Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

I just did an experiment with the laundry detergent "pods"

Bought some at Target this morning for our upcoming cruise.

I took the kids out on the back porch to conduct and informal experiment on how well they would stand up to pressure/being thrown around, etc. since so many are afraid they will break in their suitcases.

I had my ~25 pound 20 month old stand on it, no problems.
Then I had my ~35 pound 4 year old stand on the same one, no problems.

THEN I took the same one they had both stood on and squeezed it with all my might and it stretched but didn't pop. Threw it against the brick wall and it was fine.

FINALLY I braved it. I, an approximately 150 pound female, stood on it with all my weight on one foot. And it's still sealed and not leaking.

So I think it's safe to say that you can pack these in your checked luggage in a ziplock baggie and feel fine unless there's something in there to puncture it, which I have not yet tested.

By the way, I'm an Industrial Engineer as is my husband. We have a series of formal experiments designed with various factors set as controls if you would like us to try to burst one with force.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the data. I was going to buy a couple of these for our trip next May.

We have used the all-in-one sheets but I also have noticed some oily spots on my shirts so I'm not going to use them any more.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
Thanks for the data. I was going to buy a couple of these for our trip next May.

We have used the all-in-one sheets but I also have noticed some oily spots on my shirts so I'm not going to use them any more.
I loved the all-in-one sheets but I ran out and they're not being made anymore (although you can still find them on Amazon if anyone is looking) and decided to pick these up. They're the same detergent I usually use so I know it won't irritate my family's skin.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Hated the all in one sheets but love the pods. When I took them on my last cruise, I put them in one of those little plastic bar soap holders you find in the travel aisle at Target or Walmart. Worked like a charm.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Very funny! We've traveled several times now with Tide Pods. I pack as many as possible in a small'ish tupperware-type container and have no worries when tossed into my luggage.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Used the pods this past cruise in September. They worked great. Be sure you read the directions. They should not be put in the dispenser tray. Just lay on top of your laundry, like the directions say. No problems with a whole bag of them in our luggage at all. Used bounce sheets in the dryer. Not as good as Downy, but they worked fine.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Hated the all in one sheets but love the pods. When I took them on my last cruise, I put them in one of those little plastic bar soap holders you find in the travel aisle at Target or Walmart. Worked like a charm.
What a fantastic idea!!

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

But be sure & put them in something sealable & waterproof. If they get the least little bit wet, they dissolve almost immediately. If something from someone else's suitcase broke & got yours wet, you'd not only have to worry about the wet, but detergent all over your stuff, too.

I saw a pretty disturbing report on how kids are putting them in their mouths because they look like candy, and the saliva in their mouths caused them to dissolve in the kids' mouths almost immediately and choke them.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 10-31-2012 at 11:10 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
chateau
DIS Veteran

(As far as to answer original posting, as the one that ended up prior to this, I don't want to say "excellent" to) Excellent. Now I'm seriously considering. Here's the next question.... does the laundry come out with that strong, well known, Tide smell. That's my only appeal to Tide, as (for some unknown reason) our washer gets out stains with many detergents we buy (like grass-coated socks, ketchup, etc.). Please, someone confirm the great Tide smell!!

Last edited by chateau; 10-31-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: order made it sound BAD
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
(As far as to answer original posting, as the one that ended up prior to this, I don't want to say "excellent" to) Excellent. Now I'm seriously considering. Here's the next question.... does the laundry come out with that strong, well known, Tide smell. That's my only appeal to Tide, as (for some unknown reason) our washer gets out stains with many detergents we buy (like grass-coated socks, ketchup, etc.). Please, someone confirm the great Tide smell!!
We use All Free and Clear, so no Tide smell here. But there are plenty of Tide pods, so I'm sure there are some in the laundry aisle for you.

And YES, definitely put them in a ziplock baggie or some other waterproof method of storage like a Tupperware container. They are designed to dissolve when wet, and I agree that you want to keep them dry until you WANT them to dissolve!

And absolutely keep out of reach of children. I didn't let my kids play with it when we were done! In fact, I decided to wash a load with the experimental pod just to see how well they work in my washer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: