Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
bluehawaii19
Mouseketeer

Some Parents/Some Children....

I was leaving the Magic Kingdom today (waiting for members of my party) and a little boy (in a stroller) ran over to a mother duck and her baby and hit the duck, then ran away laughing. All his parents did was call him back over. The children was around 4 years old. Then he ran back over to the duck and kicked it.

Some parents definitely need to discipline their children better. I just shook my head in disgust at how some parents can be so careless with their children.

Last edited by bluehawaii19; 10-31-2012 at 07:58 PM.
bluehawaii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

So sad. Wonder what that child will hit when he is grown up?
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
bluehawaii19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
So sad. Wonder what that child will hit when he is grown up?
Yeah exactly. I seriously wanted to go over and slap him. And the fact he was laughing about it, made it even worse in my opinion. Luckily he didn't even go near the baby duck but I was concerned because it was right on the ledge near the boats and the duck could have fallen in the water. She and the baby got to safety in the boat waiting area.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Sad

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
disney_girl123
Canadian Disney Fanatic

Yikes. there were kids running around the carousel of progress when we were on it, they had to stop the ride 15 times, honestly 15, and the parents still wouldn't make them sit until other adults yelled at them to. Maybe people just don't care.
disney_girl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I rarely discipline someones kid but he would definitely have gotten a loud "knock it off" from me!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
bluehawaii19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_girl123 View Post
Yikes. there were kids running around the carousel of progress when we were on it, they had to stop the ride 15 times, honestly 15, and the parents still wouldn't make them sit until other adults yelled at them to. Maybe people just don't care.
Yeah, that would be really annoying. We ate supper tonight at Kona and were seated next to a table with some children dressed up for Halloween. One of the kids knocked his drink off the table and it splashed on me a tiny bit (I have a new Coach purse that almost got wet with whatever the drink was). The kids kept throwing stuff at each other. One was rolling around on the floor and he left sand or something on it and one of the women working had to sweep it up. They were very noisy and kept jumping around (these kids were at least 6 years old). One kept dropping his toy gun on the floor and sitting in the way of people trying to get by. The parents didn't even seem to care or do anything.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Vatrahaki
Earning My Ears

Growing up, my mother firmly believed in "spare the rod, spoil the child". By today's standards, she'd be thrown in jail for child abuse. Because of my childhood, I don't spank my daughter, but if she hit and kicked a duck while laughing like a little psychopath, I believe I would make an exception.
Vatrahaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawaii19 View Post
I was leaving the Magic Kingdom today (waiting for members of my party) and a little boy (in a stroller) ran over to a mother duck and her baby and hit the duck, then ran away laughing. All his parents did was call him back over. The children was around 4 years old. Then he ran back over to the duck and kicked it.

Some parents definitely need to discipline their children better. I just shook my head in disgust at how some parents can be so careless with their children.
I would have had a few words for that child. Discusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawaii19 View Post
Yeah, that would be really annoying. We ate supper tonight at Kona and were seated next to a table with some children dressed up for Halloween. One of the kids knocked his drink off the table and it splashed on me a tiny bit (I have a new Coach purse that almost got wet with whatever the drink was). The kids kept throwing stuff at each other. One was rolling around on the floor and he left sand or something on it and one of the women working had to sweep it up. They were very noisy and kept jumping around (these kids were at least 6 years old). One kept dropping his toy gun on the floor and sitting in the way of people trying to get by. The parents didn't even seem to care or do anything.
Unbelievable I never let my children act up in a restaurant. They were taught how to behave in public, and that was that.
We were at Captains Grille, and our waitress came over to apologize about having to get other wait staff to take care of us because she had a terrible table, very demanding, and monopolized all her time, and the kids were awful, throwing crayons at her, and other diners around them, parents did nothing
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatrahaki View Post
Growing up, my mother firmly believed in "spare the rod, spoil the child". By today's standards, she'd be thrown in jail for child abuse. Because of my childhood, I don't spank my daughter, but if she hit and kicked a duck while laughing like a little psychopath, I believe I would make an exception.
AMEN! I grow up the sameway but would also make an exception
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

This thread should be re-titled 'Some Parents"

I agree with a PP that it's not my job to parent for someone else who is too lazy or irresponsible to do it themselves. Kids do what kids do, like kicking waterfowl, but it's up to the parent to pound it into their children's heads that something like that is wrong. My children were taught how to behave and respect others around them, ducks included. Of course other parents think it's funny that their kids would do such a thing. It's those parents that are the problem, not the kids.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
This thread should be re-titled 'Some Parents"

I agree with a PP that it's not my job to parent for someone else who is too lazy or irresponsible to do it themselves. Kids do what kids do, like kicking waterfowl, but it's up to the parent to pound it into their children's heads that something like that is wrong. My children were taught how to behave and respect others around them, ducks included. Of course other parents think it's funny that their kids would do such a thing. It's those parents that are the problem, not the kids.
Very true, it's sad some people are so ignorant. I probably would have said something to them too
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Mom2darlingboys
Mouseketeer

We were on a bus on the way back from Magic Kingdom to Boardwalk in September, and there was one other family on the bus with us, mother, father, son around 4 years old, and two daughters maybe 7 or 8 years old. The parents sat on either side of the two girls, the boy in mom's lap. She spent the entire bus ride turned away from her daughters, coddling and hugging the little boy, while dad spent it looking up at the ceiling.

The two girls started the trip by punching one another, over and over, and laughing, while the punching got increasingly more violent. My two boys sat quietly watching, clearly aghast. We were not even halfway to the resort when the punching escalated to kicking. They both leaned back on their parents and started kicking each other full on. Eventually, not surprisingly, one was crying, then the mother gave the father a dirty look, he looked away, and she continued coddling the boy.

My younger son looked up to me and whispered, "And you thought WE were bad!". I used it as a teaching opportunity to explain why we don't parent by ignoring bad behaviour and my kids AGREED! This family was the talk of the remainder of our vacation. Any time we reprimanded our kids for the rest of the vacation, they immediately reminded each other of the two "spanish girls" on the bus (they were speaking in Spanish rather loudly while fighting with each other) and stopped bickering.

We still talk about them. It amazes me that they could simply ignore their daughters' behaviour and not burn up with shame or embarrassment the whole bus ride. They didn't seem the least bit phased.

May 2008 POFQ - May 2009 POFQ - May 2010 CBR - October 2011 POR - September 2012 BWV - February 2013 BC/Poly - December 2013 POR - May 2014 POR/POLY - Dec 2014/Jan 2015 POR
Mom2darlingboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatrahaki View Post
This

FWIW...I have even had the cops called on me once for YELLING at my child in public and THREATENING to make her stay in her room for a very long time because she was refusing to do what I asked her/she agreed to do. Like staying in her room was a punishment

Since that happened about 4 years ago I am VERY VERY careful about disciplining my children in public.
Simba's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

One day when we were staying at the Beach Club and hanging out by the pool, there was a child who was amusing himself by chasing some ducks.
The ducks ended up by where me and my sister was sitting, and when the little boy ran up I just glared at him. He turned and walked away. The ducks hung out by me and my sis for quite a while. If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is people who hurt animals. It is very sick behavior.

I've also witnessed a couple of kids tearing up the flowers at the Poly, and the parents just standing there chatting while the kids ripped up plants by the roots, and tossed the around. One time at the Crystal Palace while waiting for our table there was a little boy who would throw a ball into the flower bed, and then climb in to get it, and throw it back in again.

And people wonder why Disney has such a hard time keeping things looking nice. Some people let their kids behave like brats.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: