Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife3517 View Post
We just got back yesterday from our first DisneyWorld vacation. I booked Le Cellier at my 180 days because of all of the great reviews. My bestfriend goes every year and she loves Le Cellier. I went our first day in Disney and got the Mushroom Filet. It was horrible. It was over cooked, had no flavor and although I have never had risotto, it tasted like undercooked rice. Is that what its suppose to taste like? I have also read that the filet is super salty. Mine was not salty at all. I would have to say that this was the worst meal of my trip. My sister got the NY strip and it was really good as was the soup. Am I missing something? I am not a food snob but this meal was just not good. I thought Le Cellier may have been having an off day so I got the mushroom filet at the food and wine festival booth and although it was better it was not amazing. Not like the reviews I read. Maybe its just a matter of taste and its not to my liking Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN View Post
I think the main problem has to do with expectations.

LC has been hyped to the heavens so a newbie to the restaurant expects great things ... very hard to live up to. They have also made it a 2 dining credit restaurant (I think), so you REALLY have high expectations.

While I have enjoyed LC in the past, there is no way I would use two precious dining credits for the meal.

Again, I really hate it when a restaurant, movie, book, etc is super-hyped ... a good portion of the time you are disappointed just because you've been led to believe that it was "out of this world".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
This.

It is hard to get an ADR.
It was "upgraded" to a 2 Credit establishment.
It is on the Dining Plan, so it gets far more attention than Shula's or Bull and Bear.

Put this all together and you have the makings of high expectations that are very difficult to meet.
There's a difference from poor food quality vs overhyped. In this case, it clearly seems as though the food quality was not good. I agree with you about high expectations thou, dont get me wrong. Many ppl experience it.....they hear so much about a restaurant and how amazing it is, s/he gets all excited, only to be let down in the end because their expectations were too high. In the OP's case, i dont think it was just the hype.

I guess ppl just have a hard time believing that LC can in fact prepare not so great steaks?

There were many restaurants for me that were hyped up which I did love in the end....via napoli is a great example. the quality/flavour of the pizza is outstanding. WGPE is another good example.

I was really excited about ohana because again, ppl keep saying its the best thing ever. Well I thought it was down right disappointing. Very poor quality of food. It wasnt about the hype, it was about the crappy quality of food they served. The slimy wings, poor quality of beef and pork, dry noodles and pot stickers. Ditto for LC. My steak was not good at all.
__________________





........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 10-31-2012 at 09:09 AM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
There's a difference from poor food quality vs overhyped. In this case, it clearly seems as though the food quality was not good. I agree with you about high expectations thou, dont get me wrong. Many ppl experience it.....they hear so much about a restaurant and how amazing it is, s/he gets all excited, only to be let down in the end because their expectations were too high. In the OP's case, i dont think it was just the hype.

I guess ppl just have a hard time believing that LC can in fact prepare not so great steaks?

There were many restaurants for me that were hyped up which I did love in the end....via napoli is a great example. the quality/flavour of the pizza is outstanding. WGPE is another good example.
I was really excited about ohana because again, ppl keep saying its the best thing ever, well I thought it was down right disappointing. Very poor quality of food. It wasnt about the hype, it was about the crappy quality of food they served. The slimy wings, poor quality of beef and pork, dry noodles and pot stickers. Ditto for LC. My steak was not good at all.
Agree about the slimy wings at Ohana - yuck!!! And I love wings!
Ohana was just OK for me, DH loved it, but also said we didn't HAVE to go back on our next trip...once was enough.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
vatali
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: STL, home of nothing.
Posts: 106

It's unfortunate that the hype has become greater than the food can be for first time visitors. This has happened at Coral Reef too.

I try to make sure I go there every time (although I will say I am not going this time) and the steak is always just barely a step above outbacks level. But the things that go with it, the neat atmosphere, the incredible pretzle sticks and the soup worth shoving over make it a top place to go. The service I have had there, once inside, has always been top notch. Maybe not the prople out front though

Make sure you are judging on what you are gettign as a meal, and not judging on a single part. It also hasn't helped Disney that they turned this into a 2 ticket resturant. People change the value, or expectations based on that price tag.

So no, it's not Ruth Chris. It's not Mortons in terms of steak level. But to me, its a much mroe enjoyable MEAL then eaither of those 2 locations for virtually the same price.
__________________
Me DW DD11 DD5

May 04 - Off-site, Dec 06 - POR, Dec 07 - POFQ, Dec 09 - POR, Dec 11 - POFQ, Dec 12 - Contemporary, April 14 - DLR
vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
SheenaXena21
DIS Veteran
 
SheenaXena21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,305

We were so disappointed in Le Cellier this trip. We ate there on Oct. 20th. The waitress was great, we ordered the filet cooked medium, with cream cheese mashed potatoes. Well, it came out well done. I was so hungry, I started to eat it anyway. My sister ate one bite of hers. When the waitress came over, we told her about the steaks. She had them make us another. Well, they came out almost well done. We just said it was fine, because it was taking forever!!! The waitress was really nice, but we wouldn't see her for long periods of time. We ended up getting dessert to go, because we didn't want to wait anymore.

Le Cellier wasn't the only TS of the week to overcook the steak. Tokyo Dining and Coral Reef also overcooked them.

We've never had a problem with overcooked steaks. In fact, any other trip, they usually came out rare.

Kona Cafe` was the best TS of the week. I think next trip we're going to just get the QS, unless the regular dining is free. It's pretty bad, when most of the QS meals were better than the TS meals.
__________________



SheenaXena21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
jalpert
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 179

When you told them it was overcooked, how did they help you?

We got a filet that was overcooked and horrible. They got it right the second time and it was much much better.

I'm assuming you didn't let them know they made a mistake, it's not in your post. If they made a mistake and you didn't let them know, I'm not quite sure why you're posting this now. You even said your friends was very good, getting unacceptable food is never fun but they would have fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife3517 View Post
We just got back yesterday from our first DisneyWorld vacation. I booked Le Cellier at my 180 days because of all of the great reviews. My bestfriend goes every year and she loves Le Cellier. I went our first day in Disney and got the Mushroom Filet. It was horrible. It was over cooked, had no flavor and although I have never had risotto, it tasted like undercooked rice. Is that what its suppose to taste like? I have also read that the filet is super salty. Mine was not salty at all. I would have to say that this was the worst meal of my trip. My sister got the NY strip and it was really good as was the soup. Am I missing something? I am not a food snob but this meal was just not good. I thought Le Cellier may have been having an off day so I got the mushroom filet at the food and wine festival booth and although it was better it was not amazing. Not like the reviews I read. Maybe its just a matter of taste and its not to my liking Who knows.
jalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,204
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
They have also made it a 2 dining credit restaurant (I think), so you REALLY have high expectations.
Le Cellier is not currently a 2 credit restaurant at lunch, it's still one credit for lunch.

The switch to 2 credits is supposed to be January 1, 2013.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpert View Post
When you told them it was overcooked, how did they help you?

We got a filet that was overcooked and horrible. They got it right the second time and it was much much better.

I'm assuming you didn't let them know they made a mistake, it's not in your post. If they made a mistake and you didn't let them know, I'm not quite sure why you're posting this now. You even said your friends was very good, getting unacceptable food is never fun but they would have fixed it.
Sorry, OP, but I have to agree with this. If your steak was overcooked then you just should have told your server and asked for another steak that had been prepared to your liking. If it wasn't salty enough for your taste,then I'm pretty sure that there was a salt shaker on the table.

While our experiences with the filet at LC have always been very good, I know that it is not the most flavourful cut of beef (we prefer ribeye at home), and is disasterous if cooked to a well done state.

As for your risotto, I'm not sure what you were expecting or what exactly was the problem with what you received. It shouldn't be 'crunchy', but neither should it be 'mushy'.

All that being said, and even though we have always had very good meals at LC, I tend to agree that many people seem to have unrealistically high expectations for this restaurant. I have yet to find a DDP restaurant that consistently meets the 'hype' that surrounds it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there
 
BEASLYBOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 4,754

When I order an expensive cut of meat, I expect it to be cooked as requested. Le Cellier has always done a great job in that regard. Did you mention it to the waiter and ask for what you ordered? I certainly would have!

Our typical meal at Le Cellier, each a bowl of cheddar cheese soup, split a NY strip, rare, and split a a creme brulee! In 10 years Le Cellier hasn't let me down yet!

As far as the Risotto, it should be creamy, tender but not soft! Risotto should not be al dente!
__________________
Summer Aug 2014- Kidani-2bd

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
TinkerwithDis
Mouseketeer
 
TinkerwithDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 268

Looks like LC can do no wrong. The OP got a lousy piece of meat and risotto that didnt taste quite right, yet its her fault because she didnt complain and had such high expectations. Tsk tsk.

Why is it hard to believe that LC steaks isnt that as great as some ppl make it seem to be?
TinkerwithDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there
 
BEASLYBOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 4,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerwithDis View Post
Looks like LC can do no wrong. The OP got a lousy piece of meat and risotto that didnt taste quite right, yet its her fault because she didnt complain and had such high expectations. Tsk tsk.

Why is it hard to believe that LC steaks isnt that as great as some ppl make it seem to be?
Quite the contrary, but how is a chef or a restaurant to make amends or corrections for a poor meal if not told of the situation. Some people choose to accept "inedible cuisine" without bringing it to the attention of the mgmt., some of us do not! And at this point we don't know what the OP did.

Personally, I wouldn't eat hard /uncooked risotto or over cooked meat anywhere, and that includes Le Cellier!! Nor would I pay for it, had I not eaten it and sent it back! All I can comment on are my experiences, all the while totally accepting that the OP clearly had a different experience.
__________________
Summer Aug 2014- Kidani-2bd

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 10-31-2012 at 12:25 PM.
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
As far as the Risotto, it should be creamy, tender but not soft! Risotto should not be al dente!
Yes it should.
Here is an excerpt from Lidia Bastianich's Basic Risotto recipe where she explains how to finish the dish:

Stir constantly until the rice mixture is creamy but al dente; this will take 16 to 20 minutes from the time the wine
was added. When in doubt, undercook...
The total amount of stock you use may vary for several reasons: the type of rice you are using, the shape and size of the pan, and the de-
sired texture of the finished risotto which can be quite dense, or soft and runny, depending on your personal taste. If you like a creamier risotto called allonda, or wavelike in Italian stir in a little more stock once the rice is al dente, but do not cook the rice any further. For a denser risotto, keep the rice over the heat and cook until the last addition of stock has been almost entirely absorbed by the rice.


Bringing the rice to the al dente stage and then cooking it no further yields a risotto that is al dente. Some carry over cooking is anticipated, but not so much as to move the rice past the al dente stage. You are looking for al dente. Not crunchy.

Last edited by JimmyV; 10-31-2012 at 12:32 PM.
JimmyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO

Quite the contrary dear friend, but how is a chef or a restaurant to make amends or corrections for a poor meal if not told of the situation. Some people choose to accept "inedible cuisine" without bringing it to the attention of the mgmt., some of us do not! And at this point we don't know what the OP did.
Agree! Restaurants and chefs aren't mind readers. I always try to remedy a problem at the time it happens or as soon as possible. I generally have very good luck with this. Whether it's an airline, hotel or restaurant I am much happier when I take care of the occasion problem immediately rather than venting later.
__________________

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there
 
BEASLYBOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 4,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Yes it should.
Here is an excerpt from Lidia Bastianich's Basic Risotto recipe where she explains how to finish the dish:
.
Kuddos to Lidia, whom I've met by the way in NY w/ her daughter.... but having eaten risotto in Italy several times, and their rice is different than ours, it should be firm, but al dente, here is crunchy rice!

My risotto is creamy and firm, not soft.

Hard rice is not pleasant to eat............
__________________
Summer Aug 2014- Kidani-2bd

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
.... but having eaten risotto in Italy several times, and their rice is different than ours, it should be firm, but al dente, here is crunchy rice!
Getting imported Arborio or Carnaroli rice from Italy is pretty easy these days, so you can start with rice that is the same as theirs. But I agree that if you aren't starting with the proper rice, achieving non-crunchy, al dente risotto is difficult.
JimmyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,581

I am sorry you were disappointed in your meal. To be honest, I've never had a steak at Le Cellier. I love the pork chop with mac and cheese, or sometimes I order the chipotle sausage and polenta app with a side of the mac and cheese (in case you can't tell, I love a good mac and cheese). In fact, the only ADR I have booked for my December trip is a Le Cellier lunch just so I can get one last pork chop before the lunch goes signature. BTW - I've never seen salt or pepper on the tables at Le Cellier.

However, any restaurant can have an off day, and I had one at Le Cellier a couple years back. I had two lunch ADR's booked, one week apart on the same day of the week, same time of day. You would expect the meals to be fairly similar. They were total opposite ends of the spectrum. One meal was absolutely perfect - great service, perfectly prepared food, etc. The other meal was horrible - the food was overcooked and cold, the server took forever to appear to take my order, and I didn't see them again until I got the check (another server delivered my food, no one checked to see if I needed a drink refill or if the food was OK). If I had only had one experience or the other, I would have said Le Cellier was either perfectly fantastic or absolutely horrible. But having both experiences in the same vacation (the good one first) I knew it wasn't always bad and I've only had good meals there since.

I have had risotto many times, and it has never, ever been "crunchy".
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.