Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
That surprises me. I wonder if this panelist actually talked to someone high up enough to give the correct information? January 1st is a national holiday, to think they'd have a construction crew working that day (and probably on double holiday pay) seems questionable. Or maybe I'm just bitter and I want them to be wrong.
Oh that makes such good sense. No one wants to deconstuct a gingerbread house on a holiday and certainly no one would want to see it happening. You could be on to something. I'm going to hang on to that thought.

I ate some of the gingerbread I bought last year and thought it was good. Not as good as it looked - the decorated pieces are just beautiful, almost too pretty to eat.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
Oh that makes such good sense. No one wants to deconstuct a gingerbread house on a holiday and certainly no one would want to see it happening. You could be on to something. I'm going to hang on to that thought.

I ate some of the gingerbread I bought last year and thought it was good. Not as good as it looked - the decorated pieces are just beautiful, almost too pretty to eat.
We checked in on Jan. 1st around the middle of the afternoon and there was a CM passing out bags of gingerbread to everyone in the lobby. They were definitely cleaning out all their stock. So maybe "technically" they closed 12/31 and on 1/1 they were just giving everything away??? I'm not sure. But I highly doubt they'll be taking it apart on a holiday. I've got a buddy who works at the GF, when I get there this weekend I'll try to find out more definitive info.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
I'll bet they are making gingerbread shingles right now. I can only imagine how good that bakery smells.
I always make sure on my trip to enter the second floor on the monorail side; the minute those doors open, you can smell the gingerbread already before you even see the house!

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I always make sure on my trip to enter the second floor on the monorail side; the minute those doors open, you can smell the gingerbread already before you even see the house!
We did just that last December 22. We smelled the gingerbread and heard the bell ringers playing Christmas music and saw the gingerbread house and tree. It was Christmas for all the senses. DH said he could fly down to WDW and sit in the GF lobby for 2 days. It's something special to have the Christmas spirit and the magic of Disney in one beautifully wrapped package.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
nancyc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadara
Ok- sorry to hijack the thread, but since we now know when it comes down, the next questions is when does it go up?
We will be there next week and the 1st MVMCP is also next week. Have always wanted to see it but miss it.
So........what are my chances of it being up- would love to hop off the monorail to take a peek!
Thanks so much!
We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving, the house was up. Hope it works out for you
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Quote:
Or maybe I'm just bitter and I want them to be wrong.
Rejected Mom's Panelist, eh? I like your spirit! What do they know?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
That surprises me. I wonder if this panelist actually talked to someone high up enough to give the correct information? January 1st is a national holiday, to think they'd have a construction crew working that day (and probably on double holiday pay) seems questionable. Or maybe I'm just bitter and I want them to be wrong.
They have lots of employees working on Jan 1, Dec 25 and all the other holidays. What's a few more?

And I have been at the WL when the Christmas tree was up when I went to bed and all the decorations gone when I got up the next morning.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
JennG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyc View Post
We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving, the house was up. Hope it works out for you
Ooohhh! That's when we'll be there!!! Fingers crossed!

x
Sept 2008 Poly/Dec 2008 Poly/Nov 2010 BCV and BLT/Oct-Nov 2011 BWV/Nov 2012 BLT/Aug 2013 BLT/Aug 2014 BLT
JennG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
They have lots of employees working on Jan 1, Dec 25 and all the other holidays. What's a few more?

And I have been at the WL when the Christmas tree was up when I went to bed and all the decorations gone when I got up the next morning.
That would be the elves.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
That would be the elves.
Union elves.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I just had a long talk with someone at the GF, back of house, and she said "technically" it is always set to close 12/31 along with all other Holiday themed events with exception to the Osborne Lights. That is Disney's blanket statement to all inquires about the holidays. She did "unofficially" agree with me that it most likely will still be there 1/1 as it was last year. Now we all know Disney has "elves" working long hours, often overnight, to transform areas quickly. We watched them take down the GF tree after midnight on January 3rd last year. Which was pretty awesome I must say! It's too bad they can't use those elves to turn off the Christmas music in the parks! Isn't that just a big switch somewhere???
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: