Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #61
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?
 
Wendy&Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gotha, Florida
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybride96 View Post
I was on that cruise and I in fact know nothing about navigational decisions. Perhaps this were the right decisions. I am no expert.
I chose to get on the ship knowing it would probably not be the best cruise ever. I trusted that the captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had. That storm slowed down over the Bahamas from what was projected. Had we stayed south and had a beautiful day at sea, people would complain that we didn't make a port.
You trusted the Captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had, as did we. He knew Sandy was hanging around the Bahamas, how was turning the ship around Friday morning and heading back into Sandy the best decision he could have made?

I believe there would have been far fewer complaints had the Captain kept us in the Gulf Friday so guests at least had been able to enjoy the cruise we did have (ie a cruise without ports) without being horribly seasick and thrown against walls and out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybride96 View Post
Now Saturday night was rough, but you have to cross the Atlantic Coastal Current sometime. Last night is always the most bumpy no matter what the seas. If we had stayed out longer, I'd still be in Florida trying to get a flight home and there would be a whole boatload of people sitting at Port Canaveral waiting for their cruise.
My daughter flew down from Boston for the cruise, and since we were fully aware that we were cruising during hurricane season, her return flight was scheduled for Tuesday morning, just in case.

Guess what? Her flight is one of the thousands cancelled due to Sandy. JetBlue sent an email letting us know her Tuesday morning flight was cancelled and rebooked for Thursday morning.

Weather happens and changes plans; we are fully aware of that and willing and able to roll with it.

A ship being sailed from calm waters INTO a storm is not something that just happened... somewhere along the way a decision was made to do so.

Like you, we made the best of it, and we did have some good times - my son & I won a contest for making the best drinks at a beverage seminar, my kids & I won Most Original in the Halloween Costume Contest, and we all had fun with Pirate night - however, we do feel that we did not get what we paid for due to the decision to sail back into the storm.

While it's good to see DCL making at least some gesture, I think it's crappy to say they will only compensate us for this cruise if we take a future cruise.

They're basically saying "Sorry we blew it, if you want compensation, book another cruise and we'll give it to you then."

I think they'd encourage more people to rebook by simply giving a 25% refund to those of us affected.
__________________
Etsy/Ebay: PixieDustedStitches

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #62
elainyaeq
Mouseketeer
 
elainyaeq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Port Richey Florida
Posts: 79

Dream cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
You trusted the Captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had, as did we. He knew Sandy was hanging around the Bahamas, how was turning the ship around Friday morning and heading back into Sandy the best decision he could have made?

I believe there would have been far fewer complaints had the Captain kept us in the Gulf Friday so guests at least had been able to enjoy the cruise we did have (ie a cruise without ports) without being horribly seasick and thrown against walls and out of bed.



My daughter flew down from Boston for the cruise, and since we were fully aware that we were cruising during hurricane season, her return flight was scheduled for Tuesday morning, just in case.

Guess what? Her flight is one of the thousands cancelled due to Sandy. JetBlue sent an email letting us know her Tuesday morning flight was cancelled and rebooked for Thursday morning.

Weather happens and changes plans; we are fully aware of that and willing and able to roll with it.

A ship being sailed from calm waters INTO a storm is not something that just happened... somewhere along the way a decision was made to do so.

Like you, we made the best of it, and we did have some good times - my son & I won a contest for making the best drinks at a beverage seminar, my kids & I won Most Original in the Halloween Costume Contest, and we all had fun with Pirate night - however, we do feel that we did not get what we paid for due to the decision to sail back into the storm.

While it's good to see DCL making at least some gesture, I think it's crappy to say they will only compensate us for this cruise if we take a future cruise.

They're basically saying "Sorry we blew it, if you want compensation, book another cruise and we'll give it to you then."

I think they'd encourage more people to rebook by simply giving a 25% refund to those of us affected.

We were on the Dream cruise too and were told only two miles away from nassau on Sat morning that winds were too strong and the docks were damaged. Why is it the captain wakes us up on Saturday morning at 7:30 to tell us this and acts like he did not know these conditions prior to being 2 miles out from port? they took a chance and brought us into the storm and did not have to, poor choice and bad decision by the captian.
and no one on this board can speak to it unless they were there. it's all fresh in our minds and maybe a year from now it won't be such a disapointment but those who are so oppinionated should show more empathy cause it would be a totally different story if you were on that ship and saw your parents and kids being tossed around. some people are just mean :-( i was not expecting any discount and glad for that, it was just a horrible experience all together and wish it had been different.
__________________
Thanks,
Tammy
elainyaeq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #63
SLK1
DIS Veteran
 
SLK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
You are correct in that DCL cannot control Mother Nature.

However, they most certainly CAN control where the ships go.

I was on the Dream cruise that left Thursday. They took us down the coast, around the tip of Florida into the Gulf. Friday morning we had fairly calm seas and even some sunshine. They could have kept us there, but no, they decided instead to turn around and head back into the storm!!!

Additionally, rather than hang back Saturday night and wait for the storm to move out some before heading back to port, they took us even further into the storm just to make port on time this morning!!! For several hours last night, the Murphy bed in our room was slamming open & closed, chairs were falling over, and anything not tacked town or tucked away was flying around the room.

The navigational choices made were NOT safe or in the guests best interests.
Many spent the majority of the cruise sick in their rooms, and many left with bruises they didn't board with.

Yes, we all took our chances cruising during hurricane season, with the belief and understanding that DCL would navigate away from any storms, keeping us safe and giving us the best experience possible.

Unfortunately, DCL instead chose to navigate INTO the storm, causing guests to miss out on a least half of what they paid for!

Here's a list of what was not available to us for the majority of the cruise and/or not at all:

Nassau
Castaway Cay
Upper decks
Promenade deck
Aqua Duck
Pools
Pirate party w/fireworks (partial party was held in the Atrium and fireworks were quickly shot off last night at 7:45 pm)
Meals were a fiasco - I'm guessing they were short staffed due to seasick staff, because the dining service took forever and by the time meals were brought, it was clear they had been sitting for quite some time.

Had better navigational choices been made, we could have at least enjoyed the full ship, which would have made for a much better experience. I would have been happy spending two days at sea on a ship that wasn't rocking and rolling, even without the ports!

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.
I was on this same cruise. It was, in a word, BAD. I didn't understand the urgency to try and make it to Nassau that second day when we could have hung back and had some sort of calm seas for at least half a day. No, we followed the storm and it seemed like we caught up to it! I don't pretend to know the workings of a ship or the job of a captain, but it was beyond scary...and I think the people on here degrading what people on either ship went through are simply idiots. I love DCL and we are platinum cruisers, but unfortunately, the situation scarred us enough to have us reconsidering our Spring Break cruise in March. I sincerely question Disney's "wisdom" used on these two ships this weekend.
__________________
Me ; DH ; DS19; DD17; DD12; DD6
SLK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #64
realityland
Mouseketeer
 
realityland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)
Posts: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I'm çonfused. Is it some type of competition? I don't see what realityland said that was so bad. And please don't say that I don't get it. Look at my location. I know a little something about hurricanes, destruction, and death also.
maybe folks are just real touchy right now with the storm bearing down on them. i don't know. it was getting pretty heated.

thanks for the show of support. new orleans had the best oysters i've ever eaten, and abita is juts one incredible beer.
__________________
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #65
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,877

Ok, so I have read through this threat. And, I was on this cruise.

Anybody that was not on it, has no idea what those on the ship experienced. And, they really have no right to comment on what people received because they went through this storm. There were adults with multiple cruises under their belts in tears because they feared for their lives. There were waves that crashed up to the higher Decks of the ship. I met a family that has cruised 8 times before and will NEVER cruise again.

Disney felt that those onboard the ship deserved a discount on a future cruise (or for those that will NEVER cruise again) a discount on a Disney vacation.

I really feel that some people are bitter because they are not getting a discount. Yes, we cruised during hurricane season. Yes, there was a hurricane. But the conditions on the ship were way more than expected by Captain Tom (as he expressed to all of us).

I am thankful that the Captain safely returned us to our home Port. But, I do believe that a discount of some sort was deserved.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life




Last edited by disney1990; 10-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.
disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #66
mgroshans
DIS Veteran
 
mgroshans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 1,041

Just spoke with DCL: it is in addition to the 10% rebooking offer. So, we will be getting a total of 35% off our cruise we booked while on board.
mgroshans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #67
rfassett
Mouseketeer
 
rfassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GREENVILLE, PA
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Wow...lost your sense of humor?? Get a grip.

I know what a hurricane does I have seen many, including the destruction of Irene last year in my home state and in my own home. And I don't even live in a flood zone. So my family is prepared as are my neighbors. We lose power even when there is just a thunder storm.
I was on the Dream disaster - there was no humor there. And I have NEVER been accused of not having a sense of humor.
__________________
DVC SINCE 04/01

rfassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #68
rfassett
Mouseketeer
 
rfassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GREENVILLE, PA
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
You are correct in that DCL cannot control Mother Nature.

However, they most certainly CAN control where the ships go.

I was on the Dream cruise that left Thursday. They took us down the coast, around the tip of Florida into the Gulf. Friday morning we had fairly calm seas and even some sunshine. They could have kept us there, but no, they decided instead to turn around and head back into the storm!!!

Additionally, rather than hang back Saturday night and wait for the storm to move out some before heading back to port, they took us even further into the storm just to make port on time this morning!!! For several hours last night, the Murphy bed in our room was slamming open & closed, chairs were falling over, and anything not tacked town or tucked away was flying around the room.

The navigational choices made were NOT safe or in the guests best interests.
Many spent the majority of the cruise sick in their rooms, and many left with bruises they didn't board with.

Yes, we all took our chances cruising during hurricane season, with the belief and understanding that DCL would navigate away from any storms, keeping us safe and giving us the best experience possible.

Unfortunately, DCL instead chose to navigate INTO the storm, causing guests to miss out on a least half of what they paid for!

Here's a list of what was not available to us for the majority of the cruise and/or not at all:

Nassau
Castaway Cay
Upper decks
Promenade deck
Aqua Duck
Pools
Pirate party w/fireworks (partial party was held in the Atrium and fireworks were quickly shot off last night at 7:45 pm)
Meals were a fiasco - I'm guessing they were short staffed due to seasick staff, because the dining service took forever and by the time meals were brought, it was clear they had been sitting for quite some time.

Had better navigational choices been made, we could have at least enjoyed the full ship, which would have made for a much better experience. I would have been happy spending two days at sea on a ship that wasn't rocking and rolling, even without the ports!

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.
Agree, agree, agree. Well stated. It is not that we got back safe. Safety should never have been an issue. When DCL purposely puts you in harms way, as they did on the Dream, and puffs up their collective chest and slaps themselves on their respective backs for bringing you back out of harms way, there is something fundamentally wrong. I would encourage everyone to give very serious thought to getting on a cruise ship under the current regime. I am publically and privately calling for Captain Henry's resignation and it will be a very, very, VERY long time before I set foot on another DCL cruise.
__________________
DVC SINCE 04/01

rfassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #69
MikeyandCinnie
Earning My Ears
 
MikeyandCinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of DisKids

Wednesday afternoon......Castaway Cay is cancelled. It looks like the eye of the storm will be over the Bahamas on the 26th, which was CC day. Captain Tom shows maps of the storm before the evening shows and explains why he just cannot get us there. Everyone is very understanding.
Thursday........ Ship is rolling. I am seasick for the first time in my entire life. But waves aren't bad, just enough motion to feel affected. We are warned that Friday the waves will be worse. Sun is out at times so people are still in pool and going about the day.
Friday...... Cloudy, windy. Gusts up to 70mph. Aqua duck closed. Pools sloshing, but still open. Waves a bit rougher. It is my birthday and I am stuck in room with sick kid (DS 4, who had puked at dinner the night before and is running a temp.)
Friday late Afternoon, just before 1st seating dinner........Pools closed. Decks closed. Grey clouds, high winds. During 1st performance, a dancer falls. It was like they leapt, and when they landed the floor wasn't where it was supposed to be. If you took the stairs you could feel the same sensation. The step would be higher or lower than when you started the step. Walking becomes an Olympic sport. Must. Hold. Handrail. 630pm Captain Tom comes on speaker to say that conditions will remain like this through the night and to take precaution when walking around the ship. Announcements are made that we may not get back to Port Canaveral at the scheduled time and that breakfast and debarkation times have changed. Now there will be open seating at Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Court.
2nd seating dinner.......DS 9 is green around the gills, DD 6 is crying because her tummy hurts. I go to dinner with everyone, including DS 4, who no longer has a fever. DS 4 acts like he hasn't seen food in weeks and gobbles down a roll and apple juice. And then pukes all over his plate for the second night in a row. Other two kids are doing fine with some food in them. I give them some Dramamine and pop 2 meclazine for myself. Continue with dinner, get a birthday dessert, we all stumble back to our room.
10pm.......the fun begins. Waves are ridiculous. Tops of waves can be seen at 5th floor windows. Ship is pitching up and down, and it feels like a roller coaster. I go to 11th floor to beverage station to fill our mugs. Everything is closed. winds are howling. We don't want to put anyone in top bunk, so we settle in DS 9 and DD 6 into their bunks, and DS 4 sleeps with us. There will be no sleeping on this night, however. We are in room 9000. 9th floor, directly under the bridge. The ship is rolling side to side. When I say rolling, I mean that I actually rolled out of my bed onto the floor. The hangers in the closet would slide back and forth, the bathroom doors would fly open then slam shut. Ice bucket, glasses, wave phones, all on the floor. Thunderous crashes as waves would slam into the ship, so loud it sounded like a firework going off in the room. Somehow my kids are sleeping ( must have been the Dramamine DH and I are wide awake. It is next to impossible to walk in the room.
1245am......"When You Wish Upon A Star" comes piping into our room, followed by Captain Tom asking everyone to return to their rooms and stay there. I figure that if he is making this announcement over a loudspeaker into the rooms knowing kids are on board and possibly sleeping, he must mean business!
105am........Again with the music.... Then Captain Tom says " I want to reassure everyone that you are safe. This ship can handle the storm. You will be ok."
Saturday am........message over loudspeaker in rooms. " Sorry , folks, for the rough night. The waves and wind were worse than predicted". Off to Enchanted Garden at about 830 for breakfast. Broken pictures on ground. detective agency desk turned over. Merchandise on floor in gift shops. Broken glass in White Caps due to falling liquor bottles. Multiple crew members discussing openly with guests how frightened they were. Many guests already in lobby waiting to get off the ship. This won't happen anytime soon. We decide to go back to our rooms and let the kids watch cartoons and wait for an announcement. Announcement for 25% made. Debarkation begins at around 1145am. We don't get off ship until 145pm because so many people a trying to get off at once.

I am not a big panicker, so I never felt like "This is it!" I will admit to a bit of terror when Captain Tom came back on the speaker at 105am. I thought for sure he was going to tell us to get a life jacket on. I always felt like the ship could handle the storm but it was very uncomfortable and not something I wish to relive. I think that is what rattles a bunch a folks......Disney did not have the comfort of the guests as a priority. Yes I am alive and unhurt, but I was physically ill, and missed out on a full night's rest. Worse things could happen. I don't blame Disney for the weather. They may control many things, but that isn't one of them I didn't complain, I didn't write nasty comments on the comment card, I didn't descend on guest services demanding a full refund. But deep down I do feel that possibly the haste to return to port was more of a financial decision than a sane one.
Thank you so much for sharing the details of your experience. I found myself imagining what you all must have gone through but I likely failed to fully empathize with you as it was more that can be imagined. I agree regarding the likelihood of it being a financial decision, but none of us can know for sure. I would have been terrified beyond belief if I had experienced what you experienced, YET, so thankful for a safe arrival to port. Perhaps the decision to come in to PC was based on the potential for PC access being compromised by the storm...or what about supplies if they had stayed out? Either way, this has convinced me to do a few things with my future DCL adventures: always book the flight home for a couple days after, buy trip insurance and mechlezine, know that the "Disney Bubble "(as we call it in Ca) does not always follow all Disney ventures, pray for your Captain and crew, ...and be safe and ready. Thank you for sharing!
MikeyandCinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #70
rfassett
Mouseketeer
 
rfassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GREENVILLE, PA
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainyaeq View Post
We were on the Dream cruise too and were told only two miles away from nassau on Sat morning that winds were too strong and the docks were damaged. Why is it the captain wakes us up on Saturday morning at 7:30 to tell us this and acts like he did not know these conditions prior to being 2 miles out from port? they took a chance and brought us into the storm and did not have to, poor choice and bad decision by the captian.
and no one on this board can speak to it unless they were there. it's all fresh in our minds and maybe a year from now it won't be such a disapointment but those who are so oppinionated should show more empathy cause it would be a totally different story if you were on that ship and saw your parents and kids being tossed around. some people are just mean :-( i was not expecting any discount and glad for that, it was just a horrible experience all together and wish it had been different.
I have reasoned that we had to get that close to Nassau so the Captain could look through his looking glass at the little guy on the dock waving the red flags (as in don't come here). I mean clearly, this high tech ship does not have any sort of ship to shore communication capabilities, right? We were treated like crap, DCL knows it and they need to make it right - I am just not sure how they can do that though. That time, for a lot of us, was very precious - and now its gone.
__________________
DVC SINCE 04/01

rfassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #71
testtrack
Earning My Ears
 
testtrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 19

Email from Disney regarding the discounts:

Quote:
Offer Extended to Disney Cruise Line Guests Impacted by Hurricane Sandy

Disney Cruise Line® appreciates your patience and understanding with the unexpected weather delays and inconvenience created by Hurricane Sandy.

As a gesture of sincere goodwill, Disney Cruise Line is extending an offer to Guests who debarked the Disney Dream on Oct. 28 and the Disney Fantasy on Oct. 27, 2012.

For Guests debarking the Disney Fantasy on Oct. 27 - A letter was provided to Guests offering a 25% discount for a future 3-, 4-, 5- or 7-night Disney Cruise Line reservation, or a future stay at the Walt Disney World Resort (up to 7-nights in length), commencing prior to Dec. 1, 2014.
For Guests debarking the Disney Dream on Oct. 28 - A letter was provided to Guests offering a 25% discount off of a future 3-night Disney Cruise Line vacation that commences prior to Dec. 1, 2014.

In order to redeem this offer, please contact Disney Cruise Line Reservations at 1-866-858-7416. Simply reference your current reservation number to receive the discount on your next cruise.

For Guests who already confirmed a future reservation while onboard, the discount will automatically be applied to their new 3-, 4- or 7-night reservation.

Please note: This offer is non-transferable, valid for only those Guests who cruised on this voyage, and excludes holiday sailings.
testtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #72
BELLE16127
DIS Veteran
 
BELLE16127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Grove City, Pennsylvania
Posts: 982

My problem with most of this isthat I beleive EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion and there are several here who disagree. If it is not their OPINION it is the WRONG opinion. People who say they don't think it was so bad are HORRABLE and UNCARING that is an OPINION some believe it doesn't look so bad.

it is all OPINION then people jump in who were not on the cruise and attack people for opinions. threads are deleted for peoples opinions...is that right or wrong????? I didn't see anything that horrable and as far as realityland and whats she said she didn't seem to have a problem about this storm hitting hundreds of thousands of people in their homes and that was left there. Maybe just maybe people who will be effected took issue with that????? I believe where I am we will get alot of rain and wind so I wait and watch.

You have to look at ALL of it she is saying something offensive to possibly someone and finds that OK yet she blasts others for what they say!!!!

It seems as long as you agree that it was the most horrable thing it is OK if you are someone who thinks it wasn't so bad you are WRONG....and I think that is what alot of people are missing here. if this is a disscussion board then people are here to discuss.
__________________

Last edited by BELLE16127; 10-29-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: deletion
BELLE16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
dad2wayne
Earning My Ears
 
dad2wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: concord, nc
Posts: 35

disney dream nightmare

here are my personal experiences as documented in the letter I sent to DCL earlier today


To whom it may concern:

This letter is in regards to the Oct 25-28th Disney Dream cruise. We have so little time together as a family due to work and school schedules. We have watched the commercials that show how time is so precious and fleeting. Our 5th Anniversary was coming up and we wanted to due something special. We had been dreaming and saving for this cruise for over 2 years. Our excitement was so infectious, we told all our friends and family we were going. We were looking forward to the “Magic” that Disney provides. We felt the cruise was a Dream vacation and how fitting was it that was the name of our ship. Our son got time off from school and one of his teachers asked him if he would give an oral report when he got back. So when I say that I will never sail with DCL again You know the seriousness of my complaint.
We left port Canaveral on time Thursday evening and our trouble started as soon as we left port, we encountered rough seas and high winds almost immediately. We tried going down to dinner all of us a little nauseas but my wife was so sick she had to return to our room almost immediately after ordering the rest of us struggled through dinner then returned to our cabin all feeling ill and had to go to bed. The next morning we awoke and saw that we were approaching the gulf of Mexico the seas had calmed and the 40 knot winds from the night before had died down. Shortly after this the captain announced that were going to attempted to make it to Nassau and promptly left the calm seas we were in and headed back into the storm. Within an hour or so the seas became rough and the winds had returned . Friday night again we barely made it through dinner before returning to our room and crawling into bed due to rough seas. Saturday morning I awoke to rough seas and 50-60knot winds so 10 miles out of Nassau the captain aborts his doomed (from the start) attempt to port in Nassau. He turns the ship around and puts us on a course for Port Canaveral, essentially chasing this category 2 hurricane that we should be avoiding! Saturday evening we go down to dinner bouncing off the walls and promptly have to leave shortly after ordering as we cannot handle the turbulent seas. We all rest for a few hours and then my son and I started to prepare our luggage for pick up which took some time because we were literally thrown across the room several times my son even fell off our bed at one point, resulting in bruising on his side. This is also the same night where my wife who has demonstrated considerable self control in the past vomited violently four times. Due to the severity of her sickness she could barely swallow anything. The last night no one in our stateroom left their beds to use the restroom for fear of hurting themselves due to the violent movement of the ship. We felt as though we were prisoners unable to go outside.
So in closing we should not have to pay for a cruise where many of the ships amenities were off limits such as the sports decks and the Aquaduck (one of the main selling points for me and my family). We paid for a verandah we couldn’t use because when it wasn’t raining we had 40-60 knot winds. My son found sharp metal shaving left on the verandah from the deck chairs that were constantly banging and smashing against every surface they could on the verandah (each other, the walls, the floor, the railing). We were unable to enjoy the highly rated restaurants due to gut wrenching aching stomachs rendering us totally sick and even incapacitated (at times). Most people gain weight on a cruise we actually lost weight. We were cheated and held captive on a ship that was far, far from a dream. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE! My entire party is still sick 24 hrs after getting off the ship.
This cruise should have never left port. We trusted DCL with our health and safety and our most precious gift of all our young and impressible son. This was also to be a gift for our 5th Anniversary, some nice gift. I have sailed on other cruise lines and NEVER experienced anything as terrible as this experience. My wife, son and Mother-in-Law have never sailed before and this was a gift that I was going to give them. I wanted their first experience to be with Disney the “#1 RATED” cruise line. This was unacceptable and horrible. When the ship left port it should have found some nice calm water to hang out in until the storm passed and not endanger everyone’s health and safety by foolishly trying to port in Nassau mere hours after a category 2 hurricane passed over.
Thereby I am requesting a full and complete refund for myself and my entire party. If we don’t receive this I may consider legal action.

Sincerely
Patrick M. Weinstein
__________________
dad2wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #74
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer
 
WicketsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by testtrack View Post
Email from Disney regarding the discounts:
Quote:
Offer Extended to Disney Cruise Line Guests Impacted by Hurricane Sandy

Disney Cruise Line® appreciates your patience and understanding with the unexpected weather delays and inconvenience created by Hurricane Sandy.

As a gesture of sincere goodwill, Disney Cruise Line is extending an offer to Guests who debarked the Disney Dream on Oct. 28 and the Disney Fantasy on Oct. 27, 2012.

For Guests debarking the Disney Fantasy on Oct. 27 - A letter was provided to Guests offering a 25% discount for a future 3-, 4-, 5- or 7-night Disney Cruise Line reservation, or a future stay at the Walt Disney World Resort (up to 7-nights in length), commencing prior to Dec. 1, 2014.
For Guests debarking the Disney Dream on Oct. 28 - A letter was provided to Guests offering a 25% discount off of a future 3-night Disney Cruise Line vacation that commences prior to Dec. 1, 2014.

In order to redeem this offer, please contact Disney Cruise Line Reservations at 1-866-858-7416. Simply reference your current reservation number to receive the discount on your next cruise.

For Guests who already confirmed a future reservation while onboard, the discount will automatically be applied to their new 3-, 4- or 7-night reservation.

Please note: This offer is non-transferable, valid for only those Guests who cruised on this voyage, and excludes holiday sailings.
I was also on the Dream Nightmare cruise and am working on my letter to DCL now. We most certainly did NOT receive what we paid for in that most of the ship's amenities were closed for the duration of the cruise. At least the Fantasy guests were able to get in most of their cruise before heading into the storm. We spent the entire three days in the storm.

In addition, if I were to rebook, it would NOT be on the same itinerary, but the discount offer for the Dream passengers is only for the same 3-day cruise, no WDW offer or other itineraries. But at this point I don't know that I will ever get on another cruise ship after my experience on this one. It was supposed to be a special Mommy and Me trip for me and my five-year old son and it was a disaster.
__________________
Me (43) DH (50) DS (5) Jake Onyx
Spot 12/15/2011




WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #75
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketsMom View Post
I was also on the Dream Nightmare cruise and am working on my letter to DCL now. We most certainly did NOT receive what we paid for in that most of the ship's amenities were closed for the duration of the cruise. At least the Fantasy guests were able to get in most of their cruise before heading into the storm. We spent the entire three days in the storm.

In addition, if I were to rebook, it would NOT be on the same itinerary, but the discount offer for the Dream passengers is only for the same 3-day cruise, no WDW offer or other itineraries. But at this point I don't know that I will ever get on another cruise ship after my experience on this one. It was supposed to be a special Mommy and Me trip for me and my five-year old son and it was a disaster.
Check with Disney to get clarification before you write off the offer.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: