Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
AnastasiaF
Earning My Ears

It was just small pieces of shoe leather, i mean pork, on a skewer with some sort of sauce. The pork showed up at the same time as dessert.
AnastasiaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaF View Post
It was just small pieces of shoe leather, i mean pork, on a skewer with some sort of sauce. The pork showed up at the same time as dessert.
shoe leather!

whats the matter, you dont like pork with your dessert??

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

A Bit more. I personally never meant to describe 'Ohana as a 'signature' quality restaurant ever. But it was in the past, a fun, quality Polynesian inspired dining experience that served quality grilled food (that was, btw, never loved by everybody).

But now they aren't even trying.

At one time they offered 5 skewers (the fifth was sausage). The shrimp was spicier and much larger and turkey was smoked. The appitizers came on a tray with five items. The potstickers were originally made with shrimp.

The atmosphere was always 100 percent Polynesian, to the point of being hokey - but hokey was always part of what Disney did best. Every CM, even those that weren't of Polynesian decent seemed schooled on Polynesian tradition and NEVER, EVER went out of character.

Disney just isn't trying anymore and 'Ohana is good proof.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

We went to Ohana for the first time this past September. DH loved it, I was not as impressed.

Service:
Really good actually. Our server was definitely of Polynesian decent and he was friendly, fun and attentive. Food came out in a timely manner and drinks were always full. The restaurant was packed to the gills. To be honest...can the coconut races. I really didn't need the endless string of crabby children parading past my table, bumping into us. It was disurptive. They should do it in the lobby or something. We only waited about 15 minutes for our table.

Food:
Well...there was certainly a LOT of it. It was all hot and fresh. We were seated right by the meat cooking pit and it was always moving. HOWEVER, the flavors did not appeal to me at all. The meat was all on the tough side, and whatever they marinated the meat in was sweet and not to my liking at all. Didn't love all the sauces, but the peanut one was okay. The same for the noodles. Too sweet. Blech. Some people may like that flavor (DH did) so this may not be a problem. I love potstickers but the ones here were just okay. The broccoli was about as boring as could be. The bread pudding could've been warmer, but it was just okay regardless. Didn't love that sweet bread that came with the meal. Sweet, IMO, is for dessert, not the entree.

Overall, we don't plan to hit this place again unless the menu gets an overhaul. Keep in mind I had no problem with the service and the food was plentiful and frsh but overall the FLAVOR was not something I enjoyed. The flavor may very well appeal to plenty of other people so dont' discount the restaurant based on my review.

Last edited by Jennasis; 10-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Wow, this thread is shocking to me! Ohana is our favorite and we go each year. I go for the salad dressing and dessert alone! We have been lucky to never have bad service there. My only complaint is the hula lady who I find distracting, though it is great for the kids. Sorry to hear many don't like it, guess that means more room for us!

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
Iadoreeeyore
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
Wow, this thread is shocking to me! Ohana is our favorite and we go each year. I go for the salad dressing and dessert alone! We have been lucky to never have bad service there. My only complaint is the hula lady who I find distracting, though it is great for the kids. Sorry to hear many don't like it, guess that means more room for us!
I agree with you. I have always loved the food here. The last server we had was great and the coconut races kept my little one really entertained! We are heading back to Ohana on December 5th and I for one can't wait!!

Off Property 5/1990, CBR 2/1994, CBR 5/2006 (Disneymoon), Off Property 12/2011 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), DYC 5/2012 (Pop Warner Scholastics Banquet) , Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2012 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2013 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), 2014???

Iadoreeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I agree with you. We've gone for dinner every trip since '93. Some meals have been better than others in regard to food and/or service. I'm not a huge fan of the hula lady either, but I can understand other people liking her. I don't mind how fast the food comes out, though, as I don't eat everything. I'm not a huge fan of the meat (other than the shrimp), but mostly eat the pot stickers, noodles, and dessert.

I think we mainly eat here for nostalgia and because it's a place we can all have something we enjoy eating (even if it's not everything). It seems like when we go to buffets, we're all up from the table at different times so places like 'Ohana's are nice to have a larger selection of food brought directly to us.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #23
susieh
Mouseketeer

We're planning on going with friends (total of 11 of us) in June or August 2014. The 9 friends have never been to Disney and are saving hard for a trip of a lifetime.

We've been telling them how great Ohana is and planned to book it as a special treat but after reading this thread I think we'll pass.

I now need to find another special meal that is as good as it was over the past few years for our trip. The group will be Nanna and Grandad (70 and 68), mum and dad plus 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. mum and dad plus 5 year old son, and the two of us (DVC owners) - family friends (56 and 55).

Any suggestions please?

WDW 1992 ; OKW 1994 ; DL 1996 ; OKW 1997 ; OKW 1998 ; DLP 1999 ; OKW 2001 ; VB 2001 ; HH 2002 ;
OKW 2004 ; OKW 2006 ; BCV 2008 ; OKW Dec 2009 OKW August 2011

OKW August 2014
susieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
We're planning on going with friends (total of 11 of us) in June or August 2014. The 9 friends have never been to Disney and are saving hard for a trip of a lifetime.

We've been telling them how great Ohana is and planned to book it as a special treat but after reading this thread I think we'll pass.

I now need to find another special meal that is as good as it was over the past few years for our trip. The group will be Nanna and Grandad (70 and 68), mum and dad plus 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter. mum and dad plus 5 year old son, and the two of us (DVC owners) - family friends (56 and 55).

Any suggestions please?
Hmmm. Large group. Wide age range. Majority never been to WDW before. Looking for an iconic "special" meal. To me, all signs point to the refurbished California Grill, (assuming that they don't change the food and atmosphere in any material way). I could suggest places with better food. And I could suggest places that are more fun. But when looking for that special combination of food, fun, view and "only-in-WDW" feel, I always end up coming back to the California Grill. Toss in the fireworks from the roof, and it will be a night to remember for any first-time guest.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
DVC Kelly
Mouseketeer

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Now I take the opposite view. I was at O'Hana in September for breakfast and I really enjoyed it. Breakfast is a character experience and I didn't feel rushed at all. We had plenty of time to eat and wait as each of the characters stopped by our table for a visit. As for the quality of food, breakfast was delicious. DH and my in-laws loved the bread while I loved the Mickey waffles. My only complaint would be that the bacon was salty.
Better Business Bureau Accredited: ..BBB

DVC Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should scrap my 'Ohanna ressie and get one for Beirgarten.....thought on Beirgarten anyone?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I wouldnt cancel my 'Ohana ressie for nothing. Great food and service.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

We went last September (2011) and we had a good meal. It wasn't the best in Disney but I liked the flavors and variety. None of us enjoyed everything they brought out but we all loved something.

I personally enjoyed the salad, wings, shrimp, and chicken (or turkey - whichever they were serving then). I didn't care for the beef option or the bread (I hate coconut) and the noodles were just blah. The dips were good. Our food was a little rushed in that they put down the bread and salad and then the wings were there instantly and then the meat started coming right away. But I didn't feel like I had to eat fast like the waitress was pushing me. The waitress was average - not overly friendly but efficient. I would have given it a solid B. I can't really compare pricing because I was on the DP so it was a good value at 1 TS credit.

I'm not sure how it's going to be when we go in January but I'm still willing to give it another try.

My advice for those of you who have never been to 'Ohana but are willing to change your ADR to someplace else because of this thread is to read the reviews and search the Disboards for reviews of the place you are changing the reservation to and you'll find that there are people who hate that restaurant too. And for people on the DDP, 'Ohana is just 1 TS as opposed to CG, Citrico's and Narcoose's.

Look at places outside of the Disboards like Tripadvisor and Yelp as well when deciding your reservations.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should scrap my 'Ohanna ressie and get one for Beirgarten.....thought on Beirgarten anyone?
If I had to pick one for dinner, it would be Biergarten. But lots don't like that you have to possibly share tables with other park guests.
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We were at Ohana a week ago today.

We had great service. The hostess who sat us was friendly and since it was my mom's first time explained how everything went. Our "cousins" were friendly and efficient. I have allergies and the chef I dealt with was great (other than he messed up my dessert and broke my heart)

Our only problem was that we waited a long time for shrimp and that was all DS wanted. There were only 3 left on the skewer so we gave them to DS, and they never brought more around. Oh, and the broccoli was crunchy but no one was going to eat it with all the other stuff around.

We're not foodies (as in California Grill and V&A is probably out for us), but we enjoy a decent filling meal, and everyone with us loved Ohana.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: