Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
chrisnsteph1022
Earning My Ears

Where do I start? Leaving in 17 days

We've had this trip booked for several months, but haven't done any actual planning. We're staying outside the park at Bonnet Creek Resort (we own with Wyndham). Our kids are 5 and 6 and this is the first trip for all 4 of us. Our son has mild autism and anxiety, but I don't think he'll need special accommodations. However, I have a disability and will need a wheelchair or ECV. I've been browsing the disabilities forum and it's been very helpful.

As far as the trip, where do we start? Should we buy park tickets ahead of time? Or is it too late for that? We will be there 4 full days (including Thanksgiving Day) and want to go to MK and AK. I've heard you can do AK in one day, but may need 2 days for MK. We want at least one day to relax at the resort. What's the best way to buy tickets?

Oh, and we were told by a friend that we should do Breakfast with Mickey (I think?). How do we do that? Is that in MK? Most of our meals will be in the condo. Can we pack a lunch and bring it into the resorts?

I've also heard the little girls wear princess dresses, which my daughter would love to do, but how does that work with the rides? Do they get in the way? Anything we should definitely make sure we do, or anything to avoid? I know we waited way too late to start thinking about all this. It just snuck up on us.
chrisnsteph1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsteph1022 View Post
We've had this trip booked for several months, but haven't done any actual planning. We're staying outside the park at Bonnet Creek Resort (we own with Wyndham). Our kids are 5 and 6 and this is the first trip for all 4 of us.have a great time!
Our son has mild autism and anxiety, but I don't think he'll need special accommodations. However, I have a disability and will need a wheelchair or ECV. I've been browsing the disabilities forum and it's been very helpful.
i've found that also.
As far as the trip, where do we start? Should we buy park tickets ahead of time? Or is it too late for that?
sorry, can't help you with tickets as we buy ours as part of the package-we're from the uk. We will be there 4 full days (including Thanksgiving Day) and want to go to MK and AK. I've heard you can do AK in one day,you can, but you need to be there at rope drop and will need a good plan-as it's vast. but may need 2 days for MK. We want at least one day to relax at the resort.
What's the best way to buy tickets? again, i'm sure a diser will be able to advise.

Oh, and we were told by a friend that we should do Breakfast with Mickey (I think?). How do we do that? Is that in MK?
i'm guessing your friend is referring to chef mickeys breakfast-its at the contempory resort-not mk-don't know if there would be any bookings available-but you could always try.- you need to book in advance-look on disney website (dining section)there are other breakfasts with characters in the parks-but again you would need to book-it's called an adr- Most of our meals will be in the condo.
Can we pack a lunch and bring it into the resorts?yes you can.

I've also heard the little girls wear princess dresses, which my daughter would love to do, but how does that work with the rides? Do they get in the way?
my daughters were too old to get dressed up, so i have no personal knowledge, but i've never seen any problems.
Anything we should definitely make sure we do,
look at the park opening times and attend as soon as they open-called rope drop. look at park maps and decide which rides/shows you are interested in.or anything to avoid?
i would avoid the parks which have extra magic hours in the morning for disney resort guests,if you are staying off site.
I know we waited way too late to start thinking about all this. It just snuck up on us.
before our first trip, we literally did no planning aside from booking flights, tickets and accommodation. it did not spoil our experience in anyway-we loved it all. we went in the summer and were surprised by the rain, but then it quickly stopped. we now have ponchos! just relax, enjoy yourselves, have a mini plan but be prepared to be flexible and have a super time!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
4Boys2Disney
Earning My Ears

Welcome! We are leaving soon as well! Excited for your family.
4Boys2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Welcome! We leave in 17 days too!!

My DD9 has mild autism but we do get her a FAC for those just in case moments.

I am buying tickets from Maple Leaf tickets and having them delivered to our condo. They are always so nice. It's just one thing I want to get out of the way.

Have fun!!

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

As for for Breakfast with Mickey keep trying for a reservation. I snagged a chef Mickey reservation for 5 of us last month.

I hear it will be a busy week but won't let that stop us from having fun.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote