Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #1411
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Does any know where the car handicap parking is located at the Swan Resort?

Is it a long walk to the entrance of the Swan Resort entrance?

Is there any difference in the handicap valet parking versus not handicap parking?

Does it cost more and is it different from the resort fee?

I will be driving down by myself, but I will be using my own mobility scooter and Disney transportation.

The reason that I am asking is, I am trying to decide if I should drop off my luggage at the Swan Resort entrance and then park my car. Then I would remove and assemble my mobility scooter and go back to pick up my luggage to checkin.

Or I could use the valet parking and unload everything at the Swan Resort entrance.

This might be a good option if I had to use the car again to do something outside disney like go to the store. But then I wonder if leaving my mobility scooter at the parking space would be safe. It is just too difficult for me to assemble and disassemble my mobility scooter everytime that I move my car.

Any thoughts. Thank you in advance.

I am so excited to be staying at the Swan Resort for my first time. I usually stay at the Dolphin Resort. So this will be a new experience for me.

I am also excited about eating breakfast at the Swan Resort Grove Garden for the first time whenever I want breakfast if I wake up early. I am usually a night person by nature and like to see the Christmas lights at night around Walt Disney World.

I am just trying make out my budget plans for my trip.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1412
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyA View Post
We just returned from our first stay at the Dolphin. Thanks to everyone who posts on this thread. The information here helped a great deal. We had a wonderful stay - peaceful, pool was great. The swan/dolphin is really the perfect choice if you're visiting for F & W Festival or F & W classic. Nothing beats being able to "walk home" after these events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOT is a verb View Post
Awesome! We will be there SOON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyge View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great information. DH and I arrive for our first trip to the Dolphin this Saturday. We'll be there for a few days celebrating our anniversary. We've stayed at the BW once. The prices were better this time for the Dolphin.

I am soooooo excited!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie832 View Post
We just checked in at the Dolphin at midnight last night. Check-in couldn't have been easier, and our front desk clerk and bellman were super nice. We have a king deluxe corner room with 2 balconies! So awesome! Wish we were staying longer than 5 nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
Just made a ressie for our first SWW! Dolphin was booked, so we'll be making our first stay at the Swan. I'd eventually like to stay at every resort, so I guess this is another step toward that!

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #1413
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I am not sure about handicap parking rules, Ray. I do not recall a separate area, unless it is valet. The walk from the regular lot (actually valet too) is maybe a half block to a block, depending on where in the lot. If there is a fee, it is not covered by the resort fee.

Here are rates if you have to pay.

http://swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #1414
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I am not sure about handicap parking rules, Ray. I do not recall a separate area, unless it is valet. The walk from the regular lot (actually valet too) is maybe a half block to a block, depending on where in the lot. If there is a fee, it is not covered by the resort fee.

Here are rates if you have to pay.

http://swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html
Thanks for the information, Dan. I am counting down the days. I can't wait to see you again.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #1415
Flews
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySharpton View Post
Thanks for the information, Dan. I am counting down the days. I can't wait to see you again.
The S/D has an excellent online Concierge service. Especially for getting answers to questions not otherwise readily available. All you need to do is sign up for it on their homepage, and ask away. They also take special requests.

Cheers,
Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #1416
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flews View Post
The S/D has an excellent online Concierge service. Especially for getting answers to questions not otherwise readily available. All you need to do is sign up for it on their homepage, and ask away. They also take special requests.

Cheers,
This is excellent advice! We used them for an issue concerning our room at the Dolphin earlier this month and got the answer we needed in a timely manner. I had actually forgotten about this until you mentioned it, Flews!

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1417
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flews View Post

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
This is excellent advice! We used them for an issue concerning our room at the Dolphin earlier this month and got the answer we needed in a timely manner. I had actually forgotten about this until you mentioned it, Flews!
http://www.swandolphinconcierge.com/public/login.cfm

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1418
sophie832
Addicted to DL and WDW!

Our stay is sadly over and we're heading home today. Overall, we had a fantastic time. The room was very clean and we loved the heavenly beds. No bad smells in the hallway or anywhere else. DH spent some time in the pool and he thought it was great. The water was a bit cold, though. Ate at Picabu a couple of times...food was not bad, and the AAA discount is nice. Loved the ice cream at Fountain, too.

We did their "green" program and went without housekeeping. That was much better for us, saved us $ on tips, and we got Starpoints for it. Great idea...wish more hotels did that.

Only a couple of complaints: when you ask for a taxi, they bring up a town car. I know that sounds nice, but it's twice the price of a taxi, and they don't tell you that. Also, we could definitely hear the leaf blowers from the gardeners early in the morning...that probably only happens if you have a balcony, though.

We didn't have any other issues, and we would stay again in a heartbeat.
January 2011 Dining Review!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #1419
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and have been looking over the Dolphin for a possible family vacation for 9/2013. I've read over all 95 pages of this post before I asked questions! You guys are a wealth of knowledge & I have learned a lot. The trip would be 7 adults & 2 toddlers in 4rooms My DH & I stayed at YC this past feb 2012 and BC Feb/March 2011. We love EPCOT& the surrounding area & being able to walk/take boats, but I know that everyone staying at YC/BC is outside everyone's budget. So I thought Dolphin may be a
great alternative.

What I wondered is about the teacher/RN discounts that are offered. I saw the link to the teacher discount that was posted & saw that school support staff was included. My question is that also offered for the RN discount as I'm a hospital social worker as support staff? Does anyone have the link for RN discount to read this?

DH likes to drive to FL, but I think other family will be flying. I wondered how it works for the toddlers in car seats? Do town car company's supply this or do you have to bring your own car seats via the plane?

Thanks your answers in advance! I'm sure I will have more!

Thank You,
Angie
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #1420
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Welcome to the dis, Angie.

You will all love the resort.

Here is the nurses' link.

http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/nurses/index.html

Not sure about your car seat question.

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #1421
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
My question is that also offered for the RN discount as I'm a hospital social worker as support staff?
I stayed at the Swan this past June on a nurse's discount. I can't say for sure that social workers or other support staff are not included, but I had to show my RN license, which makes me think it may just be for nurses. You should probably call the hotel to ask that question to be sure.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #1422
hoglund
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I never hear anything in the hotel room at all. I do hear (and enjoy) hearing the toots from the Friendships outside on the waterway. Not too loud though, just right. If in your room when Illuminations goes off, you can hear (and feel) the louder, more powerful blasts. Again, not terribly loud though. I think you can hear both the boats and Illuminations throughout the Epcot resort area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79 View Post
Here now and we're having a great time on our F & W trip. Although you can see some wear and tear, I still think it's a beautiful hotel with comfortable rooms. We have had no complaints.

It is pretty quiet, especially compared to some Disney resorts and hotels we've stayed at in the past. I can hear the horns of the friendship boats, but as another poster said it's kind of nice and not at all loud.

It pays to be a Starwood Preferred Plus and doesn't take much extra effort (AAA attached to Starwood Preferred membership). We got an upgrade to resort view and it's very pretty to look out the windows.

The pool looks beautiful- no algae problems anymore. We haven't had time to swim, though for us Floridians, the water feels a bit cold anyway.

F & W was great. There were some people that looked like they had been drinking, but no "frat party" feel that I noticed. We didn't stay long in the evening only because it was so crowded and our kids were very tired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
It depends on who is staying around you. We stayed during a huge dance competition, and it was so loud! Stomping and running down the hallways at all hours, banging doors, screaming, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
We've found the Swan to be much quieter than the Dolphin. There's something about those loooong hallways at the Dolphin that seems to inspire children to run down them, screaming, at all hours of the day and night!

As far as the rooms themselves go, we've never had an issue with loud neighbors, but have heard their showers running, on occasion.
Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #1423
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Thanks Dan & Patty57 for your quick response!

FYI- I called the Dolphin & they stated that while the teacher rate applies for support staff of schools also, the RN rate is only for RN's & not support staff of hospitals ie Social Workers like me. The operator stated the RN's must show RN ID's. The operator stated they get this call a lot about hospital staff. A little disappointed that this is how it works, but I do have AAA.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #1424
franc
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad that I found the thread, there is some fantastic info on here. I'm going to book to stay here for the first two nights of our holiday, but am having trouble deciding between the two hotels.

The Swan looks great because it has the bigger beds, which would be great as we are two adults and two teenagers in the room.

The Dolphin looks great as there seems to be more restaurant choice and it looks nearer to the pools on the map.

Do you think that one would be more suitable for us than the other, or are they so close that it will make no difference?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #1425
GC&S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
I'm so glad that I found the thread, there is some fantastic info on here. I'm going to book to stay here for the first two nights of our holiday, but am having trouble deciding between the two hotels.

The Swan looks great because it has the bigger beds, which would be great as we are two adults and two teenagers in the room.

The Dolphin looks great as there seems to be more restaurant choice and it looks nearer to the pools on the map.

Do you think that one would be more suitable for us than the other, or are they so close that it will make no difference?
We stayed at the Swan for the first time a few weeks ago. We went to the Dolphin several times to eat and get milk. I don't think there's that much difference between the walk to the pool. Depends on what end of the pool or which lap pool you want to be in. It's not a long walk between the Swan and Dolphin so you would probably be happy with either. Since I dont know what the beds are like at the D - I can't compare those or room size. We had a standard size room and for the 3 of us it worked well.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: