Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

'Ohana review

Ate at 'Ohana last night (second time in the past two months). The food was fine, not as good as it used to be but replacing turkey with chicken and pork tenderloin with pork chops explains that.

The servers are still doing double duty as servers and bus boys (boo to Disney). Reservations were hard to get but both visits had many empty tables...not enough staff? (boo Disney).

For the second time there is little Polynesian feeling or atmosphere from our 'cousins' ... A half hearted Aloha as a greeting and then it's just regular servers. Note: I can remember when a good percentage of the servers were of Polynesian heritage and loved to play it up.

Anyone new to 'Ohana can still love the food and find a little kitch in the setting but honestly it is just more letdown from current Disney to Disney long timers. I won't be renewing my Tables in Wonerland card next year. They just don't try hard enough to justify their costs anymore.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
AnastasiaF
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42

We just returned from Disney and did our first Ohana dinner.

I wouldn't have known it was Polynesian if nobody told me. We were 15 minutes late and they had given our table away (the bus took 45 minutes which we hadn't planned on). The ended up seating 4 of us at 1 table and then 3 of us at another table on the other side of the restaurant.

Servers never really spoke to us. We all disliked the wings and salad dressing. I loved the steak but the other table asked for more steak 3 times and each time it was completely well done and inedible. The chicken and shrimp was delicious, the pork not so much. My kids and I thought the dessert was terrible but my mother loved it. My table of 3 received leis, the other table did not. I had read that it was a fun place that had lots of interaction with kids and staff - there was zero.

Overall I liked enough of the beef, shrimp and chicken to be happy with the meal. I would not go back though and i would not recommend it - no atmosphere, unfriendly staff, hit or miss food. Plus the amount of food thrown out was horrible! The must have given us 20 wings, 2 of which were eaten, a huge bowl of broccoli, a loaf of bread and the salad were all thrown, as well as maybe 15 potstickers and the entire dessert.
AnastasiaF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
rudetreehill
Mouseketeer
 
rudetreehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey, just outside manhattan
Posts: 434

Wow. Kinda glad I read this thread. I've never been to O'Hana, but was considering making a reservation for my trip in January. This definitely left me changing my mind. There are enough places that I love on property to make avoiding this a no-brainer.

Richard/tralfie
__________________
rudetreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Debbie Jean
DIS Veteran
 
Debbie Jean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,620

This was one of the only restaurants on property we had never been to so I got us a reservation for our trip last week. It was our first time and our last... this rates as the worst meal I have ever had at Disney!

The food was just awful... pot stickers cold and hard, meat cold and tough, etc. The salad was OK and the dessert was good... but not so good that I would suffer through a meal there again

The service was even worse... I appreciate efficiency but we were in and out of there in under an hour... our waiter couldn't throw the food at us fast enough

I know there are lots of people who absolutely love this place...it's all yours! This is one restaurant I won't be looking for a reservation at!
__________________
Debbie Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
MomtoBJSF
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145

We have not bee to dinner at Ohana , we'll be going in a few weeks, not I'm nervous about our reservation. I hope all of you will send an email to disney directly to them about your experiences, just cut and paste what you wrote on here,hopefully they start making will start making changes.
__________________
DH , Me , DS#1 ,DD ,DS#2,
MomtoBJSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
deb010305
Mouseketeer
 
deb010305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 176

We went to Ohana for dinner at the beginning of October 2012, this was our 2nd time, the first time was August 2011. This time was much better than the last time. Our server was great and so was the food. We asked for more bread and salad, both of which were delivered promplty with a smile !
Everyone liked the steak, shrimp and chicken, and thought the pork was just ok. Two people in our party had food allergies, and they kept the sauces separate and made them special desserts !
There was entertainment the night we were there, a man with a ukelele (sp) who told stories, sang, and had the kids do a parade and a limbo dance around the dining room. He also asked about birthdays and anniversaries.
All in all it was a fun time with great food.
deb010305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,389

My experience wasnt good either. we went the last week of august. very slimy wings, dry noodles and potstickers, gross pork. terrible quality beef (it was edible though). chicken was decent. the best items was the salad, bread, and dessert. I would not return. very disappointing. I dont understand why this place is so hyped up when the quality of food is terrible.

The pp made a good point. we should complain to Disney. otherwise they will never make changes. although a part of me thinks complaining will be a waste of time.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App
__________________


........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW





I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Jean View Post
... this rates as the worst meal I have ever had at Disney!

The food was just awful... pot stickers cold and hard, meat cold and tough, etc. The salad was OK and the dessert was good... but not so good that I would suffer through a meal there again

The service was even worse... I appreciate efficiency but we were in and out of there in under an hour... our waiter couldn't throw the food at us fast enough
I keep saying the same thing, and people keep telling me that I am wrong. This is institutional food cooked in mass quantities thrown on your table with nary a care. I don't understand how anyone could possibly eat at Victoria & Albert's, bluezoo, Il Mulino, Citricos, California Grill or Shula's and then say: "Ohana is the best restaurant at WDW! The food and service are great!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb010305 View Post
Our server was great and so was the food. ...All in all it was a fun time with great food.
If this is "great food and service", then I wonder what I am getting at kitchens that cook 'a la minute' with professional servers? What adjective does one use to describe three levels higher than "great"?
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 20,102

Our Ratings of Ohana: (7/15/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Used to be highly rated. However, the food quality has severely
deteriorated over the past year. Additionally, the service is very spotty.
For food quality and service, select another restaurant. As a side, unless
you knew to was supposed to be Polynesian, you would never has guessed.
The kids might have fun at the eatery, but it certainly is not on our list
of eateries. Too loud, too lax, too low on the food quality scale. Too bad.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Ro Z
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salisbury, MA
Posts: 2,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Ate at 'Ohana last night (second time in the past two months). The food was fine, not as good as it used to be but replacing turkey with chicken and pork tenderloin with pork chops explains that.

The servers are still doing double duty as servers and bus boys (boo to Disney). Reservations were hard to get but both visits had many empty tables...not enough staff? (boo Disney).

For the second time there is little Polynesian feeling or atmosphere from our 'cousins' ... A half hearted Aloha as a greeting and then it's just regular servers. Note: I can remember when a good percentage of the servers were of Polynesian heritage and loved to play it up.

Anyone new to 'Ohana can still love the food and find a little kitch in the setting but honestly it is just more letdown from current Disney to Disney long timers. I won't be renewing my Tables in Wonerland card next year. They just don't try hard enough to justify their costs anymore.
I have been since the turkey was replaced but now the pork is a pork chop? On the bone? How do they serve them? still skewered? I am going in a couple weeks. so I am curious. DH has never been. I thought the wings were the best part last time. . JMO Our cousin was great! but we were there on a really slow night. There were a lot of empty tables. Thanks!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Susan388
Earning My Ears
 
Susan388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 54

Ohana - good experiences?

Wowee.....now I'm afraid to go (on 11/15).

Any good reviews lately?
__________________
Susan388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
jtimmons2011
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15

We went in September, and while we still loved the food, the service was terrible. Our server was an older gentlemen who had way too many tables and just couldn't keep up. It took us over 2 hours just to get in and out of there. It has been one of our favorites in the past, but I'm afraid it might not get a spot on our schedule next time.
jtimmons2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Ro Z
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salisbury, MA
Posts: 2,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtimmons2011 View Post
We went in September, and while we still loved the food, the service was terrible. Our server was an older gentlemen who had way too many tables and just couldn't keep up. It took us over 2 hours just to get in and out of there. It has been one of our favorites in the past, but I'm afraid it might not get a spot on our schedule next time.
My only complaint with the service was that it was too quick. We didn't finish the food they brought before the next was brought out. Inconsistent?
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
 
NC State Tigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
I have been since the turkey was replaced but now the pork is a pork chop? On the bone? How do they serve them? still skewered? I am going in a couple weeks. so I am curious. DH has never been. I thought the wings were the best part last time. . JMO !
We have an ADR in Dec--only at WDW for one night before cruise. We have enjoyed Ohana in the past and everyone requested it for our one dinner, but these recent reviews really have me wondering if I should try to change. I would also like to know about the change in the pork? How do they serve the "pork chops"? are they "grilled" and served on a platter? Can not imagine "skewered" pork chops!
__________________
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9,389

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I keep saying the same thing, and people keep telling me that I am wrong. This is institutional food cooked in mass quantities thrown on your table with nary a care. I don't understand how anyone could possibly eat at Victoria & Albert's, bluezoo, Il Mulino, Citricos, California Grill or Shula's and then say: "Ohana is the best restaurant at WDW! The food and service are great!"
I love this post. I couldnt agree more. I've been wondering the same thing! There's V&A, Cali Grill, Citrico's....yet I hear ppl say Ohanas is the best meal in all of Disney?? Thats funny.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
Our Ratings of Ohana: (7/15/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D

. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Used to be highly rated. However, the food quality has severely
deteriorated over the past year. Additionally, the service is very spotty.
For food quality and service, select another restaurant. As a side, unless
you knew to was supposed to be Polynesian, you would never has guessed.
The kids might have fun at the eatery, but it certainly is not on our list
of eateries. Too loud, too lax, too low on the food quality scale. Too bad.
clap! clap! clap! YES!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
I have been since the turkey was replaced but now the pork is a pork chop? On the bone? How do they serve them? still skewered? I am going in a couple weeks. so I am curious. DH has never been. I thought the wings were the best part last time. . JMO Our cousin was great! but we were there on a really slow night. There were a lot of empty tables. Thanks!
When i was there, it was a boneless pork chop on the skewer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State Tigger View Post
We have an ADR in Dec--only at WDW for one night before cruise. We have enjoyed Ohana in the past and everyone requested it for our one dinner, but these recent reviews really have me wondering if I should try to change. I would also like to know about the change in the pork? How do they serve the "pork chops"? are they "grilled" and served on a platter? Can not imagine "skewered" pork chops!
Yup, its on a skewer. Boneless pork chop.
__________________


........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW





I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.