Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
inluvwithbuzz
Mouseketeer

I am from Calgary. And I would personally feel more comfortable with my kids roaming around Disneyland by themselves more than I would the Stampede.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

I started letting my DD and her BFF go off alone when they were 11, I think. But she has grown up (basically) at DLR and knows every square inch of the place. She knows where to go and who to contact if she has problems. So I didn't worry about her. She had her cell phone and we all met up at specific times. We started with one ride, then one hour and worked up to longer amount of times as she proved responsible. But we have found that we generally spend most of our time together anyway so it doesn't happen very often anymore.

She is 14 now and I have no problem letting her and her brother go on rides by themselves and meet up with us afterwards. Even if they got separated, I know my ds would know where to go and who to ask. But again, the understanding is that they have to stay together and meet back where we tell them to.

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Mine were 12 and 9, we had been going to DL for a while by then and they knew the parks very well so I was OK with it. They also had cell phones so I was even more comfortable with it. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
Carolwoodpr
DIS Veteran

Our son is 10 now. He has been going to Disneyland 3 times a year since he was a baby. Last year when he was 9 we started letting him go off alone. He has a cell phone with our numbers plugged in, knows the difference between a stranger and a CM and knows the park better than most adults.

I have to say letting him off alone was hard for me because we got separated when he was 5 and I lost him in Redwood Creek. That was the scariest 10 minutes of my life. He was fine when I found him.

When I am at Disneyland I love to people watch. I watch children like a hawk, especially if they don't seem to have a parent with them. I am sure I am not the only Mom who does this. Your children should be fine.

And you could always tell them if someone grabs you and it is not a CM, scream. Not like you are scared but scream Help, or something like that to get the attention of others.

Be sure to let us know what you decide to do!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Carolwoodpr
DIS Veteran

Oh, letting our son loose also depends on the crowds for us. The busier it is the closer we keep him to us. We are going Christmas week and know it will be crazy busy and he already knows he won't be leaving us often.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

I think they'll be fine. My parents used to leave me home alone at 9. Then again, that was the 90's, and the rules were pretty strict. All I did anyway was homework and tv. haha I was able to roam Disneyland by myself when I was 14. This was before 14 year olds had cell phones, so I was without... instead I was able to do whatever I wanted with my friends and other family teens, and we had to meet up with all the adults and littles at the castle before the fireworks. You know your kids best, you trust them, and they've shown themselves responsible before... maybe try it out, but stick to certain rules. Our rules were things like "no park hopping" "stick together" etc. Or, you can stick to a certain land... like have lunch at Paradise Garden Grill, and let your kids ride everything in Paradise Pier.

Have a great trip!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

My oldest son is 11. I would not allow him to go off by himself, but that's just me. At 14 I would be okay for them to go off for a short while by themselves but not into another park. I would keep a cell phone on them so you can get in contact with them if you need to. My dh tells me I'm an over protective parent though
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 / Next Up: Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/10/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithbuzz View Post
I am from Calgary. And I would personally feel more comfortable with my kids roaming around Disneyland by themselves more than I would the Stampede.
I'm 39, and 'I' don't feel comfortable roaming around the Stampede. Of course that has more to do with extremely drunk middle-aged cougars prowling the fairgrounds in short shorts (and if you're from Calgary, you know what I mean - seriously, Stampede week is like Vegas around here - what happens during Stampede, stays in Stampede)...
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

I would let my 12 yo. Go off alone. Shes been to dl at least once a year since she was 7. Its really not a huge park when you have cell phones with lattitude(gps tracking). I cant imagine a safer place for a kid. There's so many cm and its swarming with families in good moods.
niffer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

When I was a kid, our city Parks & Rec department also offered trips now and then to places like Magic Mountain, Knotts, and Disneyland.

My best friend was 3 years younger than me. In the early 80's, we went to ALL of the above mentioned parks at least once with Parks & Rec when I was between 9 and 13 years old. Evidently, our city didn't require kids to be in middle school to go. We did Disneyland alone on one of those trips when we were 7 & 10, respectively. We did fine...however, we were both latchkey kids of single parents, and we were used to being on our own. Plus, my friend was a boy AND gigantic for his age (he was as tall as me almost every year...until of course, he passed me up), so, he was always mistaken for being a few years older than he actually was.

For me, it would depend on the maturity and responsibility level of each particular kid. Honestly, the main thing that makes me leery of sending the under 12 crowd off without at least one person of the same sex, is that they'd then have to go into the bathrooms alone. I don't know about Canada...but the U.S. has had some pretty horrific things happen to little kids at the hands of child predators after going into a public bathroom alone. Now, I've NEVER, EVER heard of ANYTHING happening to a kid in a Disneyland bathroom. I'm hoping that if there was an event like that, the public would be made aware? But...I don't know.

Anyway, that's just me. Only about 25% of my family and friends feel the way I do about young kids going into public bathrooms alone, soooo...I realize I'm in the minority. Still, it's something to consider.

We've not had this issue really come up for us because our kids really enjoy sticking all together on our Disneyland visits. I think on our last trip my college aged daughter and her boyfriend took the younger kids on a ride or two without us, but then everyone wanted to meet back up and do stuff all together as a group again.

My close friend has kids who are young, but HUGE for their ages. At 9, her son is 5ft tall! So,...she feels safe letting him do things on his own because everyone always mistakes him for being about 13, and his size makes him unlikely to be the target of a child predator. I can see where she's coming from.

Hope your family has a wonderful time!

Last edited by Mugglemama; 10-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
disneymum58
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm from Calgary too and agree completely!

disneymum58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
Beee
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you posted this thread as I was just starting to think about this for our trip next month. Our DD is nearly 13 and while I have no problem with her venturing off on her own around home I am not so sure in a different country! But then thought surely disneyland is probably the safest place for her to get that little bit of independence she will no doubt be craving. I think it is a great idea to have a pre arranged meeting place and time and to start with small things like one ride on her own and see from there as well as rules like staying in the same park etc.

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
I'm 39, and 'I' don't feel comfortable roaming around the Stampede. Of course that has more to do with extremely drunk middle-aged cougars prowling the fairgrounds in short shorts (and if you're from Calgary, you know what I mean - seriously, Stampede week is like Vegas around here - what happens during Stampede, stays in Stampede)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymum58 View Post
I'm from Calgary too and agree completely!
lol fair enough!!! Lots of Calgarians here and yes, you're all right. If I let them roam the Stampede grounds alone then I am over reacting to the idea of letting them walk around DL together.

Thank you for all the responses. We will definitely let them try it out. I'm sure it will go fine and yes, we will have a set meeting spot as well as our cell phones. I'm sure they will be fine and no doubt enjoy the freedom of wandering the Happiest Place on Earth by themselves for the first time.

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
mytymom79
Earning My Ears

I dont know about DLR but last year my oldest boy (who is now 14 and 5'6 and 220lb solid brick ****house) was only 13 and I let him stray off a little bit in the same land at wdw. I even let him take his 4 year old brother on a few rides without me and waited nearby for them to find me afterwards.

We leave in less than a week and I was thinking the same thing, I know my oldest is responsible and he is more than capable of watching his 6 year old brother but not sure I would let them stray a little bit or not out in Cali. ... But really who is going to mess with a boy like mine ?

Just different territory for us this time around ! I am sure they will be fine, and I am sure if they want to do something and I want to rest, they would be alright in the same land as me.

Plus my 6 year old is extremely shy, he will not leave his big bubby's hand or side. Trust me ! My parents who will be with me will be having a bird but I am sure once we get there they will want to do something off on there own.

Let us know your decision, as I know how torn you can feel. However, reading these posts def helps !!!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
JennyN
Mouseketeer

Am I the only odd parent, there is no way I would have let my daughter wander around DL (or anywhere else for that matter) on her own at 14, Now at almost 18 she knows I am over protective but she appreciates how much we treasure her.

Disneyland 1985, 93, 96, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, 07,April 08 and Dec '08, Sept '11 and Dec '11, Nov '12, July '13 and Dec '13.
WDW 03,05,10 and 2011 Disney Wonder Cruise 2010
JennyN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: