Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #211
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirk View Post
I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't seem to craft a thread search that gave me the results I wanted:

In terms of the unique aspects of this cruise (whales, glaciers, northern lights, etc.), is there a particularly good or bad time of the year to cruise? I want to be as economical as possible, but I also don't want to cruise when all of the "good stuff" is at an ebb.

My best guess is, the closer to the winter months, the better?

Thanks!
Some of the excursions are considered seasonal and are not offered on all cruise (bears, for example). Also, several of the excursions which included special arrangements for kids with the counselors weren't offered when kids were most likely in school (we wanted to do train in Skagway where kids would get to ride down with activities). If I remember correctly, the very first and a few of the last cruises did not offer all excursions (we were on last AK cruise last year). My suggestion is to decide what you'd like to do then call DCL and ask if that excursion would be offered when you are thinking of going.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #212
MarkRG
DIS Veteran

That's kind of the rub - the most economical are typically the ones with the lowest possibility for good opportunities. And especially for whales from what we were told on our excursion, later in the season is when chances to see typically go downhill quickly as they migrate to the south pacific for the winter. Also keep in mind what they have for summer up there is a very narrow window, the further you go early or late in the season, your chances for good weather will decline.

MonorailGreen.info
Since I stopped counting how many times a long time ago,
here's the first time I went to:
WDW 1976 - DCL 1999 - DLR 1999 - DVC 2000
MarkRG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #213
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staxia View Post
If you don't mind me asking... who did you use, and how did the cost compare to if you had booked through DCL?

can I ask some more questions?

What did you see, in comparison with others on the ship who took a whale watching excursion? Did you get to compare notes with anyone else?

Did you also get to visit Mendenhall at all? (this is included with the DCL excursion, and we can't decide if we feel the NEED to go or not!)

There's 4 adults going, none of whom have a strong feeling either way! HELP! lol
We're using Harv and Marvs and they have a stop on the way back at Mendenhall. It's 15 minutes but they have told us that we can stay and take the city bus or a cab if we decide when we are there that we want to stay longer.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #214
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRG View Post
That's kind of the rub - the most economical are typically the ones with the lowest possibility for good opportunities. And especially for whales from what we were told on our excursion, later in the season is when chances to see typically go downhill quickly as they migrate to the south pacific for the winter. Also keep in mind what they have for summer up there is a very narrow window, the further you go early or late in the season, your chances for good weather will decline.
We were on the last Alaskan cruise last year and went whale watching in Juneau. We saw a pod of orcas including two babies who were so new their bellies were still pinkish. We also saw 4 humpbacks so we had pretty good luck late in the season.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #215
MASrules
Mouseketeer

Is there a character breakfast on the Alaskan cruises?

Do normal US cellphone plans work in Alaska?

Last edited by MASrules; 05-18-2012 at 07:16 PM.
MASrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #216
2PrincesseInTow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASrules View Post
Yes, you're just traveling to another state. But don't expect your phone to always work on the ship unless you're close to shore and a cell site.
2PrincesseInTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #217
DisneyBasket
Mouseketeer

Quote:

They may work, but you may be surprised by a big bill!! Check with your provider, as it will depend on your phone, what service you have purchased, and what service your provider offers there. When we called Verizon last year before our Alaskan cruise (we called several times) we got a different story each time we called, but all stories added up to extra charges if we used the phones there. We turned them to airplane mode and left them that way. Verizon told us they only offer service in one Alaskan city, and it wasn't any of the ones we were visiting! Not sure how true that is, but the bottom line is, check with your cell phone service provider to make sure you don't have any unpleasant surprises when you get home.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #218
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBasket View Post
They may work, but you may be surprised by a big bill!! Check with your provider, as it will depend on your phone, what service you have purchased, and what service your provider offers there. When we called Verizon last year before our Alaskan cruise (we called several times) we got a different story each time we called, but all stories added up to extra charges if we used the phones there. We turned them to airplane mode and left them that way. Verizon told us they only offer service in one Alaskan city, and it wasn't any of the ones we were visiting! Not sure how true that is, but the bottom line is, check with your cell phone service provider to make sure you don't have any unpleasant surprises when you get home.
I used my Verizon phone in Skagway to get very important brand new baby news- no extra charges. Other providers seemed not to have service.

I did not try my phone in any other cities.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #219
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes to the character breakfast as well.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #220
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:

We have Sprint and had very spotty coverage last year. Here's a link to a map that shows coverage. As you can see, it's roaming.
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:FT:Cov
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #221
DisneyBasket
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
I used my Verizon phone in Skagway to get very important brand new baby news- no extra charges. Other providers seemed not to have service.

I did not try my phone in any other cities.
I do think it depends on your phone and level of service. They were adamant that we would be roaming in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. And of course, in Canada, we would be paying international rates. I'm glad you were able to use yours to get your very special news!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #222
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Yes to the character breakfast. We were assigned one on a sea day.

We have AT&T iPhones in my family. Whenever we could get a signal (even when moving but in the US) we were able to use them and not get an extra charge. Had to be careful in Canada though. YMMV

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #223
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We used Rum Runner Charters.....

.....There are blue buses at the dock that will take you to Mendenhall and Captain Chris will pick you up there and take you whale watching or drop you there after whale watching depending on what time of day you go. I would actually recommend booking the longer excursion with him as we didn't want ours to end.
I'm so glad I found this thread! We have booked with Rum Runner for next summer (the 4 hour trip) and wondered if we would be able to fit in a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier as well. Glad to see that we can be dropped off there after the boat trip.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

I'm hoping that the DCL tour times will be similar to the ones posted for 2011 since next years cruises will also be out of Vancouver.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #224
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread! We have booked with Rum Runner for next summer (the 4 hour trip) and wondered if we would be able to fit in a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier as well. Glad to see that we can be dropped off there after the boat trip.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

I'm hoping that the DCL tour times will be similar to the ones posted for 2011 since next years cruises will also be out of Vancouver.
Yes you can as long as the port times are similar to when we sailed. Please let Captain Chris know where you heard about him. :-)

Tags
alaska cruise tours

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: