Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
ariane37
DIS Veteran

Resorts with Best Christmas Decorations?

Hi all,
Heading down to WDW in a few weeks for our 4th Nov. trip, but have never visited other resorts to see the decorations. Definitely going to see the gingerbread house in GF and I hear FWL isn't to be missed. What other resorts have the best Christmas decorations?
Thanks!
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if by FWL you mean the Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness campground. With that said, the WL is gorgeous and is not to be missed, IMO. We have never visited the campground, but I have read that the guests there really do alot of decorating and it is amazing to go through there. Even though the WL is our favorite during the holidays, we also love the GF and the BC/YC/BWI .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariane37 View Post
Hi all,
Heading down to WDW in a few weeks for our 4th Nov. trip, but have never visited other resorts to see the decorations. Definitely going to see the gingerbread house in GF and I hear FWL isn't to be missed. What other resorts have the best Christmas decorations?
Thanks!
I think its the Yacht that has a moving carousel made of gingerbread that shouldn't be missed. When we went for Christmas two years ago, we took the monorail and hit the MK resorts and then hit the EPCOT resorts. The Boardwalk had a pretty cool gingerbread set up too. If you have the time, I'd try to go see them all.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Our favorites are Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Boardwalk and Beach Club.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

All of the Epcot resorts are great. Don't forget about the Swan...they had a huge chocolate sculpture last year.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
All of the Epcot resorts are great. Don't forget about the Swan...they had a huge chocolate sculpture last year.
We have never gone into the Swan (or Dolphin for that matter). Do you have any pictures of the chocolate sculpture?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
ariane37
DIS Veteran

Thank you! We're staying at the Boardwalk so we definitely won't miss that . And I never would have thought of the Swan, but will add it to my list since it's so close anyway.
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

We are arriving New Year's Eve probably late afternoon. We will be staying at Pop that night & we will have a rental car. My plan was to drive to WL then boat over to CR then take the monorail to GF & Poly. Does this sound doable? I'm just afraid the traffic will be unbearable trying to get to WL. Any advice? Thanks!
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

The Christmas tree at Jambo was beautiful a few years back!!

GF is my favorite.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnerd09 View Post
I think its the Yacht that has a moving carousel made of gingerbread that shouldn't be missed. When we went for Christmas two years ago, we took the monorail and hit the MK resorts and then hit the EPCOT resorts. The Boardwalk had a pretty cool gingerbread set up too. If you have the time, I'd try to go see them all.
We haven't been in Dec for about 3 years, but then the gingerbread carosel was at the Beach Club. Yacht Club had a large miniature village type display. There was a ski chalet, train, etc, all with mini characters. There was sooo much to look at.

I love the look of the BWI trees & decorations. The old fashioned glass ornaments say "Christmas" to me. I am in the minority, but I didn't care for the Wilderness Lodge decorations. I am not outdoorsy & so those woodsy, nature type trees aren't to my taste. Love the fireplace & cosy seating areas tho!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy6060 View Post
We are arriving New Year's Eve probably late afternoon. We will be staying at Pop that night & we will have a rental car. My plan was to drive to WL then boat over to CR then take the monorail to GF & Poly. Does this sound doable? I'm just afraid the traffic will be unbearable trying to get to WL. Any advice? Thanks!
Definitely doable. But, I would take the back route. By that I mean heading down past the entrance of POFQ on Bonnet Creek Parkway, turning left onto vista Blvd and going by the entrance of Fort Wilderness. You will then come out to the intersection of Vista Blvd and World drive. Turn right onto World Drive then right onto Timberline Drive and the WL. That route takes you around all the trafic heading to MK. You can check it out on Google.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
We haven't been in Dec for about 3 years, but then the gingerbread carosel was at the Beach Club. Yacht Club had a large miniature village type display. There was a ski chalet, train, etc, all with mini characters. There was sooo much to look at.
These were taken in 2010:

Beach Club:

Yacht Club:

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

while you are at Pop - appreciate its decoration - also might go see if AoA has any this year.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
These were taken in 2010:

Beach Club:

Yacht Club:

Yep, that's what I was talking about! I just loved that YC display. Must have been cold when you were there....everyone seems to have on jackets & even gloves! Thanks for posting!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Yep, that's what I was talking about! I just loved that YC display. Must have been cold when you were there....everyone seems to have on jackets & even gloves! Thanks for posting!!!
I agree....the YC display is amazing . We were there for 7 days right before Christmas and while we did have a few days of warm weather (75-80), there were also a few days that were a little on the chilly side. December is one of my favorite times of the year to go, but the weather can be so iffy and can suddenly change overnight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: