Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

Passport question

Hi everyone,

I have a passport question ... I think I know what I should do just like to hear if anyone has thoughts or advice.

We have sailed several times in the past (8 to be exact) but I had recently gotten very sick in Dec of last year. ( I was eventually diagnosed with MS) I thought our cruising days were over, but the medicine has started to help some, ans since I have been walking and driving again (yeah) I decided to take a chance. i have booked us on a short (lol) 4 night cruise in April of 2013 (just to get my feet wet and see how it goes) ... any way

The cruise is on the Magic and leaves from Galveston, with one stop in Cozumel. My passport and my husbands passpot expire 12-2013 and my 13 yr old daugghtr's passport expires 8-2013. The government advices renewing passports 9 months ahead of the due date .. which is close to cruise time.

I was wondering if I should renew them before or after the cruise. I am leaning towards before .. like now =), but I am just slightly worried about getting them back in time or what to do if something goes wrong, I would hate not having a passport for this cruise. Am I just overthinking this and worrying too much?

Disney Wonder Alaska August 10, 2015
Disney Dream Bahamas July 13, 2014
Disney Magic Galvastan Apr 16, 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas Aug 16,2011
Disney Wonder Alaska June 7, 2011
Disney Magic Baltic Cruise 2010
Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 2008
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Carribbean 2005
Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2004, 2006
jarudinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

I think many countries require your passport to be good for 6 months after you visit the country. I do not know specifically for Mexico, whether they care about that. So you and DH passports are fine, the uncertainty is for your daughters.
However, to renew takes just a couple weeks. We dropped off our DS passport and received his renewal less than 2 weeks later. Since children can not "renew" they can only apply for new 5year passports, but renewing now, or even in February, you loose out on quite a bit of her time.

Perhaps some experts here can comment on whether they would have a problem with a passport expiring in 4 months, but if anything, I would not apply till end of January.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

The passports are good until well after your cruise. I'd probably just leave it for later, but if you want to renew, go ahead & do it now. We renewed DD's right after Christmas last year, and it seems it was back in a couple of weeks (but my memory could be faulty.)

PS: I am most certainly not an expert, so feel free to take their advice instead.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarudinski View Post
We have sailed several times in the past (8 to be exact) but I had recently gotten very sick in Dec of last year. ( I was eventually diagnosed with MS) I thought our cruising days were over, but the medicine has started to help some, ans since I have been walking and driving again (yeah) I decided to take a chance. i have booked us on a short (lol) 4 night cruise in April of 2013 (just to get my feet wet and see how it goes) ... any way

The cruise is on the Magic and leaves from Galveston, with one stop in Cozumel. My passport and my husbands passpot expire 12-2013 and my 13 yr old daugghtr's passport expires 8-2013. The government advices renewing passports 9 months ahead of the due date .. which is close to cruise time.

I was wondering if I should renew them before or after the cruise. I am leaning towards before .. like now =), but I am just slightly worried about getting them back in time or what to do if something goes wrong, I would hate not having a passport for this cruise. Am I just overthinking this and worrying too much?
For an April 2013 cruise, the adult passports would be fine as you have 7+ months still valid after you return from the cruise. For the teenager's passport, I would probably go ahead and renew. Her passport would be valid for 5 years and that would put her past age 16 when it expires and she can get an adult one. You could do it now or do it in January and still have time to get it back. You do send her existing passport off with the application for the new one for her, so you do want to have time to get them back. So if it were me, I'd probably go ahead and do it now (or soon, at my convenience) but definitely have it sent off for by early January.

DCL says "Disney Cruise Line asks that you provide your passport number at least 75 days prior to the start of your vacation in your Guest Information Form in My Online Check-In."

I found this on the Travel.State.Gov site:

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?
a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

So I guess you should look into each of these elements to determine when to renew for your daughter.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The suggestion about renewing 6-9 months before expiration is because some European countries will not allow you into the country unless you have at least 6 months remaining on the passport. This is not a problem in the Caribbean at all. Your passport is good there (and for re-entry into the US) until the actual expiration date.

You will have plenty of time to renew all 3 after your cruise provided that you don't have another trip planned immediately following the cruise. Passports are expensive; why waste many months of useful time unless you are visiting a country with the 6 month requirement?

FWIW, it only took 3 weeks to get our renewals back!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm a big passport person, but with the travel you have planned and the expirations of your passports, I would not worry about it at all. Not even a little.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
SG101
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't spend the money before the cruise if I didn't have to. Just wait until after or until you book your next cruise.
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

Still plagued by some uncertainity I found a phone number for the US. Passport Services. There response was Mexico does not require the 6 month validilty and therefore all the passports are good. Also they said if I were to send them in early (before the 9 months) I would need to explain why I am trying to renew them early. So I decided I am just going to leave this headache until after the cruise. One less thing to worry abou =)

Disney Wonder Alaska August 10, 2015
Disney Dream Bahamas July 13, 2014
Disney Magic Galvastan Apr 16, 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas Aug 16,2011
Disney Wonder Alaska June 7, 2011
Disney Magic Baltic Cruise 2010
Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 2008
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Carribbean 2005
Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2004, 2006
jarudinski is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread