Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Karen how many points do you have and when did you buy them?
BLT 160 points (disney direct)bought sept 2010
Vero beach 60 (resale timeshare store) bought feb 2012

I will use 180 points for my AKL/BWV stay in sept 2013..using uy 2013,2014,2015.....180 in total

that leaves me 160 BLT for 2014....
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Tashinwdw
Holidays at WDW - closest I will ever get to being a Princess

As of last night we had decided to buy a small amount resale (dipping our toes in) and try and rent some points for our september trip. Depending on how that goes we may purchase more from disney or keep buying resale. This of course could all change within the next 24 hours, and of course it depends on if any points become available. We only want to buy points from either BW, BC maybe BLT as DH wants a resort that is walking distance to at least one of the parks. Are any of the other resorts in walking distance?

Disneyland & WDW 1996 WDW at Boardwalk 2012
2014 WDW, DCL and Disneyland YAY! Fingers crossed that a DCL Alaska cruise is on the horizon
Tashinwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashinwdw View Post
As of last night we had decided to buy a small amount resale (dipping our toes in) and try and rent some points for our september trip. Depending on how that goes we may purchase more from disney or keep buying resale. This of course could all change within the next 24 hours, and of course it depends on if any points become available. We only want to buy points from either BW, BC maybe BLT as DH wants a resort that is walking distance to at least one of the parks. Are any of the other resorts in walking distance?
Wow how exciting for you!! By the way, how old are your children Tash?
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
battymum
DIS Veteran

Did you have a two bedroom for your last trip?
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
ColinA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are any of the other resorts in walking distance?

No. Only bus or boat.
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

awesome news.....and your going to have hours of enjoyment trying to work out the most bang for your points.....

i can totally recommend timeshare store...very professional and easy to work with..just make sure you have access to a scanner/email, and its a bank transfer, not credit card for the purchase...i tried to use my credit card for the balance to get more FF points but it had to be via bank wire transfer...

if you do see a point sale you want, dont hesitate as they go really fast..contact them, tell them what you are looking for and they will keep an eye out...sign up for timeshare store notifications
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Tashinwdw

AustralianKaren I have signed up at 3 different places for newsletters, hopefully we wont have to wait long, am calling disney tomorrow to see if they will answer a few questions for me.

Battymum we had a 2 bedroom villa and it was heaven. Don't know if I could go smaller with all six of us. It was good to have different areas for those that wanted to rest and those that didnt.

Travel Mum my kids are DD13 DD12 DS11 and DS9. good age as they can be a little independent.

2014 WDW, DCL and Disneyland YAY! Fingers crossed that a DCL Alaska cruise is on the horizon
Old 10-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
australiankaren

Quote:
AustralianKaren I have signed up at 3 different places for newsletters, hopefully we wont have to wait long, am calling disney tomorrow to see if they will answer a few questions for me.

Battymum we had a 2 bedroom villa and it was heaven. Don't know if I could go smaller with all six of us. It was good to have different areas for those that wanted to rest and those that didnt.

Travel Mum my kids are DD13 DD12 DS11 and DS9. good age as they can be a little independent.
hey, looking at your family age etc.....and if you dont really want to cook during your stay, 2 studios may be the way for you..each sleep 4, have quite a good studio type kitchen and also may save you a bit on the points....
a 1 bedder can only sleep 5 and the 2 bedder points are crazy......

ie BLT studio 7 nights is between 102 and 139 depending on view, 2 bedder is between 273 and 366

so for example...
2 x studios =204(standard), 246 (lake view), 278 points (theme park)
1 x 2 bedder =273 (standard) , 296 (lake view), 366 points (theme park)

so 2 studio theme park view rooms will be 88 points less than a 2 bedder, and if you dont mind not cooking a family roast and using the public laundry then thats a great saving.Also lets the kids have a tad of privacy, as you will as well......they will also place you near each other if requested....just a thought to help you get max bang outa you points..and that 88 points will then allow you to stay an extra 2 or 3 nights....
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
Tashinwdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
hey, looking at your family age etc.....and if you dont really want to cook during your stay, 2 studios may be the way for you..each sleep 4, have quite a good studio type kitchen and also may save you a bit on the points....
a 1 bedder can only sleep 5 and the 2 bedder points are crazy......

ie BLT studio 7 nights is between 102 and 139 depending on view, 2 bedder is between 273 and 366

so for example...
2 x studios =204(standard), 246 (lake view), 278 points (theme park)
1 x 2 bedder =273 (standard) , 296 (lake view), 366 points (theme park)

so 2 studio theme park view rooms will be 88 points less than a 2 bedder, and if you dont mind not cooking a family roast and using the public laundry then thats a great saving.Also lets the kids have a tad of privacy, as you will as well......they will also place you near each other if requested....just a thought to help you get max bang outa you points..and that 88 points will then allow you to stay an extra 2 or 3 nights....
Thats some great information, it will come in very handy. I didnt realise there would be such a point difference. It might have to wait a few years as my DS9 is still at the age where he will drive everyone crazy until they crack - actually he has been at this stage for about 9 years

Having the connecting rooms for the 2 bedroom lockup was handy as we could hear him if he was being too silly and one night we had to have him in the loungeroom area away from everyone for him to settle down. I keep telling myself that he will grow out of it but so far no luck.

Will put all this information in my little spreadsheet. Thanks AustralianKaren

Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #25
australiankaren

Remember that the studio has a queen and a pull out, so you could always have ds9 on the pull out with you, and the other ds use the pull out, and the dd's share the queen.......

More than one way to skin a cat....
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 AM   #26
Tashinwdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
Remember that the studio has a queen and a pull out, so you could always have ds9 on the pull out with you, and the other ds use the pull out, and the dd's share the queen.......

More than one way to skin a cat....
Thanks Karen, as much as I would love to not have to share with him it is definitely a cheaper option. We are interested in some points at BWV so will call up the real estate tomorrow and see what we need to doto go ahead. I am sure I will keep everyone posted throughout this dvc buying adventure

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #27
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashinwdw

Thanks Karen, as much as I would love to not have to share with him it is definitely a cheaper option. We are interested in some points at BWV so will call up the real estate tomorrow and see what we need to doto go ahead. I am sure I will keep everyone posted throughout this dvc buying adventure
Awesome...let us know if you need any more advice re points buying etc.......there are few of us here who can help.

Make sure you sign up for timeshare store....
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #28
ColinA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who are the points listed with and how many points are you trying to buy.
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help, we will keep researching. as a large family we will always need (for at least another 10 years) a 2 bedroom, so will look at maybe buying some and then renting off others. As the flight costs are so expensive we want to at least be staying for a min of 2 weeks every time we go. Excel here I come, figure crunching time
If you do manage to draw up an excel sheet, make sure you share it!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
If you do manage to draw up an excel sheet, make sure you share it!
I too would be interested in your excel spreadsheet of doom.....

also, another way to save points but get to stay at WDW for longer is resort hop...and stay at Value resorts on the fri/sat nights between resorts..

ie sun-fri BWV 2 BRM, 150 DVC points standard view, value season
fr-sun POP ( 2 rooms ) rather than rent points at $15 per point as BWV 2 BRM is 70 points for fri/sat thats $1050 just to rent the points for those 2 nights....it would be around $400 for 2 rooms, 2 nights at POP using AP discount..saving you $650
sun-fri AKL 2 BRM , 125 points, value room, value season
fri-tue AoA suite @ aprox $240 pn =$960 for 4 nights using AP discount..or 60 points 2 nights AKL 2 BRM @ $900

total cost 275 points 10 nights BWV & AKL 2 bedroom, $1360 OOP for 6 nights POP/AoA

sometimes renting is an expensive choice....rather than just OOP to stay at value...then use your points to stay in a 2 bedder the "cheaper " nights....

as previously stated..more than one way to skin a cat

also factor in the huge AP discounts for DVC members....for 2 AP this year we saved $300 on listed price......the money you save on tickets can more than cover the resorts you have to pay OOP for....and at those resorts you will also get AP discounts..so more savings....oh, and at these resorts they may also chuck in free dining..as at DVC resorts there is NO free dining offered for DVC members....so that would also save some $$$$ for a family of 6

Here to help!

Last edited by australiankaren; 10-31-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: