Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #31
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
The DVC Dining plan costs for 2013 are 55.59 per night for an adult and 17.16 per night for children 3-9. This is the plan that gives you one table service credit, one counter service credit and one snack credit per night (if you stay 5 nights, you would get 5 of each).

I would go to undercover tourist's website and get costs on park tickets, for whatever options you are looking for. I usually buy through them when we take guests as it will save you a few dollars per ticket and they are a great company.

Add the costs all together and you will see how you compare.
THanks Pokey! I will be getting to that shortly!
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Going through the DVC and some of the other sites, we won't be saving anything really so not even worth it. Bummer!

500.00 difference between the AOA and the Wilderness Lodge-Kidani ... Is it really worth the extra 500? Location wise? Busses? Restaurants?

Last edited by HawkeyeFan; 10-29-2012 at 05:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
Going through the DVC and some of the other sites, we won't be saving anything really so not even worth it. Bummer!

500.00 difference between the AOA and the Wilderness Lodge-Kidani ... Is it really worth the extra 500? Location wise? Busses? Restaurants?
There is no Wilderness Lodge-Kidani.
There is a deluxe resort called the Wilderness Lodge which has DVC villas on the resort grounds - to stay there in a villa you would need a 2 br. villa. This is a lovely resort a boat ride away from the magic kingdom. It's theme is sort of a national park historic lodge, rustic w/ beams.
There is also an Animal Kingdom Lodge which is also a deluxe resort that has villas associated with it. To stay there you could get by in a 1br villa, which I think is what you have priced out. To complicate matters further, the villas at the Animal Kingdom Lodge are located in 2 buildings - one is called Jambo house and also has regular deluxe resort rooms. The other is called Kidani and only has villas. It is a lovely resort. It's theme is Africa and it is set amongst savannas w/ live animals. The most expensive rooms and villas have a view of one of the savannas from their balconies.
As you consider your options, keep in mind that if you rent points you will not get daily housekeeping (unless you pay more for it) and you will only have towels provided one time (maybe 2 depending on length of stay) unless you pay for more. The upside is you have more space and you have a washer and dryer in the unit. You will need to work with the DVC member to arrange your dinning plan and if you aren't driving, your DME. You will need to purchase and activate your park tickets on your own.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

In order to go thru Disney and stay in a 1 bedroom villa you have to go with AKV-Kidani Old Key West, or Bay Lake Tower. Otherwise you will be looking at a 2 BR Villa and that really increases the cost.

I'd stay at All Star Music suite or AoA if you can't swing AKV-Kidani or BLT. AKV will be the cheaper of the 2 villas.

For the $600 difference I'd go with the villa. You will spend that 600 plus some in food without the ability to cook in your room. Plus it would be nice to have a washer/dryer and the extra room.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
There is no Wilderness Lodge-Kidani.
There is a deluxe resort called the Wilderness Lodge which has DVC villas on the resort grounds - to stay there in a villa you would need a 2 br. villa. This is a lovely resort a boat ride away from the magic kingdom. It's theme is sort of a national park historic lodge, rustic w/ beams.
There is also an Animal Kingdom Lodge which is also a deluxe resort that has villas associated with it. To stay there you could get by in a 1br villa, which I think is what you have priced out. To complicate matters further, the villas at the Animal Kingdom Lodge are located in 2 buildings - one is called Jambo house and also has regular deluxe resort rooms. The other is called Kidani and only has villas. It is a lovely resort. It's theme is Africa and it is set amongst savannas w/ live animals. The most expensive rooms and villas have a view of one of the savannas from their balconies.
As you consider your options, keep in mind that if you rent points you will not get daily housekeeping (unless you pay more for it) and you will only have towels provided one time (maybe 2 depending on length of stay) unless you pay for more. The upside is you have more space and you have a washer and dryer in the unit. You will need to work with the DVC member to arrange your dinning plan and if you aren't driving, your DME. You will need to purchase and activate your park tickets on your own.
Animal Kingdom Villas is the resort I was thinking of. We have booked there, but in a standard room, not the Savannah. I also am going right through Disney's website vs DVC because there wasn't much of a price difference and I don't know enough about Disney to be comfortable booking elsewhere. Great point on the daily housekeeping! That is kind of a must for our family with young kiddos. Thanks for the great advice!! I have fallen in love with this forum.. so much great information on Disney!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Animal Kingdom Villas is the resort I was thinking of. We have booked there, but in a standard room, not the Savannah. I also am going right through Disney's website vs DVC because there wasn't much of a price difference and I don't know enough about Disney to be comfortable booking elsewhere. Great point on the daily housekeeping! That is kind of a must for our family with young kiddos. Thanks for the great advice!! I have fallen in love with this forum.. so much great information on Disney!
The standard room at AKL only sleeps four (plus one under the age of three). Did you book a suite instead of a standard room? I thought you had four kids (one under three), plus the two of you.

Or did you book a standard view one bedroom villa (Jambo House or Kidani Village)?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #37
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

The standard room at AKL only sleeps four (plus one under the age of three). Did you book a suite instead of a standard room? I thought you had four kids (one under three), plus the two of you.

Or did you book a standard view one bedroom villa (Jambo House or Kidani Village)?
Standard View Villa at the Kidani is what we booked.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #38
sndral
DIS Veteran

I stayed in a 1br villa at Jambo 2 years ago - the unit was lovely (I've also been in a regular room in Jambo before there was a Kidani.) I believe the 1brs at Kidani have 2 bathrooms and you will have a balcony. Although the standard views don't usually overlook the savannas, there are lots of places to see animals around the resort. The counter service restaurant (Mara) is in Jambo house but if you don't feel like going over to Jambo the pool bar has cs food, too. You can use both Kidani and Jambo's facilities. The kids splash area at Kidani is supposed to be great as well. I love eating at all 3 restaurants -Boma and Jiko in Jambo and Sanaa in Kidani. I really like the gift shop at Jambo as well.
Here's a site w/ maps and photos.
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts.../maps-a-photos
Oh, FYI no balloons at AKL - too risky for the animals.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #39
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then if the Free Dining Plan would come out, maybe we could save on that as well! Wishful thinking..
You have to pay for the dining plan with DVC resorts. If it is "FREE", it maybe free to AoA suites, but may not. You can add dining plan at a DVC resort.

I think the theme at all the resorts is fantastic and you really can't go wrong. We have done All Star Sport, Music and Movies, along with Port Orleans Riverside (family of 5) and Caribbean Beach (2 rooms, since we are now a family of 7). With these resorts we got FREE Dining.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

If you book directly with Disney, you can add free dining if it comes out and the villas are available. We took advantage of this before we purchased DVC.

We have stayed at Kidani in a standard 1 bdrm villa and loved it. The room was spacious and the resort is beautiful. We have a 2 bdrm standard view booked at Jambo over Thanksgiving and are still crossing our fingers that our waitlist will come through for Kidani for the extra bathroom (booked on DVC points). You will love it.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #41
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
If you book directly with Disney, you can add free dining if it comes out and the villas are available. We took advantage of this before we purchased DVC.

We have stayed at Kidani in a standard 1 bdrm villa and loved it. The room was spacious and the resort is beautiful. We have a 2 bdrm standard view booked at Jambo over Thanksgiving and are still crossing our fingers that our waitlist will come through for Kidani for the extra bathroom (booked on DVC points). You will love it.

We are super excited! Starting to book our dining options now and when that is done, i might be able to relax a little.. Ahhhh! So many decisions and want it to be well planned and thought out. Yikes! :lol:
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
We are super excited! Starting to book our dining options now and when that is done, i might be able to relax a little.. Ahhhh! So many decisions and want it to be well planned and thought out. Yikes! :lol:
You are going to have a great trip. Enjoy!

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: