Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #1111
jcammans
Earning My Ears

Disneymoon Report

Hi all!

My husband and I just returned from our Disneymoon stay at POFQ. We had a great time!! This was my first stay at POFQ and my husband's first trip ever to WDW!

POFQ was great! We loved the small size of the resort - especially after a full day in the parks it was nice to return to POFQ and not have to walk another mile to our room... We stayed in room 5326 - corner room, river view, king bed, very quiet. FYI - there is only one outlet right next to the bed in a king room (behind the only nightstand). Bring an extension cord if you both like to read from electronic devices while resting in bed. Also, the wifi is a bit slow, but definitely usable.

Food - We didn't eat too much at the Floatworks, but what we did have was very good. We unfortunately had a few rude CMs there, but most of them were polite enough. For the most part, we ate elsewhere.

Transportation - During peak times in the morning we always had our own bus to the parks. During midday, with the exception of MK, we always shared a bus with POR. On return trips, we almost always had a dedicated bus to POFQ. Most of the time, we waited less than 10 minutes for a bus. The only exception to this was our return from AK. We waited 25 min for a bus, and then when it finally did come, we stopped at BB and then POR before we arrived at POFQ. That was a long trip home... Other than that, we experienced no problems with bus trips from POFQ. For the most part, we boarded the bus to/from POFQ and arrived at our destination within 30 min. The boat to DD was also frequent and quick.

Pool - We didn't use the pool even though we completely intended to one day. However, we found the water to be too chilly. The hot tub was also very hot, but it made us feel soooo much better after a long day of walking.

Room - The room (5326) was a corner room, river view, king bed. It was very nice, quiet and clean. I believe that they could do a little better with the lighting in the room - it seemed darker then necessary. Mousekeeping was good. We tipped $4/day and received 3 towel animals during our 9 day stay (including the Mickey ears the first day). I found the sheets/blankets a little too rough and the bed a little too hard for my liking, but take that with a grain of salt - I'm picky about that stuff.

Elliot Dyson - We caught his show a couple of nights while we were there - he was very entertaining!!! We really enjoyed it!

All in all, we had a great stay at POFQ and we will definitely stay there again!

Walt Disney World - 4 trips (1983, 1987, 1995, 2000) - Offsite, Poly
Disneyland - 1 trip (1991)
Disneymoon - October 2012 - POFQ (Hubby's 1st visit!)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #1112
kddisney502
P: What's the problem with Goofy?
L: Wish I knew, he's fine with Pluto.

Faxing in room request?

How important is it to fax in my room requests? I called months ago and had them put on my reservation. We're arriving next week and our only request was to be close to the bus stop. This is our first time staying at this resort, but we've been to disney before. Would like to hear some opinions. Thanks.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #1113
DisneyExpert89
Earning My Ears

I used to work there, if anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to accommodate some answers. I worked in Housekeeping back in 2008 for the College Program.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #1114
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddisney502 View Post
How important is it to fax in my room requests? I called months ago and had them put on my reservation. We're arriving next week and our only request was to be close to the bus stop.
It's personal choice - but if you are particularly concerned about getting your request met, what harm can it do?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1115
Clochette nordique
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyExpert89 View Post
I used to work there, if anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to accommodate some answers. I worked in Housekeeping back in 2008 for the College Program.
Thanks for the offer. As soon as I have a question, I'll ask and with all the team on this thread, now including you, I will trust the answer.

to you!

Poussière de fée!

sniff, sniff, no ticker! .... oops, just for now, since DH asked me when I would go back.........

DLParis - Août 2017 ; DCL-Magic Greece - Août 2017
WDW-POR - Novembre 2013 ; DCL-Fantasy Western Caribbean - Novembre 2013
DL-Paradise Pier - Février 2012 ; DCL-Wonder Mexican Riviera - Février 2012
WDW-Poly - Mai 2011 ; DCL-Dream Bahamas - Mai 2011
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #1116
eeyorefan107
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyExpert89
I do have a question. I'm staying at POFQ and have booked a 2Q wheelchair access room with roll-in shower. Are those rooms large enough for my ecv to be in the room at night? Also, does the shower head come off the wall? I have severe arthritis, and a detachable shower head makes things easier for me. Thanks in advance. =)

Counting down the days until our next Disney Trip!!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #1117
DisneyExpert89
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorefan107

I do have a question. I'm staying at POFQ and have booked a 2Q wheelchair access room with roll-in shower. Are those rooms large enough for my ecv to be in the room at night? Also, does the shower head come off the wall? I have severe arthritis, and a detachable shower head makes things easier for me. Thanks in advance. =)
Yes, there was enough room for an ecv. And if I do remember correctly the shower head did come off the wall. I only had a handful of handicapped rooms, I was usually on the 3rd floor, but covered both on rare occasions. Hope this helps!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #1118
eeyorefan107
Mouseketeer

Smile

Thank you so much for answering my question. I really appreciate it. We stayed at Pop last January, and I had to park my ecv outside of the room each night and run the charger under the door. I swore to myself that I would never have to go through that again.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #1119
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcammans View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I just returned from our Disneymoon stay at POFQ. We had a great time!! This was my first stay at POFQ and my husband's first trip ever to WDW!

POFQ was great! We loved the small size of the resort - especially after a full day in the parks it was nice to return to POFQ and not have to walk another mile to our room... We stayed in room 5326 - corner room, river view, king bed, very quiet. FYI - there is only one outlet right next to the bed in a king room (behind the only nightstand). Bring an extension cord if you both like to read from electronic devices while resting in bed. Also, the wifi is a bit slow, but definitely usable.

Food - We didn't eat too much at the Floatworks, but what we did have was very good. We unfortunately had a few rude CMs there, but most of them were polite enough. For the most part, we ate elsewhere.

Transportation - During peak times in the morning we always had our own bus to the parks. During midday, with the exception of MK, we always shared a bus with POR. On return trips, we almost always had a dedicated bus to POFQ. Most of the time, we waited less than 10 minutes for a bus. The only exception to this was our return from AK. We waited 25 min for a bus, and then when it finally did come, we stopped at BB and then POR before we arrived at POFQ. That was a long trip home... Other than that, we experienced no problems with bus trips from POFQ. For the most part, we boarded the bus to/from POFQ and arrived at our destination within 30 min. The boat to DD was also frequent and quick.

Pool - We didn't use the pool even though we completely intended to one day. However, we found the water to be too chilly. The hot tub was also very hot, but it made us feel soooo much better after a long day of walking.

Room - The room (5326) was a corner room, river view, king bed. It was very nice, quiet and clean. I believe that they could do a little better with the lighting in the room - it seemed darker then necessary. Mousekeeping was good. We tipped $4/day and received 3 towel animals during our 9 day stay (including the Mickey ears the first day). I found the sheets/blankets a little too rough and the bed a little too hard for my liking, but take that with a grain of salt - I'm picky about that stuff.

Elliot Dyson - We caught his show a couple of nights while we were there - he was very entertaining!!! We really enjoyed it!

All in all, we had a great stay at POFQ and we will definitely stay there again!
Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed POFQ. Congrats on your marriage.
We have stayed at POR Riverside 3 times, and trying FQ for the first time in January. Looking forward to our stay. And we want to catch Elliot's show. We love Bob Jackson's show at POR. I wish more of the wdw resorts had this type of entertainment.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1120
gr8tdame
Enchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed POFQ. Congrats on your marriage.
We have stayed at POR Riverside 3 times, and trying FQ for the first time in January. Looking forward to our stay. And we want to catch Elliot's show. We love Bob Jackson's show at POR. I wish more of the wdw resorts had this type of entertainment.
We are also staying at POFQ for the first time in January. For the last four years we have stayed at POR. My dh and I caught Elliot's show a couple of years ago and it was great. We are looking forward to seeing him again.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Nov1-15 2014 CBR, Jan 2-14 2013 POFQ, Jan 7 - Jan 17 2012 POR, Sept 28- Oct 5 2011 POR, Sept 18 -Oct 2.2010POR,Sept 18-Oct 3 2009 GF and POR,:Sept 20 -Oct 4,2008 POR ,2007 CSR,2004 GF, 2002 Hard rock,2000 POLY,1999 DTD,1998 GF, 1997 DTD, 1995 ASMU and off site,1990 GF,1989 POLY,1987 CR,1985 GF,1977 offsite,1976 offsite
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #1121
gr8tdame
Enchanted

Oops! I miscounted, the last 5 years at POR. Can't believe it's been so many years.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Nov1-15 2014 CBR, Jan 2-14 2013 POFQ, Jan 7 - Jan 17 2012 POR, Sept 28- Oct 5 2011 POR, Sept 18 -Oct 2.2010POR,Sept 18-Oct 3 2009 GF and POR,:Sept 20 -Oct 4,2008 POR ,2007 CSR,2004 GF, 2002 Hard rock,2000 POLY,1999 DTD,1998 GF, 1997 DTD, 1995 ASMU and off site,1990 GF,1989 POLY,1987 CR,1985 GF,1977 offsite,1976 offsite
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #1122
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

Mini-review of POFQ

We got back on Friday from 2 weeks at POFQ (from the UK) and here is my impressions of our first stay at this resort...

POFQ vs POR

We stayed at POR last time (2 years ago) - the resorts are obviously quite similar and share some facilities. Overall I think I prefer POFQ for a few reasons:
(i) the buses - the buses from the Parks are often shared between the two resorts and last time we often went to POFQ first and then around all the POR bus stops! This time we were the other way around - every time except once we went to POFQ first - no messing and much quicker. Also, in the morning, we either had a bus just for POFQ or had one that had already picked up from POR and then came to our resort and then straight to the Park. We only once waited more than about 10 mins for a bus (about 30 mins for AK) at both ends of the day!
(ii) I slightly preferred the theming at POFQ but not a lot in it (personal choice - they are both very nice)
(iii) A more compact resort - everything in easy reach
The food court at POR probably edges it although I was pleasantly surprised at POFQ which had some items that POR didn't, which take me to...

Food Court

We had free QSDP: the amout of food on offer was ridiculous with 2 big portion meals a day (including desserts) and 2 snacks a day - maybe this is a U.S. thing? We enjoyed the food court and every meal we had from there was good, and there is a surprising amount of choice - I rarely had the same meal twice (and even then only by choice) and the staff were great. We always got a table straightaway although I could imagine this might be different at a peak time of year. The only strange thing was getting milk for our cup of tea where we had to ask one of the CM's to get it out of their fridge which was a bit annoying (last time at POR they just told us to help ourselves out of the guest fridges - the mini cartons). The POR food court is also only a short walk away which offers some different choices

Room

Initially I was a bit frustrated because I had requested a room in block 5 or 6 near the food court, etc (via my travel agent plus followed up with a call to the resort a few days before arrival) but this seemed to have been disregarded and we were put in Block 1 which was the furthest away from the main building! I didn't say anything as we were too tired from a 9 hour flight and transfers! In the event, it was Ok as the resort is so compact. The exact same thing happended last time at POR by the way, where we weren't even put in the same section (i.e. mansions as opposed to my Alligator Bayou request!). Not sure where I am going wrong here! Anyway the room was fine, virtually identical to POR rooms - just big enough for our family of 4 and nicely decorated. All the facilities we needed were there. My wife and kids were a bit disappointed that we didn't get any towel animals a they saw them in lots of windows on the ground floor on the way back to the room each night (we were on the top floor) and my wife had read many Trip Advisor reviews which mentioned them (!). This was despite us leaving a $5 tip everyday so I suspect maybe our Mousekeeper just didn't know how to do them (I understand that it is an optional course - maybe Disney should make it mandatory to make this more consistent like on the Cruiseline?)

Pool

Nicely themed and a nice pool overall - the slide was a bit lame (probably not aimed at adults though!). Plenty of places to sit and the Spa is a nice extra. there is also a pool bar.

Transportation

Buses were excellent - see top section. The Boat to and from Downtown Disney is an excellent bonus to this resort (also POR) and is quicker and nicer than the bus - an enjoyable jouney in itself.

Other

I recommend people walk to POR at least once, both for a change of scene on the food and also to experience "Yeehah" Bob Jackson in the POR lounge - a great performer!

That's it, ended up being longer than I thought!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #1123
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
I had requested a room in block 5 or 6 near the food court, etc (via my travel agent plus followed up with a call to the resort a few days before arrival) ... Not sure where I am going wrong here!
Glad you had a good time, and thanks for the review. It's best to FAX rather than phone the resort a few days before you arrive (see www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php) as the incoming phone lines are answered by an offsite central switchboard who can only access the computer reservation screen to add a request, nothing more. You need to specifically ask to even be put through to someone physically at the resort.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1124
wdw71
DIS Veteran

Faxing Resort

I do not think the resorts accept faxes for room requests any longer. I heard this on a podcast (The Dis or wdw today) over the last year. I have always just made my room requests at the time of my reservation and gone over them with the CM at checkin. We have always had our requests granted.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #1125
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw71
I do not think the resorts accept faxes for room requests any longer. I heard this on a podcast (The Dis or wdw today) over the last year. I have always just made my room requests at the time of my reservation and gone over them with the CM at checkin. We have always had our requests granted.
That is correct.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: