Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
TARIE7291
TARIE7291

I was on this cruise, I do applaud the crew for getting us home alive. The ship did hold up pretty well considering what it went through and Captain Tom did get us through this horrific storm. Did I agree with Disney's decision, either it was Captain Tom or Corporate, no. Especially after what we endured on Friday night. The rough seas started Thursday early morning lasting until we arrived to port, but Friday night was horrible starting in the early evening until arrival to PC. We are just thankful we did arrive to PC in one piece. It all could have been worse. Yes, I will cruise again, but not during hurricane season again. I'm not risking it.
TARIE7291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
linco711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARIE7291 View Post
I was on this cruise, I do applaud the crew for getting us home alive. The ship did hold up pretty well considering what it went through and Captain Tom did get us through this horrific storm. Did I agree with Disney's decision, either it was Captain Tom or Corporate, no. Especially after what we endured on Friday night. The rough seas started Thursday early morning lasting until we arrived to port, but Friday night was horrible starting in the early evening until arrival to PC. We are just thankful we did arrive to PC in one piece. It all could have been worse. Yes, I will cruise again, but not during hurricane season again. I'm not risking it.
We were on the fantasy and totallly agree with your assessment. That being said we have taken many cruises during hurricane seasons over the years and have never had a problem. The captains were always able to take us around or away from any bad weather. This was not a weather problem, but more of a wrong choice being made. It could have been avoided.
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARIE7291 View Post
I was on this cruise, I do applaud the crew for getting us home alive. The ship did hold up pretty well considering what it went through...
Was there some kind of inspection made of the ship before the Fantasy left for a new cruise? There wasn't much down time between coming in and going out.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #34
PegIra
DIS Veteran

Pictures of the Fantasy

I saw someone mentioned that had seen pictures of the ship and its damage. Where did you find them,would like to look at them.

So thankful everyone is safe and sorry you all had to go through this experience.
PegIra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

I'm just glad everyone made it home safe. I know this was a scary experience!!

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
sherpasmom
I dream in Disney

OP ~ Smart dad who didn't panic and kept a vigilant watch for his family that night which I'm sure had some interesting moments and some you'd rather not experience again. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and point of view. Hopefully this is a learning experience, but as we all know on the Gulf Coast, hurricanes can be and are very unpredictable. Having the sea under you, makes it even moreso....

Hat's off again to a smart dad
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #37
sasmmb
Mouseketeer

Indy: thanks for posting and glad everyone came home safely. I was reading another blog where someone was complaining about how DCL did a terrible job with disembarkation where the passenger was crammed shoulder to shoulder with other passengers in the lobby for over an hour. And then I thought of you in your nice Buena Vista Theater location, and realized that oftentimes it is truly up to the individual taking the appropriate action that makes all the difference in the world. Great job!
1974 - 1st trip - off site; Summer 76 - off site; Winter 76 - Golf Resort (now Shades of Green); 86, 88, 92 - off site; years blur together but AS Music, AS Sports, WL, DL, CBR, BW Villas, 1 night GF Concierge, Poly, YC, Swan, AS Sports, CBR (Dec 31, 1999), WL, AKL, CS, Poly, April 07 Swan, POFQ and Pop Century; Sept 07 FW Cabins; Oct 07 Dolphin ; Oct 08 off-site; Oct 09 BWV; Oct 10 SSR; Feb 11 GF; Nov 11 AKL/BWV; Jun 12 off-site; Nov 12 Pop Century; Nov 13 BWV; Feb 14 CBR and CS; May 14 OKW; Oct 14 Dolphin and BWV

DCL - Inaugural Alaska May 2011 (Wonder); West. Carrib. May 2012 (Fantasy); Eastbound Transatlantic May 2014 (Magic)

Married at the Disney Wedding Pavilion 1998
sasmmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #38
bengals01
DIS Veteran

I saw many people walking around. There were 2 in the aqua duck walking around. Saw 3 people in nemo's reef looking at the walls. Saw others walking around with clip boards.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #39
INDY1919A4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmmb View Post
. I was reading another blog where someone was complaining about how DCL did a terrible job with disembarkation where the passenger was crammed shoulder to shoulder with other passengers in the lobby for over an hour. And then I thought of you in your nice Buena Vista Theater location, and realized that oftentimes it is truly up to the individual taking the appropriate action that makes all the difference in the world. Great job!
Well to be fair here, We did not have a plane to catch, we drove.. So Time was not an issue for us. Had an interesting talk to the Luggage handler on the way out. According to him (and he impressed me as a reasonable type guy) usually he will manage 8 to 10 trips out with luggage.. Today he had 4 because when they opened the door, the crowd just hit them.. Everyone wanted their bags now.. and just took their own when they discovered he did not have 10 arms and 6 feet.. He stated that he had never seen a rush like that before.

So there was a lot of pent up demand in the crowd to get going.. I guess that is to be understood, but there is a down side to this...

Now I am just guessing here, Disney IMHO is the best at handling large crowds. I think in this case there were Crew Members who broke their butts the night before just trying to hold things together, and now they were trying fix up all the mess and catch up with the backlog of luggage, that there were fewer hands to manage a good exodus from the ship..

And other then some heavy handed edicts about who can leave when, there was little they could do..
INDY1919A4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #40
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Maybe the Captain didn't sail straight through the storm. Maybe he sailed the outer edge with information that it would be safe and then encountered a quick developed squall in the outer bands. Storms are unpredictable.
I wasn't on this cruise but with 20 years of US Navy navigation experience I think I can speak somewhat authoritatively on the subject of where the Captain went.

There were pictures on the other (now closed) thread that showed both the track of the storm and the track of the ship. If the ship had sailed directly from St Martin to Port Canaveral, it would have gone right through the middle of the storm. As it was, the ship sailed to the west of the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Bahamas. That would have put it on the fringes of the storm and it would have been in the lee of the islands.
GrumpyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #41
reigle4
with magicdust is the only way to travel

Me too

I have to show this report to my husband. He won't believe there is somebody else like me. I would have done the same.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
purplegirl247
I joined for reason A
It got a little better the higher we got
I'll come back and quote everyone individually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
It looks like a good 4-5 hours where things were really bad and of course that would seem like forever to those stuck in the middle of it. Too bad DCL didn't give more instructions, like putting loose objects in drawers or being careful of slamming doors during the rough seas. Hopefully, they'll change things a bit in how they handle things in the future
I too was on this sailing. I think part of the reason why there wasn't more information given was that the worst of the waves occurred in the middle of the night, and I'm guessing the Captain didn't want to awaken anyone/freak anyone out unless he really had to (which turned out to be twice, lol). A heads up to secure our items would have been nice, but if it had come at midnight, we probably would have been more worried than anything else.

Great account, OP! Matches our experience as well, except we didn't see the crying crew. As I mentioned in another thread, I think we were a bit sheltered because we were on deck 2 midship, so didn't get as much listing. I'm curious to find the other thread, to see what kind of craziness they were reporting! (We were apprehensive with all the rocking and creaking, but were put at ease as soon as Captain Tom reported that the ship was behaving normally.)
purplegirl247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #43
pdarrah
It's nice to know you are real, too
It might have fallen off or something

Just a comment on the crush disembarking. My family was on a Panama cruise that disembarked VERY late - we were held up by US Customs clearing the ship (the general belief was that they were much more thorough than usual because we had a stop in Columbia) By the time they cleared the ship to let the passengers off, all the breakfast seatings (early & late) were finished and everyone was milling around the lounges and other public areas.

The lobby was packed in like sardines with the people who wanted to be off first (presumably to catch flights). Since our flight wasn't until that evening, we just stayed out of it, but there were a lot of complaints about the crowd pushing and shoving on the DIS later.

That was on the Magic, so far fewer people than the new ships which probably compounds the problem. The difficulty is, I'm not sure how DCL can control this short of forcing people to disembark by deck or something which isn't needed for 95% of the cruises. To organize the disembarkation, they would have to pass out instructions at least the night before and they don't usually know there will be a problem until well after that.
We usually visit 2 times per year (spring & fall)
DCL: Magic cruises: Oct 04, Oct 05, Jan 07, Aug 08, Oct 10, Fantasy Nov 12

pdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

first i am glad overall everyone is fine and while the damage was fixable.
I am not sure if DCL or anyone else was fully prepared for how bad Sandy was gonna be,,, I am sure it was quite scarey and just not a usual great Disney time.

i had a friend sailing on another line for a first time and she got caught in Sandy,, sadly she is very jaded now towards cruising. She is quite thrifty hence the cruise during the middle of hurricane season,, one of those take your chances things and in this case it didn't work out at all! unfortunately she went can't even talk about a DCL experience despite it all.

i hate cruisers or anyone had to go thru the storm wrath!

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #45
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarrah View Post
Just a comment on the crush disembarking. My family was on a Panama cruise that disembarked VERY late - ...
That ends up occuring whenever there isn't a closed loop cruise apparently, especially a PC repo. We knew to expect it from our friends who were on the WB repo. We camped out on deck 4 with friends while the kids played and we relaxed on the loungers...avoided the entire mess. Of course, we were not in a rush because we were just staying in Orlando for the day while waiting for our flight out the next morning.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: