Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #1711
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
This could be so, but SAB has an 8-foot deep section!! There are a ton of children over there, and the pool is more spread out, so I'm hard pressed to see how the courtyard pool at GF is an issue. They apparently filled in the deeper end in the quiet pool at the Poly a year or so ago, even though that pool is smaller.

I'm just grumbling 'cause we love the deep end, so no excuse will please me.

Interesting thought - I wonder if they simply misunderstood the photos, and interpreted the sand layer for the fill as a finished pool floor? I guess we'll soon know.

I assumed it was a typo, I often find one in my own posts and have to edit.
Ah yes, Edit. I see that now. It would have made more sense for me to Edit than it did to Quote. sorry. You're too polite.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #1712
runskimom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
This morning I listed to the Unofficial Guide podcast with Jim Hill. The topic was water parks but near the end of the podcast they talked about sandy bottom pools "like they're doing with the courtyard pool at the Grand Floridian". No idea if they're correct but that could be fun.
This is interesting. I wonder where they got that idea from. I am not a pool installation expert, wonder if anyone is who can speak to what the pictures show. To my untrained eye, it looks more like grading with polymeric sand that will then be covered, rather than sand bottom... I'd love to hear more about where Jim Hill got that idea or what CM at the GF are saying!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #1713
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
Ah yes, Edit. I see that now. It would have made more sense for me to Edit than it did to Quote. sorry. You're too polite.
Not at all! I really wasn't implying you should have used edit - just that I often edit myself. I'm obsessive about proofreading and still find typos in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskimom View Post
This is interesting. I wonder where they got that idea from. I am not a pool installation expert, wonder if anyone is who can speak to what the pictures show. To my untrained eye, it looks more like grading with polymeric sand that will then be covered, rather than sand bottom... I'd love to hear more about where Jim Hill got that idea or what CM at the GF are saying!!
This was my thought exactly. Up here, the layer prior to concrete is usually gravel, but if there is a pool liner rather than concrete bottom they use graded sand.

Maybe I'm not seeing the actual material accurately, and the stuff I think is sand is really dirt? Hard to tell from the photos, for me. As you say, maybe someone who is familiar with Florida pool structure can pop in with some input.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1714
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Before I forget...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #1715
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

We are thinking of staying at GF, which would be our first time there in 15 trips in the end of April 2013.

Would it be safe to assume:

all the pool, refurbs will be complete with the exception of DVC?

DVC will be opening later in the year, correct? we want to go before they open and the resort is busier.

thanks

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #1716
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post
Not sure how much stock we can put into this, but the artist's rendering of Gasparilla's looks amazing! I forgot to mention this yesterday...

where did you see this? thx

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #1717
tamj
Earning My Ears

25th anniversary BOOKED!
We'll be at the GF in a kittle more than a month. Dec 16-21 (with our two children). We would go alone, but we have taken care of my mil here with us for ten years, so my nosy have sacrificed vacations for all that time. Can't leave them out now and what better place than Disney?
Now, how to make a ticker on this iPad?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #1718
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Disney-Kim,

Posted on the construction walls are artist's renderings of Sandy Cove and Gasparilla's...can't tell much about the gift shop, but the sketch of Gasparilla's looks amazing - high ceilings with luxurious-looking booths and tables. I don't know how accurate the sketch is, but it looked beautiful.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #1719
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamj View Post
25th anniversary BOOKED!
We'll be at the GF in a kittle more than a month. Dec 16-21 (with our two children). We would go alone, but we have taken care of my mil here with us for ten years, so my nosy have sacrificed vacations for all that time. Can't leave them out now and what better place than Disney?
We just returned from our 20th anniversary (coincidental timing) trip! Since I noted that on our reservation, we were surprised with an upgrade to Sugarloaf club level! Our DD was happier than we were! It was really great. It doesn't hurt to note these things on your reservation...I certainly didn't expect it, but I secretly hoped for at least the view I asked for, which was why I noted it in the first place. Definitely give it a try!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #1720
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Kim View Post
We are thinking of staying at GF, which would be our first time there in 15 trips in the end of April 2013.

Would it be safe to assume:

all the pool, refurbs will be complete with the exception of DVC?

DVC will be opening later in the year, correct? we want to go before they open and the resort is busier.

thanks
Yes, the pool, gift shop and quick service should be completed by then. The most current refurb schedule is on the first page of this thread - at least, I think it is current, I didn't check the website today.

As far as I know, DVC is still planned to open late 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamj View Post
25th anniversary BOOKED!
YAY! Love, love, love December at the Grand. So festive, you are going to love it.

Wish I could help with the ticker, but I don't have any Apple products so I don't have experience with the interface. If you go to the Tech Board, you might be able to find what you need. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post
Disney-Kim,

Posted on the construction walls are artist's renderings of Sandy Cove and Gasparilla's...can't tell much about the gift shop, but the sketch of Gasparilla's looks amazing - high ceilings with luxurious-looking booths and tables. I don't know how accurate the sketch is, but it looked beautiful.

Welcome back! Thanks for describing the artist's renderings, sounds great! I wonder if I can find them online? WDWKOOK is great at it, maybe I can con her into looking...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #1721
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Wow. While looking for Gasparilla/Sandy Cove drawings, I noticed on wdwmagic the valet parking fees will go up by $3 to $15/day! Yikes.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #1722
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Not at all! I really wasn't implying you should have used edit - just that I often edit myself. I'm obsessive about proofreading and still find typos in my post.

This was my thought exactly. Up here, the layer prior to concrete is usually gravel, but if there is a pool liner rather than concrete bottom they use graded sand.

Maybe I'm not seeing the actual material accurately, and the stuff I think is sand is really dirt? Hard to tell from the photos, for me. As you say, maybe someone who is familiar with Florida pool structure can pop in with some input.

It looked like dirt to me a couple weeks ago unless they put sand over it after I was there?

Very interested to see how everything turns out, for better or worse! Still wishing for the quiet pool at the villas...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #1723
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom
Wow. While looking for Gasparilla/Sandy Cove drawings, I noticed on wdwmagic the valet parking fees will go up by $3 to $15/day! Yikes.
I keep telling you the walk to self-park isn't so bad!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #1724
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
It looked like dirt to me a couple weeks ago unless they put sand over it after I was there?

Very interested to see how everything turns out, for better or worse! Still wishing for the quiet pool at the villas...
Thanks, if you saw dirt while there I'm sure that is what is still there. I sometimes have trouble discerning small detail in photos, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

We can't wait to see the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
I keep telling you the walk to self-park isn't so bad!
I'm starting to see your point.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #1725
garada3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoGKC View Post
The Boardwalk is about $250 less than the GF but of course no monorail, fireworks, water parade...

Thanks for any help!
Sorry for being late to reply to this request - thank you Sandy : )

We recently went to Disney for a long weekend and stayed at the BWI because we could not get a Royal Palm Club Magic Kingdom view room for our dates. While the BWI was very nice as far as the room (Boardwalk view), staff, concierge lounge and location (love the walk to Epcot) it just did not provide the same sense of 'ahhh ' that I feel at the Grand Floridian.

It is the items you mentioned - monorail, fireworks and water parade - that are part of the Grand Floridian vacation feeling that makes me smile.

Good luck with your choice.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: