Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Disney Addicted
DIS Veteran

Your thoughts on Hurricane Sandy for GTA area

Anyone worried? Stocking up? Your thoughts??

Went for my weekly grocery shopping today and the stores are packed! One store was even sold out of eggs so I now need to go back out to a different store. I heard people talking about it, but I really was not worried.

There does not seem to be much news about how our area of Ontario will be hit. Some articles indicate a LOT rain and 90 kl per hour winds, others say perhaps 40 kl winds and a little rain.

We have a full tank of gas; full tank of propane; I just finished regular grocery shopping; have candles, lighters, matches; always have flashlights plugged into outlets for power outage (and double as nightlights).

Maybe I will pick up a couple of cases of water then just in case.
Disney Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

Lots of rain and wind. I'm not worried. It looks like it is starting Monday evening. I have a flashlight and food.

Should be a few interesting days.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

I am going to have DH fill our SUV tomorrow morning with gas, but otherwise, that's about all we will do. Our fridge/freezer/pantry are always packed and super-stocked, so we have tons of food if need be. We have a good supply of candles, lots of warm clothes if the power goes out, and plenty of batteries for the flashlight.

Crossing fingers that Sandy loses some of her fury as she continues her journey up the east coast. Over the course of our 19 year marriage, DH and I have had our basement flood in 3 separate homes......so bucket loads of rain always makes me a little on edge. I am glad that we all live/work/go to school in our immediate community (within a couple of KM of our home) so no one will have to commute or travel any kind of distance if we get pounded with winds and rain. Hope all the Disers out there stay safe and dry!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Tower
DIS Veteran

The Mississauga Catholic School Board's cross country races are on Tuesday at Centennial Park in Etobicoke. That's the only thing that worries me as I don't want the kids sick when we head out on our cruise in 2 weeks!
DD9 and DS11 are qualifiers for this run. Not sure about DS, but DD would be disappointed if she could not run due to weather.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Suziewan
Mouseketeer

I'm really hoping that the weather is not as bad as predicted; I can't stand the extra time in traffic on my already very long commute. I'm crossing everything that it will just be more of what we've had all weekend. Hope everyone stays safe and warm!

Suziewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
RookieMouse
Mouseketeer

It looks like they have downgraded the warnings for here in the Maritimes. We are not supposed to get as much rain nor as much wind as originally thought. Something like 15-20mm of rain and gusts up to 50 km/h for tomorrow. I can't see Toronto getting very much unless Sandy decides to cut cross-country and make a bee-line for you.

2006 - Disneyland
March 2009 - Wilderness Lodge / Disney Magic
November 2009 - AKV / BLT / Disney Magic
March 2013 - AKV Kidani / BLT
RookieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
pampam
DIS Veteran

I filled up my gas tank and 2 small jerry cans with gas. I've charged up my cell phone, and flash lights. I've gotten out the candles, and made sure the radios had batteries. we can cook on the BBQ if necessary, and have a wood stove if it gets too cold. the only issue is DD is on oxygen, so we might have to go to a help center if the power goes out, but I hope not. I'd much rather stay home.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieMouse View Post
It looks like they have downgraded the warnings for here in the Maritimes. We are not supposed to get as much rain nor as much wind as originally thought. Something like 15-20mm of rain and gusts up to 50 km/h for tomorrow. I can't see Toronto getting very much unless Sandy decides to cut cross-country and make a bee-line for you.
It is not so much Sandy as it is the other storm on the other side of us that are going to meet up together. Sandy is hitting NY and that is only across the lake from us.

We have wind and off and on rain now but it is suppose to get worse tonight and overnight into Tuesday because it is a slow moving storm.

We too are usually well stocked with water and food so no problem there. It is the wind and power lines that scare me don't want to lose power at all.

Don't foget to have money on hand....bank machine would be down if power is out.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: