Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer

Sorry to have offended some ppl but i have a right to my opinion regardless of whether i sent the meal back or not. As i stated in my post, my sisters strip was good and the soup was amazing. I just don't get the hype over the mushroom filet. As far as it being overcooked, I didn't send it back bc it wasn't that big of a deal to me however i would think a steak house that will soon be a signature should know how to cook a steak. The main problem i had was that the steak had no flavor and just was not good. There is not much LC could do about that as it was a matter of taste for me. I also stated that i never had risotto so i don't know what its suppose to taste like. I never said it was crunchy so I'm not sure where that came from. Maybe the risotto was cooked right. I have no idea as i have nothing to compare it to. The purpose of my post was to see if I'm the only one who thinks the filet is over-rated. It was not intended as a rant or a complaint or to offend the many LC fans.

charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife3517
Sorry to have offended some ppl but i have a right to my opinion regardless of whether i sent the meal back or not. As i stated in my post, my sisters strip was good and the soup was amazing. I just don't get the hype over the mushroom filet. As far as it being overcooked, I didn't send it back bc it wasn't that big of a deal to me however i would think a steak house that will soon be a signature should know how to cook a steak. The main problem i had was that the steak had no flavor and just was not good. There is not much LC could do about that as it was a matter of taste for me. I also stated that i never had risotto so i don't know what its suppose to taste like. I never said it was crunchy so I'm not sure where that came from. Maybe the risotto was cooked right. I have no idea as i have nothing to compare it to. The purpose of my post was to see if I'm the only one who thinks the filet is over-rated. It was not intended as a rant or a complaint or to offend the many LC fans.
Very good point. Totally agree. for a place becoming a signature soon they better make some improvements. Very inconsistent place. Their prices are ridiculous for the quality they serve. No way is this place on par with the other signatures.

You are not alone in this OP, trust me.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
michellejed
DIS Veteran

I have been to LC once, 2007 with my DD and her BF, we just happen to be looking for a dinner reservation that day and LC came up with one. The girls said lets try it.

I never tried it before because the menu just didn't grab me.

I was unimpressed with the whole thing, food was just O.K. and sitting in a dark room with a server who was unavailable most of the time just didn't say I want to return.

There are too many other places to try or repeat that we did like.

Just cross it off your list of have tried and move on
michellejed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Part of the problem comes from (and there is no nice way to say this), people, as a whole, have no idea what good food is supposed to taste like. The Disney Parks are open to everyone and when you look at what everyone likes to eat, on average, it's crap. I've never seen an Olive Garden nor a Cracker Barrel where people weren't standing outside waiting for a table. I always try to keep that in mind when looking at general opinion on restaurants at Disney.

Further take into account that most people don't eat steak often and being one of the big MANLY foods, there is a lot of bad information and machismo surrounding steak and that makes it even harder to learn what makes a good one...I guess what I'm saying is that a great many people wouldn't be able to tell a good steak from a half camouflaged bad steak.
And! Disney knows this.

Given the location, I wouldn't expect a quality much above a mediocre chain no matter what anyone told me. Unless of course I knew they had an understanding of what makes a great steak.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I never understood the hype of Le Cellier. I've had better meals for a fraction of the price at small, locally owned places. There are places at Disney I go out of my way to eat at because while the prices are inflated the meal is either unique or good. Le Cellier is neither in my opinion. Same goes for Teppan Edo. I have a much better Teppan-yaki restaurant 3 miles from my house that costs half as much. Why the heck would I pay for inferiority at Disney.

Just my opinion.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I've enjoyed everything I eat at Le Cellier but I don't order steak. I don't like what they did to the mussels, they used to be the best at WDW.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
lunaemica
Earning My Ears

leCellier

We have been to LeCellier many times and though the steak can be average or great the bread sticks and soup are always WONDERFUL!
lunaemica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

I would rarely if ever make a reservation at a place who's claim to fame is steak. It's pretty easy to make a good one at home so I look for place that cooks things I can't.

Although a filet is very tender it is usually very lean which can mean less flavor.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #39
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The first time we tried Le Cellier, we were disappointed. I think because there's no way it could live up to the hype. The next few times though we enjoyed it tremendously. Sorry you did not enjoy it.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
Part of the problem comes from (and there is no nice way to say this), people, as a whole, have no idea what good food is supposed to taste like. The Disney Parks are open to everyone and when you look at what everyone likes to eat, on average, it's crap. I've never seen an Olive Garden nor a Cracker Barrel where people weren't standing outside waiting for a table. I always try to keep that in mind when looking at general opinion on restaurants at Disney.

Further take into account that most people don't eat steak often and being one of the big MANLY foods, there is a lot of bad information and machismo surrounding steak and that makes it even harder to learn what makes a good one...I guess what I'm saying is that a great many people wouldn't be able to tell a good steak from a half camouflaged bad steak.
And! Disney knows this.

Given the location, I wouldn't expect a quality much above a mediocre chain no matter what anyone told me. Unless of course I knew they had an understanding of what makes a great steak.
George, you nailed my thinking on Disney food and peoples' opinions of it. We go in about 10 days and have 1 ADR, California grill. Part for the food, the other the great view of the fireworks. I don't go to WDW for the food.

Most people rave about the food at chain restaurants which, IMHO, is usually pure crap if you order anything beyond a simple hamburger.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #41
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I never understood the hype of Le Cellier. I've had better meals for a fraction of the price at small, locally owned places. There are places at Disney I go out of my way to eat at because while the prices are inflated the meal is either unique or good. Le Cellier is neither in my opinion. Same goes for Teppan Edo. I have a much better Teppan-yaki restaurant 3 miles from my house that costs half as much. Why the heck would I pay for inferiority at Disney.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaemica View Post
We have been to LeCellier many times and though the steak can be average or great the bread sticks and soup are always WONDERFUL!
Not sure what to say about a steakhouse that has the soup & bread as the most popular item.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #42
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I just wish there was a counter service place to get poutine.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #43
Senor_Jorge
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
I would rarely if ever make a reservation at a place who's claim to fame is steak. It's pretty easy to make a good one at home so I look for place that cooks things I can't.

Although a filet is very tender it is usually very lean which can mean less flavor.
Generally very true. What the animal was fed on the finishing lot can be a big player, as can the stress or lack thereof. Wet and dry aging can both increase the amount or depth of "beef" flavor as well. That's a pretty expensive proposition to use on the scale needed at Disney.
Senor_Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife3517 View Post
As far as it being overcooked, I didn't send it back bc it wasn't that big of a deal to me however i would think a steak house that will soon be a signature should know how to cook a steak.
I could have swore that earlier you said you ordered it medium well instead of medium like you always do? Not the restaurants fault that it was overcooked to you if that was the case.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #45
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I just wish there was a counter service place to get poutine.
Provided, of course, that it was any good. LC's is pretty gross. Of course, I've had some gross stuff in Montreal as well. Seems as if the dish gets ruined the minute the kitchen tries to "chef it up". Best kept simple, IMHO.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: