Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family
hurricane season starts in july (and goes through november).
Actually, it begins June 1st & ends Nov 30th.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 10-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Actually, it begins June 1st & ends Nov 1st.

thanks for the correction!!
even makes my point stronger that she's going to have a tough time avoiding hurricane season by moving to july/august!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Coming from someone who lives in hurricane country - late July and august are when hurricanes really get going -you are much better off keeping your October date.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEeyore
Hello Everyone!

Since last night I have been completely consumed by the news of the Fantasy going through a very rough night at sea on Friday.

To be completely honest, it has put a lot of fear in me about the cruise I have booked for early next October (we also didn't purchase cruise insurance because we are relatively new to this process..and after reading the threads I now feel very foolish about that . But hey, that's what the boards are for right!?)

I have a lot of faith in Disney and their decisions, and I am sure there is much more that went into their choice to head back to port on Friday than we all know. However, I know that from the videos I've watched and what I have been reading that I would have been scared out of my mind and probably would never cruise again if I experienced that adventure on Friday. I would like to try to avoid having the cruise experience become one that surfaces fear in me.

I tried to go to the Disney Cruise Line website to see what I can do about possibly changing my cruising date, and If that is out of the option than at least acquiring cruise insurance. If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price.

I would appreciate any advice or wisdom on switching cruise dates, acquiring cruise insurance or more information on traveling during hurricane season. I would normally try to look for myself on the site, but I always value the information I get on the boards and since the site is currently down I thought I would ask you! Thanks!
I live on the gulf coast and we start holding our breath around middle August thru September, and breathe much easier after the 1st week of October. IMO, you are more likely to get a hurricane during that time.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Greatfalls
Mouseketeer

Personally, I consider travel insurance a waste of money. This past week illustrates why. Insurance would not have applied at all. It only kicks in if there is a full cancellation of the cruise or if the airports shut down and you can't get there. Neither happened this week, nor did they happen last August during Irene.
Greatfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEeyore
tried to go to the Disney Cruise Line website to see what I can do about possibly changing my cruising date, and If that is out of the option than at least acquiring cruise insurance. If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price.
Good luck at getting a similar price other than on opening day. We are booked in Oct 2013 & looked before all of this Sandy nonsense at prices in Aug in order to keep DD from missing school & being able to take 3 cruises in 2013 (Mar-Aug-Dec) instead of the 2 we have scheduled (Mar & Oct). The Aug cruises before school starts are $1,000 more for an inside stateroom, $2,000 for an ocean view, and $2,500+ more for a verandah (and I want a verandah) than the cost of our Oct 2013 cruise and that is WITH the 10% off on board booking benefit. So, as far as prices go right now at this moment, July & Aug 2013 are going to be much more costly than Oct. 2013. You can always take a gamble & wait to see of the *GT rates get released much closer to sailing, but that could screw you if you count on those fares & they are never offered.

Keep your Oct cruise & get trip insurance.

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatfalls View Post
Personally, I consider travel insurance a waste of money. This past week illustrates why. Insurance would not have applied at all. It only kicks in if there is a full cancellation of the cruise or if the airports shut down and you can't get there. Neither happened this week, nor did they happen last August during Irene.
That is not the only thing travel insurance covers.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

With 8 cruises completed, 7 of which were either September or October (the dreaded Hurricane Season), and honestly we had no issues. Our latest was a 4 day on the Dream just last week, we just beat Hurricane Sandy back to port, we couldn't have been more lucky . We had a 7 day in April, a few years back, that actually had rougher seas that our Fall cruises.
Hey it's the weather you just never know.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Trekker
I've gone to find myself,
if I get back before I return,
make me stay here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
We had a 7 day in April, a few years back, that actually had rougher seas that our Fall cruises.
Hey it's the weather you just never know.

Our very first cruise was in April and we encountered 1.5 days of 25 foot seas - so as you said - it is weather - no one can actually predict the weather - and it does not only affect cruises in the fall.

I'm sorry folks had a horrible time - it just stinks to plan and get excited and then have something like this happen.

Trekker is Ron from Dreams Unlimited Travel

Questions? Email me at ron@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Last edited by Trekker; 10-30-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: sp?
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
zellda
Mouseketeer

While official hurricane season is June 1 to November 30, hurricanes have occurred in May and December as well. That would only leave you 4 months, Jan to April, to cruise being relatively sure to miss a hurricane, but still not guaranteeing good weather. Not many options with those restrictions, and the water is colder. If you are thinking about a Caribbean cruise, I suggest you check out this site. It has a lot of info about the weather in the Caribbean and where and when to go to avoid the bad stuff. BTW, DCL doesn't sail regularly to the safest weather locations (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). Interesting site:

http://www.world-weather-travellers-...n-weather.html
Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is not accurate. Insurance will also cover hotels for those who missed their flights due to getting in late, hotels for those who's ship did not come n to port on time (many other cruise ships did stay out an extra day), help make flight arrangements, cover flight change fees, pay out a per-diam, and much more. Cancellation insurance would not have applied in this situation but it can be used for much more than that.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
This is not accurate. Insurance will also cover hotels for those who missed their flights due to getting in late, hotels for those who's ship did not come n to port on time (many other cruise ships did stay out an extra day), help make flight arrangements, cover flight change fees, pay out a per-diam, and much more. Cancellation insurance would not have applied in this situation but it can be used for much more than that.
When I realized my parents return on the Fantasy was going to be delayed by several hours, the first thing I did was review their travel insurance policy. After that I looked at availability for alternative flights and at the Hyatt MCO.

When I was able to talk to my Mom, we were able to map out a plan B that would involve an overnight at the Hyatt. With insurance, it was nice to not have to be concerned about pinching pennies by staying some where else near the airport. They made their flight at 1:50, so we never had to use the Plan B. - Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #28
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That travel insurance would have come in real handy if anyone had been hurt on the ship and required medical treatment onboard, on shore, or heaven forbid an evacuation. Covers flights missed due to delays. How about damaged or missing luggage (it was the last night of the cruise and the bags were packed and in the halls), I find that important as well. Let's see, there's also coverage for additional hotel stays in the event you get trapped in a port city due to a hurricane. I could go on all day.

You may consider travel insurance a waste of money. Most experienced travelers wouldn't travel without it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: