Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran
 
bankgirl05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: southern NJ
Posts: 959

Sandy is WRECKING my plans...

We are (were?) planning on leaving Wednesday afternnon for our drive to WDW. (Of course, if we make it through the storm, without damage and still have power) but I am worried that what would normally be a 16-18 hour drive will be MUCH longer. (possible detours etc.) Will Disney hold my room if we don't arrive on Thursday,and allow us to check in on Friday instead? I already did online check in...

I am not worried about losing the money of the first night... I guess I am just hoping a tree doesn't fall on our house, or anything catastrophic to the point of having to postpone the entire trip, rather than just delay.

bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Katers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 75

I don't know the answer to your question (though I would venture to say that they would hold your reservation...especially if you called and told them your situation) but I would like to wish you good luck and safety! Being from South Louisiana, I know how ugly things COULD get. Hopefully, your family and property find it to be much ado about nothing! And have a great trip!

-Katey
Katers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran
 
goopysolelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellville, TX
Posts: 22,750

Thoughts and prayers are with you and all our Disboard friends on the east coast. I, too, hope you come out of this awful storm without damage!

We had a similiar experience a few years back dealing with Hurricane Ike. Our problem was the opposite though! At the last minute, in order to get out of Houston before the airport closed, we changed our flight to a MUCH earlier one. We arrived at the Poly before noon; told them of our "adventure" and they immediately found available rooms for us. Visiting with CM's during check-in and later in the day, we discovered they were doing everything possible for guests effected by the Hurricane. Some of the guests were scheduled to leave but the closing of the Houston airport made that impossible. CM's were finding rooms for them wherever possible...most of them on property.

Once you're on the road and can judge your progress, you'll be better able to judge when your arrival time will be. If you find yourself "running behind", I'd call your resort, speak with a manager and explain your situation. Let them know you have no problem paying for your full visit...just "please don't give our room away if we fail to arrive on the scheduled date"! Judging from our experience, I feel they'll be very understanding. They've faced "weather situations" many times before. GOOD LUCK to you and your family...stay safe!
__________________
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,912

oh my.. I feel for you. any chance you can leave early and beat the storm? evenif you have to driv eout of the way to the west? stay in a knights' inn, or motel 6 in tenenssee of something for a night?

a year and a half ago, we should have left a day earlier than planned. we left on a sunday.. sat. was our grandaughter's bday party.

hubby kept telling me, "this tropical storm LEE is going to be a problem, let's leave a day early and beat it."

er are in Illinois, and I didn't think it would be a problem, and didn't want to get anyone angry (family) OMG, that storm HUNG over tennessee and georgia for days!

we ended up getting off the interstate (no visiblilty at all) and drivng on 27 al the way through GA

if you can leave early, and vary routes, do so

or, if you have to leave a day later (which we have done, due to an ice storm in KY, ) do that. safety first. I'm sure disney knows about the storm... if nothing else , they should hold your room.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
StuckInKS
DIS Veteran
 
StuckInKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Here, In My Head
Posts: 1,075

We got there late on our trip last year and they rebooked our checkin date as the date we arrived, so we still got all our days. Just give them a call if you are delayed, they will work with you.
__________________
Me DH DD 9 DS 8 DD 7 DS 5 DS 2 DS 1
May/June 2014 + November 2013 + May/June 2011 + June/July 2010 + May 2009 = 75 magical park days and counting
We are finally AP holders
StuckInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05 View Post
We are (were?) planning on leaving Wednesday afternnon for our drive to WDW. (Of course, if we make it through the storm, without damage and still have power) but I am worried that what would normally be a 16-18 hour drive will be MUCH longer. (possible detours etc.) Will Disney hold my room if we don't arrive on Thursday,and allow us to check in on Friday instead? I already did online check in...

I am not worried about losing the money of the first night... I guess I am just hoping a tree doesn't fall on our house, or anything catastrophic to the point of having to postpone the entire trip, rather than just delay.

I'd worry about your home and safety first. Disney will always be there. If you do go late, call Disney and tell them you will not be there until Friday, they should hold the room. Best Wishes.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Avonlady1001
DIS Veteran
 
Avonlady1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Babylon, NY
Posts: 2,080

Sending good thoughts, OP for no damage & a safe trip down. I'm on Long Island & in a similar spot. We're flying out (fingers crossed) first thing Thurs morning. My family is stuck in CA with cancelled flights & who knows if they'll make it home in time to catch their Friday morning flights to Orlando, though they should as long as they can find a flight with spots open when air travel resumes. We're all cruising DCL on Saturday.

Just hoping it all comes together & works out.

Just call Disney, explain the situation & I'm sure they'll hold your ressie. I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Safe travels!
Avonlady1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
hill6
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,620

I am sure things will be fine. There will be minimal wind/rain around by Wednesday. Hopefully nothing will happen to your house during the storm.

Work today to get everything ready that you will need for your trip. Get the laundry done while the power is on. We go away next week to Hawaii. I spent all weekend washing everything for that trip.

I am sure Disney will hold your room for you. I 95 will be fine after the storm.
__________________
My Name is Debbie and I am a Certified Disneyaholic
First Trip Age 8.
20+ trips since.


The Dark Side May 8-10.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 10-14
Kidani May 14-15. Hoping for last night at Wilderness Lodge
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
djblu883
DIS Veteran
 
djblu883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa,Alabama
Posts: 2,209

Hope you have travel insurance. This is why I always tell people to get travel insurance!!! My sister was to fly out today from DC and she can't! Expensive trip overseas .... And insurance covers driving trips too!!!!
__________________
missing this season at Disney...my new DGD will be arriving this fall so skipping this year....may try to sneak off this winter for a short trip lol
djblu883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,493

Definitely give them a call. For the Princess half marathon, our daughter had her flight cancelled because a blizzard was supposed to be coming and she wasn't able to rebook for two days. She ended up renting a car and driving down so she missed the first night. We had driven down to Disney earlier and when she called us to tell us of the change in her plans, I went down to the front desk and let them know that she would be arriving a day late. They told me that it was good that I called as they would then hold her room. If they didn't have any notification, they could release her room the next day.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,262

Call them! Don't just leave it to chance.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,095

You need to call and let them know; they will not know why you are late and will cancel your reservation.
__________________
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,043

Disney policy is to cancel out checkout the day after check in with no arrival.

Just call - they're doing lots of things differently with the hurricane to accommodate folks.

Keep them posted. You'll be fine.

Safe travels!
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
denneg
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: http://www.****************/
Posts: 610

We are in the same boat. We have 2 rooms booked, arriving on Thursday. DS and I are the only 2 out of 8 who are positive we can go on Thursday. DH is military and won't be coming until the weekend, and the other couple both work for the electric company so they don't know what will happen. We have insurance but the other family doesn't - and if we don't check in on Thursday, we would lose our free dining. I told her to call and see what they would do - if she does online check in and puts me down, maybe they'll let me check into their room too in order to keep it safe. We should know today or hopefully early tomorrow if they can go Thursday - which I really hope they can, since flights are rebooking for Sunday and Monday! I think they are figuring that their worst case scenario, they throw the kids in the car Friday night and drive, but we'll see.

Hope your situation works out!! We survived Sandy without many problems, we were one of the lucky ones.
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Call them! Don't just leave it to chance.
This....Call them...
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.