am very frugal, so I have a feeling this shopping trip won't be enjoyable.
Do you have a Ross or Marshals where you live? I usually find nice things at a decent price there. And I shop the clearance racks at the department stores.
And of course you don't need a dress. If you would like to dress up, do you have a pair of black pants? You could do one pair of black pants and a different shirt for each night. No need to be completely out of your element!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #34
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Just got a great cruise cocktail dress for myself at Ross for $15! Love them!

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
Just got a great cruise cocktail dress for myself at Ross for $15! Love them!
I love Ross! Sometimes we find gorgeous things, but lately it has been slim pickens

To answer the question of the dresses, I think it all depends on what you have planned. If you extra restaurant is Palo, I would have atleast 3. ONe for Palo, one for Formal, one for semi-formal. We have Palo brunch and dinner and Remy, so I have a total of 6 dresses,one extra just in case

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
tracyheartsmickey
Mouseketeer

Let her pack as many as she wants. After almost 20 years, my husband has learned not to complain. I like to take lots of pictures when on vacation, and I like everyone to be in different outfits in the pictures.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #37
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib

Do you have a Ross or Marshals where you live? I usually find nice things at a decent price there. And I shop the clearance racks at the department stores.
And of course you don't need a dress. If you would like to dress up, do you have a pair of black pants? You could do one pair of black pants and a different shirt for each night. No need to be completely out of your element!
Yes, they just opened a Marshall's last week! I haven't been there yet though. I'm glad to hear dress pants would be ok. I have some nice dress pants and nice dressy short sleeve sweaters I wear to work when the corporate bosses come to visit. Awesome!

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Agreeing with PPs. On our 8 night I took more than 8 dresses. However they were all similar colors schemes so I was able to take one pair of shoes that matched them all. As others have mentioned the shoes are what take up the room and weight. Could I have gotten away with less? Yes. Did I want to? No. The cruise is special and something I look forward to when I am stressed or covered in DDs lunch. The cruise is really my one time that I can style my hair and take a long time getting ready since everyone is entertained and I am not in charge of cooking and cleaning. I also like to have different looks in all my pictures that I share with family and friends. For me it makes it more special (please note I said "for me" so don't blast me).

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
GhostlyHitchhiker
DIS Veteran

I'm hesistant to suggest this because many have an "eww" factor, but I've been *shocked* by some of the stuff (brand new with tags - even in my unusual size) at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

I started going because my kids like to Cosplay and I wasn't going to special order or even special buy stuff for the massive amounts of costumes they dress in (they're tweens/teens - not little kids) and go to meetups, etc.

I had an aversion to buying clothes that someone else wore (slight OCD in our house), until I started finding some amazing things with the original tags on them. I know for a fact that they get Ross overstock because they had 15 identical dresses all with the original Ross tags still on them.

The trick is to go multiple times (and go to multiple stores if you can). They get new stock every single day and there are literally "bargain hunters" as well as people from those trendy "vintage shops" there Every Single Day.

I went to Nordstrom Rack, I went to Macy's, I went to Ross, Kohl's, looked on Amazon and could never find anything I liked that actually looked good ON me. At the Salvation Army, I found a $300 bridesmaids dress (missing the sash - which I replaced for $2.50 at the fabric store) with its original tag for $13. And it fit like it was made for me. :D
GhostlyHitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #40
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

I took 2. I wore the same dress to Palo brunch and semi formal night.
I wore one dress for formal night. I also had a skirt for pirate night.
I don't love dresses so I wore pants to dinner most nights.

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #41
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they just opened a Marshall's last week! I haven't been there yet though. I'm glad to hear dress pants would be ok. I have some nice dress pants and nice dressy short sleeve sweaters I wear to work when the corporate bosses come to visit. Awesome!
Oh, yeah dress pants are fine! I'm bringing dress pants for semi-formal night and maybe for Palo diner. (Packing now, just a day and a half left!)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby_of_newtodisney
All,

I think that she can get away with bringing two dresses - One for semiformal night and then a nicer one for both formal and Palo's night. She insists on 3.

What do you think?
This is like asking a girl how many pairs of shoes they should bring. :D

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our 2 Princesses View Post
I love everyone of those dresses you picked to wear!!
Thanks so much! I just love dressing up.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #44
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyHitchhiker View Post
I'm hesistant to suggest this because many have an "eww" factor, but I've been *shocked* by some of the stuff (brand new with tags - even in my unusual size) at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

I started going because my kids like to Cosplay and I wasn't going to special order or even special buy stuff for the massive amounts of costumes they dress in (they're tweens/teens - not little kids) and go to meetups, etc.

I had an aversion to buying clothes that someone else wore (slight OCD in our house), until I started finding some amazing things with the original tags on them. I know for a fact that they get Ross overstock because they had 15 identical dresses all with the original Ross tags still on them.

The trick is to go multiple times (and go to multiple stores if you can). They get new stock every single day and there are literally "bargain hunters" as well as people from those trendy "vintage shops" there Every Single Day.

I went to Nordstrom Rack, I went to Macy's, I went to Ross, Kohl's, looked on Amazon and could never find anything I liked that actually looked good ON me. At the Salvation Army, I found a $300 bridesmaids dress (missing the sash - which I replaced for $2.50 at the fabric store) with its original tag for $13. And it fit like it was made for me. :D
The first dress I bought for my upcoming cruise was a $2 Goodwill find. Since that time, my preteen daughter has grown 6 inches and has claimed rights to the dress for semi-formal night. That's okay, though, for semi-formal, I have a $7 black cocktail dress from ebay. Both are machine washable and look brand new.

I'm taking 3 dresses total....a simple long navy blue gown for formal night, the black cocktail dress, and a nice sundress with a black cardigan for Palo dinner and Remy brunch. Silver heels match all 3. I rarely get to dress up, and I'm very excited to do so. For the other 4 nights, I am bringing a simple knee length knit skirt and a pair of black capris, and a couple of blouses and cardigans that I can mix and match. The capris will be part of my pirate costume as well.

OP, let your wife bring what she wants. I'm telling my DH what to bring, but only because he has asked me to. He admits to having a total lack of fashion sense.

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #45
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyHitchhiker View Post

You won't get an "eww" from me. You can often find some great dresses at second hand stores or consignment shops. You can also find great deals at bridal shops for old bridesmaid's and mother of the bride dresses. I normally don't buy a dress unless it is on sale or I have a coupon. You can often find some really good deals at places like Macy's or Carson's. You just have to watch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: